Lift and shift question(s)

Okay so as I understand it, in order to use life and shift it must be same itinerary, length, stateroom. So can the ship be different?

Also, when I look at end of November/ December 2021 (my sailing was in December 2020 ? ), there are no sailings that go to the same exact places that I could find. So can I not do lift and shift?

When they first introduced L&S, they were very tight with the rules.  Over time, from the accounts that I have heard about from others, they seem to have relaxed the rules that it does not have to be the same ship.  In fact, there are a few people here, who have had luck switching from one ship to another.  My thinking is, put the request in.  It can't hurt.

I know @WAAAYTOOO for sure has had luck with this.  I think @SpeedNoodles too.

Royal is probably hectic again but the length and type of stateroom should stay the same (category might change due to class of ship).  And you have a large window, 4 weeks prior to, and 4 weeks after your original sail date (except for the holiday issue in Decmber).  

So don't just throw it at the wall once since you have probably read that Royal is infamous for "glitches" and calling to get a completely different answer. 

6 hours ago, Avatar133 said:

So can the ship be different?

The voluntary L&S for non-cancelled cruises had to be the same category room, same number or nights, and same itinerary and within 4 weeks on either side of the original sale date but a year later.  This meant that you could switch ships as long as there was an available room in the same category and it was the same length sailing/same itinerary.  Itinerary was a bit of a loose definition as they did not require that ports had to be the same and would let you switch up Eastern for Western Caribbean for example.  I think the idea was you couldn't swap a Caribbean sailing for a European sailing.  

Same itinerary, and same number of nights for Lift and Shift. 

I am not sure how it works on the consumer site but on the travel agent side of things we can input the reservation number and it gives us an option of which ships and dates would be eligible for L&S. I'm sure you could do something similar if you booked on your own.

We did a lift & shift. It had to be in the +/- 4 week window. Initially they offered a 7 day replacement, same itinerary for our current 8 night reservation, but I mentioned it should be same night to same night and all of a sudden other itineraries became available to shift to. We went from Anthem leaving NJ (Port Canaveral, Perfect Day, Nassau) to the Freedom leaving FL (Perfect Day, Puerto Rico, St. Maartin, Haiti). Both were holiday cruises. The only downfall we have encountered is that we had two connecting balcony rooms on the Anthem but when we shifted to Freedom, we could only get two balcony rooms next to each other, but not connected (due to room categories being different). This was all facilitated through our TA but I called Royal first to get an idea of what to ask for.

4 hours ago, beachmama said:

We did a lift & shift. It had to be in the +/- 4 week window. Initially they offered a 7 day replacement, same itinerary for our current 8 night reservation, but I mentioned it should be same night to same night and all of a sudden other itineraries became available to shift to. We went from Anthem leaving NJ (Port Canaveral, Perfect Day, Nassau) to the Freedom leaving FL (Perfect Day, Puerto Rico, St. Maartin, Haiti). Both were holiday cruises. The only downfall we have encountered is that we had two connecting balcony rooms on the Anthem but when we shifted to Freedom, we could only get two balcony rooms next to each other, but not connected (due to room categories being different). This was all facilitated through our TA but I called Royal first to get an idea of what to ask for.

Sadly we had the same. We had 2 rooms next to each other, but on our shifted cruise they are about 10 rooms between us. Was quite disappointing as we wanted to open up the balcony.

And one of the silliest issues with lift and shift is you can't even agree to downgrade for the same price. If we wanted to go from our ocean view with large balcony to a regular balcony ocean view it was gonna cost us 1300$ extra.

17 hours ago, Marlena said:

Sadly we had the same. We had 2 rooms next to each other, but on our shifted cruise they are about 10 rooms between us. Was quite disappointing as we wanted to open up the balcony.

And one of the silliest issues with lift and shift is you can't even agree to downgrade for the same price. If we wanted to go from our ocean view with large balcony to a regular balcony ocean view it was gonna cost us 1300$ extra.

Can you change your staterooms? Same category but just change the rooms. That shouldn't affect the price at all.

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DanielB said:

Just tried to L&S from a western with Perfect Day to eastern with Perfect Day and was told no, but the sail date is option is available at the Cruise with Confidence website.  I just submitted the request online and hope for the best. 

There is L&S programmed in the system and then there is some form of shifting that can be accomplished irrespective of what you call it.

My TA was able to somehow shift two cruises today that were non-refundable and would otherwise have incurred the standard $100 fee but she did it without any fees.  

Both had already been the benefactor of "magic" shifts already that weren't within the norms of L&S.  Both were in 2021 and not in immediate jeopardy.  Yet somehow she got them shifted into 2022 on different ships, in different regions, with different durations and different cabins in different months.  

A good travel agent is hard to beat.  It is at times like this I really appreciate a good TA.  I've cruised a bunch and don't need a TA but I always use one.  I doubt I would have been able to pull off what she accomplished today.  

The best part is... all I had to do is tell her what I wanted to do.  "Do you think I could do this...?" .  Hours later - done.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

There is L&S programmed in the system and then there is some form of shifting that can be accomplished irrespective of what you call it.

My TA was able to somehow shift two cruises today that were non-refundable and would otherwise have incurred the standard $100 fee but she did it without any fees.  

Both had already been the benefactor of "magic" shifts already that weren't within the norms of L&S.  Both were in 2021 and not in immediate jeopardy.  Yet somehow she got them shifted into 2022 on different ships, in different regions, with different durations and different cabins in different months.  

A good travel agent is hard to beat.  It is at times like this I really appreciate a good TA.  I've cruised a bunch and don't need a TA but I always use one.  I doubt I would have been able to pull off what she accomplished today.  

The best part is... all I had to do is tell her what I wanted to do.  "Do you think I could do this...?" .  Hours later - done.

Thanks!  I used MEI in the passed but did not like my agent so I went to Costco for this cruise.  I do have 3 cruises with MEI now since my last agent left, 1 was gifted to her from the old agent and 2 additional cruises booked.

Ironically I was able to shift to the one I desired and was available online even after Costco being told no.  It was requested yesterday around noon and I had an email about Cruise Planner cancellations at 8p, logged in and the new requested cruise was there.

I am happy to say I will be on Symphony of the Seas for my 50th Birthday in 2022!

We did a L & S on Celebrity back in September as it was apparent to me that there was almost no chance that the whole pandemic situation would be substantially different in January of 2021.  MEI had it done in s flash.  We went from the Edge to the Apex.  I'm glad we did it because I just did a price check on the new date and it is almost 75% higher than the rate we have.

14 hours ago, twangster said:

So true!  This is exactly why I use a TA as well.