Flights no longer offered by RCCL

Jim S

Does anyone know why RCCL no longer offer flights (and hotels) when booking a cruise on their website? In the UK, P&O and Cunard (Carnival Group) include flights and also port transfers in the price. I find this very convenient and saves a lot of time and hassle searching for flights and connections to match the cruise itenary. The prices are usually very competitive as well. ??

18 minutes ago, Jim S said:

Does anyone know why RCCL no longer offer flights (and hotels) when booking a cruise on their website? In the UK, P&O and Cunard (Carnival Group) include flights and also port transfers in the price. I find this very convenient and saves a lot of time and hassle searching for flights and connections to match the cruise itenary. The prices are usually very competitive as well. ??

Due to current situations, RCG most likely scaled back that service. Also, keep in mind that services offerred in European countries might not be offerred in the USA.

I seem to remember that option disappeared from the UK website when it switched over to the same format as the US site. At the time I suspected it might have something to do with the tight EU laws regarding responsibility when things go pear-shaped. By not offering anything other than the actual cruise, Royal would ultimately limit their responsibility to the customer. That said, now that the UK has left the EU I'm not too sure how binding those laws would now be on travel providers.

50 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I seem to remember that option disappeared from the UK website when it switched over to the same format as the US site. At the time I suspected it might have something to do with the tight EU laws regarding responsibility when things go pear-shaped. By not offering anything other than the actual cruise, Royal would ultimately limit their responsibility to the customer. That said, now that the UK has left the EU I'm not too sure how binding those laws would now be on travel providers.

Yes, it is not a very recent thing. The change took place several months ago. It might have something to do with the Travel Agents wanting to take care of customer travel arrangements to their financial benefit. ?

I was under the impression that when a travel company offers a complete vacation (flights, transfers, accommodations, etc) different consumer protection laws apply in the UK compared to a cruise only vacation where the guests arranges their own travel to the port of origin, especially when that embarkation port is not in the UK.

Did I misunderstand that difference?   

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was under the impression that when a travel company offers a complete vacation (flights, transfers, accommodations, etc) different consumer protection laws apply in the UK compared to a cruise only vacation where the guests arranges their own travel to the port of origin, especially when that embarkation port is not in the UK.

Did I misunderstand that difference?   

Yes that is correct, and RCCL come into that category as well if they provide flights along with the cruise holiday. That may well be the reason that RCCL stopped offering flights to reduce their liability. ?