Quarantine for 14 days?

imnew

I'm wondering if I decide to go on a cruise, how will the quarantine process look like? I'm from Canada, so if I go the the US for a cruise, I will need to quarantine for 14 days. I am planning on taking my kids during the "march break" in March. However, this break is only a week long, not enough to quarantine. 

Welcome to the message boards.

At the moment the U.S./Canada border is closed to leisure travel.  There are special exceptions for travel at the moment but each country has different requirements in place for entry and/or returning citizens.  

The U.S. rules can be viewed here:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Canada's rules can be viewed here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

No one knows what the rules will be in March 2021.  The border could remain closed in which case you could be denied entry to the U.S. or the border could be open in some form.  

It is possible there will be a quarantine requirement in March especially returning to Canada and this could apply to Canadian citizens returning to Canada.  

We just don't know what March will look like at this moment in time.

Welcome to the boards! 
Not sure what region you are from in Canada, but Alberta recently announced a joint federal/provincial pilot that starts Nov 2nd at Calgary International Airport and Coutts land border crossing that would see the quarantine reduced to as little as 2 days. You can read more about this in the link below including eligibility requirements.  The hope is to expand it to Edmonton in the New Year and from there to other provinces if things go well.  Aside from the pilot, there are still hurdles for sure, including school and employer quarantine policies relating to travel.  Only time will tell if this pilot may influence some of those existing policies.  I am hoping it will. ?

https://www.alberta.ca/announcements.cfm?xID=745292BA041FB-0EF1-C209-733CF878164FB904

3 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

The biggest hurdle is not being insured though as CDC and Health Canada advised against all travel on cruise ships regardless so the passenger shoulders the risk without travel medical to fall back on should the unthinkable occur. It's always amusing to read our American posters here saying let us sail when the big picture is from a financial stand point... not being insured. And most cruise fans seem to think nothing will happen to them. So it's really about shouldering that risk.

Now that the CDC is proceeding down the road to conditionally approve cruises here in America insurance will follow and apply like it used to.  U.S. Insurance companies are eager to receive premiums having had their revenues drop like so many other companies impacted by the pandemic.  

Canadians will have to wait until the border reopens AND for Health Canada to update their guidance AND for Canadian insurance companies to follow.  Once that point is reached, Canadian insurance providers will also be eager to receive premiums for travel insurance just like they used to.  They too have lost revenue from the pandemic.

It's never amusing to observe people being unable to follow their dreams or being unable to travel.  The restart may require Canadians to observe from a distance until such a time both countries agree to open the border and for Canada to give it's blessing for Canadians to cruise.  When that time comes Americans will welcome Canadians back on board and rejoice in our shared interests.  

54 minutes ago, twangster said:

Now that the CDC is proceeding down the road to conditionally approve cruises here in America insurance will follow and apply like it used to.  U.S. Insurance companies are eager to receive premiums having had their revenues drop like so many other companies impacted by the pandemic.  

Canadians will have to wait until the border reopens AND for Health Canada to update their guidance AND for Canadian insurance companies to follow.  Once that point is reached, Canadian insurance providers will also be eager to receive premiums for travel insurance just like they used to.  They too have lost revenue from the pandemic.

It's never amusing to observe people being unable to follow their dreams or being unable to travel.  The restart may require Canadians to observe from a distance until such a time both countries agree to open the border and for Canada to give it's blessing.  When that time comes Americans will welcome Canadians back on board and rejoice in our shared interests.  

We lost 2 this year and next is end of nov 2021...so they have a year to fix this mess! Lol

5 hours ago, twangster said:

At the moment the U.S./Canada border is closed to leisure travel. 

Not widely known, only land crossings are restricted to essential travel. Canadians can still fly to the US (and vise versa).

Link below, second paragraph under Content.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US#:~:text=On March 21%2C 2020%2C the,EDT on November 21%2C 2020.

There is no restriction to leave Canada. Canadian citizens and landed immigrants can certainly return to Canada, upon which they must quarantine for 14 days, etc.

Our government choses to be 'less specific' aboot it.

4 minutes ago, Gears said:

Not widely known, only land crossings are restricted to essential travel. Canadians can still fly to the US (and vise versa).

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US#:~:text=On March 21%2C 2020%2C the,EDT on November 21%2C 2020.

There is no restriction to leave Canada. Canadian citizens and landed immigrants can certainly return to Canada, upon which they must quarantine for 14 days, etc.

My understanding is that Canadians can fly to the US for any reason, including tourism, but American's are only permitted to fly to Canada for "Essential Travel", and not tourism:

Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

I have some familiarity with crossing from Maine to NB based on my brother-in-law going to see their parents.  He is a naturalized American citizen.  No Canadian Passport or other proof of Canadian citizenship.

He was granted an exception for a few combined reasons. Their father was in St John about to undergo another a tricky heart surgery.  He has been put on the deed of their parents property and has a camp/land of his own, so he is a land owner.  He agreed to quarantine for 14 days at his isolated camp.

He had to submit the mileage on his truck when he crossed into NB and have it verified before he went back into Maine.  He had to account for every mile (KM) he drove in Canada.  Lots of paperwork.

Upon return to the states, he had to again quarantine for 14 days.

My wife called for info on going there and was basically told the same, although she would have a few less hoops to jump through because she has both a US and a Canadian passport, so she can prove Canadian citizenship (she has dual).  The 28 days total of quarantine is tough for her as she does not have that much personal time.  Her brother is self-employed and was able to quarantine.

8 hours ago, Gears said:

This link doesn't say Canadians are free to enter the U.S.  

8 hours ago, karl_nj said:

My understanding is that Canadians can fly to the US for any reason, including tourism, but American's are only permitted to fly to Canada for "Essential Travel", and not tourism:

Canadians have no special exemption to enter the U.S.  

Granted CBP may not be enforcing the current policy as rigidly as Canada is, but make no mistake, travel from Canada to the U.S, for tourism is not currently allowed by policy.  

The following categories do not fall within the definition of “essential travel:”

• Individuals traveling for tourism purposes, such as sightseeing, recreation, gambling, or attending cultural events in the United States.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Canadians have no special exemption to enter the U.S.  

Granted CBP may not be enforcing the current policy as rigidly as Canada is, but make no mistake, travel from Canada to the U.S, for tourism is not currently allowed by policy.  

The following categories do not fall within the definition of “essential travel:”

• Individuals traveling for tourism purposes, such as sightseeing, recreation, gambling, or attending cultural events in the United States.

Are then all the snowbirds stuck in Canada for the winter?

6 hours ago, twangster said:

It's the specification of land crossing. We don't get it either, but it has been looked at and the questions asked. Here's a couple of news articles:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-closure-fly-travel-covid-19-1.5754763

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/why-can-canadians-still-fly-to-the-u-s-it-s-not-up-to-canada-1.5107317

38 minutes ago, SandyW said:

Are then all the snowbirds stuck in Canada for the winter?

Many are stuck, yes. Some choosing not to go and those who would usually drive (with vehicle, belongings, etc.) can't cross.

There are stories of people who have a summer place/cottage here that are not winterized. They are having challenges finding alternative accommodations for the winter.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

Kinda crazy that China is still on the "no entry list", since they are one of the few countries that have managed to control the virus.  Reminds me of when NY/NJ was still on the quarantine list for Florida, even though the north-east had better COVID-19 numbers (at the time).

This quarantine thing is so tricky!  I wasn't even thinking about this until last night when my daughter brought up our April 2021 cruise.  We live in RI and she is a teacher so only has the one week off that we will be cruising.  If things stay as is (and that is such a big IF cuz who knows week-to-week or day-to-day what COVID is going to do, let alone 6 months from now!!!) then after returning from our trip she could possibly face a 14-day quarantine (actually we all could!)  Her school system would not allow her sick time or personal time since it was her choice to travel!   

So now I have to consider whether it is best to once again move our family cruise (original April 2020) to 2022 with a L&S before that is no longer an option!!

I am so sad because my original plan was to bring my family on a vacation to celebrate my retirement...if I have to wait 'til 2022 (2 years later!!) several of my grandkids will now be considered "adults" and it just seems that the whole experience is going to be so different ? .  I mean it will be great to be with my kids and grandkids but the excitement level has already changed since our original "waiting period"...it's like it's old news now and no big deal!  Very sad and I know there are soooo many of us out there in the same situation. 

Thanks for listening...I think I really needed to put into words how I am feeling. ?

8 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

This quarantine thing is so tricky!  I wasn't even thinking about this until last night when my daughter brought up our April 2021 cruise.  We live in RI and she is a teacher so only has the one week off that we will be cruising.  If things stay as is (and that is such a big IF cuz who knows week-to-week or day-to-day what COVID is going to do, let alone 6 months from now!!!) then after returning from our trip she could possibly face a 14-day quarantine (actually we all could!)  Her school system would not allow her sick time or personal time since it was her choice to travel!   

So now I have to consider whether it is best to once again move our family cruise (original April 2020) to 2022 with a L&S before that is no longer an option!!

The public school teacher I live with has had her normal breaks all up ended.  There is no fall break in 2020 as it's already been eliminated.  Instead they are using the week of Thanksgiving as their break.  Spring break is thought to be on the books but the actual week may change at any time depending how this plays out.  We have a cruise booked over the summer break but there is no confidence the summer break will remain a break as they scramble to figure out how to educate as a result of the pandemic.  Remote learning does not work well but it's the only option right now.  Students are not learning and the effect on our society will cause many school boards to look at the calendar with fresh eyes once classes move back into the classroom.  Work loads are increasing for teachers but pay is not AND they have to supply their own masks and PPE when classrooms do reopen.

Some of my booked cruises with family may turn into solo cruises due to unexpected scheduling changes.  Strange times indeed. 

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

Remote learning does not work well but it's the only option right now.  Students are not learning and the effect on our society will cause many school boards to look at the calendar with fresh eyes once classes move back into the classroom.  

Some of my booked cruises with family may turn into solo cruises due to unexpected scheduling changes.  Strange times indeed. 

Interesting.  Not sure what state you live in but here in RI most students are back in the classrooms either half-time or full time.  My daughter teaches in one school district that is full time in class but she lives in a school district that has the kids going half-time while distance learning the other.  Both my daughters opted for full distance learning for their kids out of fear of what being in class even once a week could do (my teacher daughter has so many stories!!) and being afraid if an outbreak occurred it would mean their husbands would have to quarantine and miss work, etc...etc...etc!!  My retirement has turned into "teaching" my grandkids for 3 out of 5 days/week.  I agree this way of learning is horrible and frustrating and yes, learning is not happening as it should!!! 

Our entire lives just seem to be on hold...and everyone is unsure what we can and cannot do, what we can look forward to (or not!), the stories are endless and truly very sad for everyone.  Having a cruise planned has kept me from complete despair...but that is slowly crumbling...   

21 hours ago, twangster said:

Remote learning does not work well but it's the only option right now.  Students are not learning and the effect on our society will cause many school boards to look at the calendar with fresh eyes once classes move back into the classroom.

I agree remote learning is far from ideal, but it's the best of many bad decisions. Part of what makes remote learning so difficult is the educational system today was designed for more group learning techniques than when you or I were in school. 

Our kids are still doing the remote learning option. Not sure if they will transition back this school year or next.

I feel that the quarantine period will be greatly reduced in the near future to facilitate travel and the economies again. With rapid testing becoming more common and with 2-3 waves/outbreaks behind us soon, plus vaccines starting in early 2021...I am cautiously optimistic that by late spring things will be very different for travel rules. 

We aren't planning on any travels til the summer and then hopefully next fall back to cruising with very few restrictions still in place.

If this all happens earlier, then we will be going of course.

I work for a hospital in NJ, and time off/travel policies have been changing frequently since March.  Was able to take my 2 weeks in late July/early August that was supposed to be mainly used for my 10 day Adventure cruise, but obviously that didn't happen.  Instead, since the Northeast was at a Covid lull at that point, we traveled a couple of hours north to Connecticut, stayed at a suite hotel with a pool, and either ordered takeout for dinner, or actually ventured out to dine (they had started limited outdoor dining) for a few dinners and one breakfast.  

Not sure what the policy will be come March, when we are scheduled for a cruise on Grandeur.

They did send out a survey to employees last week, asking about your willingness to have be vaccinated when available, so I'm hopeful that when one becomes SAFELY available, I will be able to be vaccinated. DH & DD's actually fall into higher risk categories (DH-on meds for BP, etc, DD's both have autoimmune disorders) so they might be eligible earlier than most.  Assuming, of course, I am convinced of the vaccine's safety profile.