Cruising resumes for North America / USA only?

4 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

The border is open and airlines are marketing the US and sun spots. Only land is closed but I agree we will not be insured.

To state the land border is closed isn't accurate.  

The border is open for commerce.  In theory at least the border is closed to all leisure travel, even by air.  Practically, some Canadians are vacationing by air and getting around the intent of the current regulations.  Those darn canucks breaking the rules.

The intent at current is to allow business to continue which is why the land border isn't closed (to business) and while some Canadians may flaunt the rules to fly for vacation under the guise of business that isn't supposed to be allowed today.  Four months from now is a very different story.  Only time will tell.

It never makes sense to predict the future but if you have this ability please share the results of the U.S. election now.  ? 

38 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Yes it is open for commerce however with the way the airlines are marketing sun spots and parts of THE US one could never guess. Also I foresee more cancellations and the holiday season cruise wise. 

Decemeber 2020 probably won't happen. As per the CDC guidelines and logistically it's less than 60 days. So the holidays are pretty much a write off.

The CDC may limit passenger or crew capacity, itinerary, ports of call, length of voyage, onboard or shoreside activities.

These materials should be submitted at least 60 calendar days prior to the date on which the cruise ship operator proposes to commence restricted passenger operations.

You seem to have taken the position that everyone in America thinks cruises will start tomorrow.   That is an incorrect assumption.  

We all know the restart will be a process that will take time.  That process couldn't start until the CDC made their announcement yesterday.   The process has begun.  Royal is crewing ships today as a means to fulfil the CDC requirement for sample or test cruises.   Once that is accepted by the CDC they'll move onto the next requirement.  

Everyone here knows this will take time and there will be milestones to complete but we all see that process is now underway.  

6 hours ago, Morganno said:

Did they say US sailings only? I must have missed this part.

I'm hoping European sailings begin also in March 2021.

The CDC order being discussed in this thread applies to north American embarkations only; I have not heard anything from the reciprocal agencies in Europe about their resumption plans

22 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

The reason why I asked that question is, I have a sailing for Feb 1st, leaving Port of Miami, 4 Night on Navigator.  Since the Canadian borders is closed up until March, then I need to decide if if should reprice my cruise for a July 2021 or lift and shift for Jan 2022.

The border is open if you fly actually. I know people who have went to the states during this time. HOWEVER,  they had to quarantine for 14 days after.  If you work from home thats easy. But if not its difficult.

1 hour ago, Marlena said:

The border is open if you fly actually. I know people who have went to the states during this time. HOWEVER,  they had to quarantine for 14 days after.  If you work from home thats easy. But if not its difficult.

They're working on deploying the rapid test at CDN airports for arrivals to avoid the 14 day quarantine if they test negative. I believe the first deployment is Calgary...haven't seen a schedule after that.

18 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

The reason why I asked that question is, I have a sailing for Feb 1st, leaving Port of Miami, 4 Night on Navigator.  Since the Canadian borders is closed up until March, then I need to decide if if should reprice my cruise for a July 2021 or lift and shift for Jan 2022.

Border is not closed till March..they extend it for 30 days at a time.

You maybe confusing with with the Canadian goverment trying to make Canadians feel good by banning all cruise ships till March, but what a joke..I don't know any cruises that are coming to Canada in Jan...lol

I would guess that you will still have to do the 14 day quarantine still then which will be the biggest deterrent for most Canadians to travel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, Rene Desmarais said:

So going to Miami port and getting on the ship will not be an issue.  Coming back home won't be an issue either as my wife and I both work, so we can do the 14 day quarantine.

So I will keep any Feb 1 sailing

thanks for all of the replies

IMHO 2/1 is a pipe dream especially with the incoming administrations game plan involving further lockdown & restrictions on just about everything. 

The current travel restrictions are bilateral.  The difference between the two countries is a matter of enforcement.  With very low volumes US CBP isn't turning away Canadians trying to enter the US at the moment.  If large volumes of Canadian travelers show up at the border I suspect CBP would begin to enforce the travel restrictions like Canada is now.  CBP is basically taking the approach "If you are crazy enough to want to come here right now, come on in".

Bottom line is that ships are not sailing anytime soon.  The current administration did a feel good baby step with the conditional sail order but it is anything but a green light to cruises resuming.  The next administration also won't green light cruises during a public health crisis.  Until death rates fall and the situation stabilizes there will be no cruises regardless which administration is in power. 

More importantly what crazy Canuck would want to go to the US while the US has no control of the pandemic?  

The upcoming vaccines will change the game.  Only once they start to trend the public health crisis downward will the conditional sail order really come into play.  Only then will ships sail.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The current travel restrictions are bilateral.  The difference between the two countries is a matter of enforcement.  With very low volumes US CBP isn't turning away Canadians trying to enter the US at the moment.  If large volumes of Canadian travelers show up at the border I suspect CBP would begin to enforce the travel restrictions like Canada is now.  CBP is basically taking the approach "If you are crazy enough to want to come here right now, come on in".

Bottom line is that ships are not sailing anytime soon.  The current administration did a feel good baby step with the conditional sail order but it anything but a green light to cruises resuming.  The next administration also won't green light cruises during a public health crisis.  Until death rates fall and the situation stabilizes there will be no cruises regardless which administration is in power. 

More importantly what crazy Canuck would want to go to the US while the US has no control of the pandemic?  

The upcoming vaccines will change the game.  Only once they start to trend the public health crisis downward will the conditional sail order really come into play.  Only then will ships sail.

Right on -  restart has nothing to do with an arbitrary date.   Vaccine deployment is probably the most likely event to get things moving and alter trends.