CDC Conditional Sailing Order

Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and will soon be published in the Federal Register.

This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Executive Summary

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announces this framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship passenger operations. Considering the continued spread of COVID-19 worldwide and increased risk of COVID-19 on cruise ships, a careful approach is needed to safely resume cruise ship passenger operations. CDC is establishing requirements to mitigate the COVID-19 risk to passengers and crew, prevent the further spread of COVID-19 from cruise ships into U.S. communities, and protect public health and safety. After expiration of CDC’s No Sail Order (NSO) on October 31, 2020, CDC will take a phased approach to resuming cruise ship passenger operations in U.S. waters.

The initial phases will consist of testing and additional safeguards for crew members.

CDC will ensure cruise ship operators have adequate health and safety protections for crew members while these cruise ship operators build the laboratory capacity needed to test future passengers. Subsequent phases will include simulated voyages to test cruise ship operators’ ability to mitigate COVID-19 risk, certification for ships that meet specific requirements, and a phased return to cruise ship passenger voyages in a manner that mitigates COVID-19 risk among passengers, crew members, and U.S. communities. These phases are subject to change based on public health considerations and cruise ship operators’ demonstrated ability to mitigate COVID- 19 risk. CDC will issue additional orders as needed that will be published in the Federal Register and technical instructions that will be subsequently posted on CDC’s website.

This Order additionally announces requirements for the initial phases relating to crew testing. CDC considers adequate crew safeguards as demonstrated through laboratory testing for SARS coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes COVID-19, an integral part of the initial phases prior to resuming passenger operations.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Executive Summary

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announces this framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship passenger operations. Considering the continued spread of COVID-19 worldwide and increased risk of COVID-19 on cruise ships, a careful approach is needed to safely resume cruise ship passenger operations. CDC is establishing requirements to mitigate the COVID-19 risk to passengers and crew, prevent the further spread of COVID-19 from cruise ships into U.S. communities, and protect public health and safety. After expiration of CDC’s No Sail Order (NSO) on October 31, 2020, CDC will take a phased approach to resuming cruise ship passenger operations in U.S. waters.

The initial phases will consist of testing and additional safeguards for crew members.

CDC will ensure cruise ship operators have adequate health and safety protections for crew members while these cruise ship operators build the laboratory capacity needed to test future passengers. Subsequent phases will include simulated voyages to test cruise ship operators’ ability to mitigate COVID-19 risk, certification for ships that meet specific requirements, and a phased return to cruise ship passenger voyages in a manner that mitigates COVID-19 risk among passengers, crew members, and U.S. communities. These phases are subject to change based on public health considerations and cruise ship operators’ demonstrated ability to mitigate COVID- 19 risk. CDC will issue additional orders as needed that will be published in the Federal Register and technical instructions that will be subsequently posted on CDC’s website.

This Order additionally announces requirements for the initial phases relating to crew testing. CDC considers adequate crew safeguards as demonstrated through laboratory testing for SARS coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes COVID-19, an integral part of the initial phases prior to resuming passenger operations.

I presume this is YOUR summary taken out of context of the original Executive summary.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Direct copy of the CSO Executive Summary.  

CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf 211.33 kB · 0 downloads

I've seen and read the entire 29 pages of the Order and you cut-&-pasted certain sentences/paragraphs and not verbatim from the Order which can be construed as misleading. I suggest letting everyone have the opportunity to read the entire 29 page Order. This way, everyone knows where the cruise industry truly stands.

Still, cruise companies will have to prove to the CDC that COVID protocols are working with specific testing requirements and trial runs before passengers can return.

15 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I've seen and read the entire 29 pages of the Order and you cut-&-pasted certain sentences/paragraphs and not verbatim from the Order which can be construed as misleading. I suggest letting everyone have the opportunity to read the entire 29 page Order. This way, everyone knows where the cruise industry truly stands.

I pulled the PDF from the CDC URL above.  The Executive Summary was copied DIRECTLY from the 40 page document published by the CDC on their website.  These are their words, not mine.  Please stop misleading people.

437310122_ScreenShot2020-10-30at12_17_03PM.thumb.jpg.e458e4224e83b73f090f11d7d7861cab.jpg

From the CDC website:

See the attached Order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 40 pages] for the full requirements.

13 minutes ago, michelle said:

Well this is very exciting news, because its more positive news !!!  bring on cruises

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  There is still lots of work to be done such as cruise companies will have to prove to the CDC that COVID protocols are working with specific testing requirements and trial runs before passengers can return. BUT, most importantly, EVERYONE MUST FOLLOW PROTOCOLS!! We all need to remember to wear masks starting NOW !!

Practice Makes Perfect GIF - Peanuts Schroeder PracticeMakesPerfect -  Discover & Share GIFs

In my opinion, Royal seems to have planned for this day and start this process as soon as TODAY!!!!!   From all the stuff we have been reading on how they established protocols for COVID19 bring it on!!!!

And to be honest, I really don't care what the whole document says, just give them everything they want and sound the "horn" in the channel.

It sounds like the CDC actually listened to the comments submitted by the public

• While CDC bases its public health determinations on the best available science and not on public opinion, the willingness of the public to accept measures to mitigate the risk of transmitting COVID-19 onboard cruise ships is noteworthy. Accordingly, CDC carefully considered these comments in drafting this framework.

It also sounds like the CDC actually did some due diligence and weighed other alternatives.  They also account for some operators (cough cough Carnival) that have yet to submit a response on their plans or protocols.   

• Another alternative considered was continuing to issue No Sail Orders as occurred between March 14 and September 30, 2020. However, this alternative was not found to be as optimal as the current framework. The benefits of this framework outweigh the costs of not allowing cruise ships to sail because it allows for flexibility where cruise ships have taken the necessary precautions to mitigate risk, while continuing to prohibit passenger operations onboard ships that have failed to implement such precautions. As such, the current framework represents a tailored approach that was determined to be preferable to the status quo No Sail Order. This framework allows for individual cruise lines to progress through phases at variable paces. This enables cruise lines successfully implementing public health measures to return to passenger operations more quickly while others by necessity may move more slowly. The framework not only encourages cruise lines that are more successful at mitigating the spread of COVID-19 but provides a realistic timeline that anticipates COVID-19 continuing to be present and affecting cruise ship travel.

It's beginning to look like the Healthy Sail Panel put together between RCG and NCLH was the right thing to do and money well spent.

NOW, the big questions if when flying into a state, let's say Florida for this example:

- Do we fly in the same day and straight onto the boat?

- Can we fly in a day prior and would this affect any mandatory quarantine regulations?

- Flying back home from Florida, do we have to quarantine once we fly back into our home state considering Florida is on many banned state lists?

There are lots of questions yet to be answered and address by either the cruise line and/or State agencies.

43 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Still, cruise companies will have to prove to the CDC that COVID protocols are working with specific testing requirements and trial runs before passengers can return.

You may want to re read the document again, because what Twangster posted above is verbatim to what the executive summary says, in order and in context.

Can we start speculating on how RCI will begin sailing?  RCI indicates it will take about 6 months to ramp up.  Does this mean they start with one ship on or about Dec 1, and add 1 ship per week?  Do they sail only 1-2 ships for a while and then ramp up more quickly at the end?

Any thoughts on what ships/itineraries they will sail first?

This is mostly for fun as RCI will have to publish their December sailings very soon no matter what we guess! ?

My guess: They start with 1 ship out of FLL and add a ship out of Port Canaveral and one out of Miami all in December.  After that, my crystal ball gets fuzzy, but I suspect Galveston will follow pretty quick in late December or January as Galveston is a large drive in port that probably won't have much competition. (Of course I might be biased as I have a Liberty of the Seas cruise scheduled out of Galveston in January. ? )

3 minutes ago, steverk said:

Can we start speculating on how RCI will begin sailing?  RCI indicates it will take about 6 months to ramp up.  Does this mean they start with one ship on or about Dec 1, and add 1 ship per week?  Do they sail only 1-2 ships for a while and then ramp up more quickly at the end?

Any thoughts on what ships/itineraries they will sail first?

This is mostly for fun as RCI will have to publish their December sailings very soon no matter what we guess! ?

My guess: They start with 1 ship out of FLL and add a ship out of Port Canaveral and one out of Miami all in December.  After that, my crystal ball gets fuzzy, but I suspect Galveston will follow pretty quick in late December or January as Galveston is a large drive in port that probably won't have much competition. (Of course I might be biased as I have a Liberty of the Seas cruise scheduled out of Galveston in January. ? )

I do not think there is any way in the world they will be ready December 1 for paying customers. They have a framework to operate under, however they must PROVE the framework works before they can have any revenue cruises.

RCI may remain somewhat mum on their plans and actual dates for things like test cruises.  They'll want to make sure all boxes are checked and the CDC approves as it progresses.  

Like building a house the permits and inspections must occur in the right order before a certificate of occupancy is secured.

Don't be surprised if Royal doesn't publish an exact plan for the journey they are about to undertake for everyone to dissect.  

Crew has already started to fly into Florida for quarantine.  While in quarantine, Royal zoom's what's it's gonna look like on the ships and what new responsibilities each crew has to follow.  Crew boards ships week of the 16th for at least three weeks of testing.  Bam first cruise passengers board ships no later then 12/7.   

Ok, that's my perfect world!!  lol  And I hope you all know this is just my crazy thinking of how I think it should shake out!!!

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

RCI may remain somewhat mum on their plans and actual dates for things like test cruises.  They'll want to make sure all boxes are checked and the CDC approves as it progresses.  

Like building a house the permits and inspections must occur in the right order before a certificate of occupancy is secured.

Don't be surprised if Royal doesn't publish an exact plan for the journey they are about to undertake for everyone to dissect.  

I agree. As much as we'd love to see the testing schedule and know every little detail, those may not be released. All we're likely to see is which cruises they plan to sail, at least in early December. They seem to be trying to cancel cruises about a month out, so I'm guessing the next week will let us know which ships they are likely to start with.

I do however, think that they *could* be ready for paying customers on December 1st (staying optimistic). They have a lot of these requirements laid out already with the Healthy Sail Panel, and I assume that they are ready to go at implementing these. Due to having multiple ships, they could do something like:

First week of November: Gather crew, prepare plans, do testing and quarantining that hasn't already been completed as well as training.

Second week of November: Run "test cruises" that don't leave the port with crew members as staff and as guests. This could be a 3/4 night in Miami and a 7 night in FLL. 

Third week of November: Have same two ships do another test cruise, but leave the dock, visit Cococay and follow all requirements.

Fourth week of November: Repeat of third week, ensure all protocols are working, tweak plans if necessary, cancel more cruises or add more cruises depending on demand and CDC.

First week of December: Cruises start.

Obviously just an idea. But I could see it working.

16 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Crew has already started to fly into Florida for quarantine.  While in quarantine, Royal zoom's what's it's gonna look like on the ships and what new responsibilities each crew has to follow.  Crew boards ships week of the 16th for at least three weeks of testing.  Bam first cruise passengers board ships no later then 12/7.   

Ok, that's my perfect world!!  lol  And I hope you all know this is just my crazy thinking of how I think it should shake out!!!

@RBRSKI, would you be willing to amend the date on this? I have an Oasis cruise on 12/6 that I would really like to sail! ? 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I pulled the PDF from the CDC URL above.  The Executive Summary was copied DIRECTLY from the 40 page document published by the CDC on their website.  These are their words, not mine.  Please stop misleading people.

437310122_ScreenShot2020-10-30at12_17_03PM.thumb.jpg.e458e4224e83b73f090f11d7d7861cab.jpg

From the CDC website:

See the attached Order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 40 pages] for the full requirements.

Does the "simulated cruise" mean crew only sailings or land based mock-up sailing (computer simulation) of going through procedures?   I'm guessing it means crew only sailing to practice procedures based upon comments Mr. Fain made yesterday.

4 minutes ago, nate91 said:

@RBRSKI, would you be willing to amend the date on this? I have an Oasis cruise on 12/6 that I would really like to sail! ? 

Absolutely,  I just went into "settings" updated the start date to 12/6 and saved!!! 

I hope to see you during disembarkation on 12/13 as this is when we are boarding!!!

3 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Does the "simulated cruise" mean crew only sailings or land based mock-up sailing (computer simulation) of going through procedures?   I'm guessing it means crew only sailing to practice procedures based upon comments Mr. Fain made yesterday.

Not sure anyone outside of Royal really knows.  However I find it encouraging that Royal has long talked about crew only test cruises or using FL employees as test cruise participants.  It's almost like the CDC read their playbook and incorporated that into the CSO. 

Just got tip: RCG will be making an announcement real soon as to those cruises that are longer than 7 nites, and from what I've been told, one avenue that is definately being spoken about is taking a longer cruise (i.e.: 9 nite) and splitting it into two cruises, a 4 nite and a 5 nite. I like it!!! B2B2B2B2B HERE I COME!!

Here I Come GIFs | Tenor

8 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

So canada is being diligent and not allowing ships as a formality till Mar1. I agree about he masks but there will be red and blue sailors and one would hope hey would both abide by the new policies considering the US is on the brink of 9 million today. The biggest elephant I he room is someone needs to get their house in order but this is a good start for the industry I guess and I can see a lot of disappointed asymptomatic people being turned away at the pier 

If the U.S. in general would adopt half of the mitigation protocols proposed by cruise ships it would go a long way to getting the situation under control.  

The cruise industry has an opportunity to show America how to open and operate successfully despite a pandemic.  

Besides, the biggest elephant in the room may have left the building in a few months.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Me too!  (Can I "borrow" your street address for my C&A account?  ? )

Absolutely, to help out another cruise junkie, consider it done!   

On a serious note, while this pandemic has affected many lives, I am so grateful to have my health and not have know of anyone who has died from it.  Personally, I never thought it would bother me as much as it has not to be able to cruise for so many months. It's a little depressing for me and my family.  Please don't take this as me not understanding the scope of COVID19 but it truly is nice to have some positive news.

14 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Just got tip: RCG will be making an announcement real soon as to those cruises that are longer than 7 nites, and from what I've been told, one avenue that is definately being spoken about is taking a longer cruise (i.e.: 9 nite) and splitting it into two cruises, a 4 nite and a 5 nite. I like it!!! B2B2B2B2B HERE I COME!!

Here I Come GIFs | Tenor

Brilliant!!!!

18 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Here I Come GIFs | Tenor

Can you use a Shaq meme on a Royal Caribbean discussion?

15 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

I can see a lot of disappointed asymptomatic people testing positive being turned away at the pier 

Alberta recently discontinued asymptomatic testing (exception being close contacts of known cases) due to a very low positivity rate. Only 7 positive COVID cases per 10,000 tests since asymptomatic testing began.