Nassau or other Caribbean Port

RBRSKI

I honestly can't remember if this topic ever came up but I am bored! 

Why couldn't Royal begin a cruise from a Caribbean port that could support the operations necessary to turn around a ship?  I understand that many things go into this process (food, fuel, embarkation and dis-embarkation), I say figure something out on a temporary basis to get these ship sailing with passengers .   It's obvious the CDC is being unreasonable.  

Probably because the Caribbean islands don't necessarily want to open their borders to tens of thousands of travellers coming through - and likely bringing Corona Virus with them.  They do not have the capacity in their health care systems to deal with a significant outbreak on the islands.   Just a thought?

I  have to imagine - just by seeing the ports as we pull in - that they don't have the infrastructure in place to handle the load of work you mentioned required to get a cruise ship ready to sail. And it would take longer than worth it to build something to make it happen. Just thinking about the new terminal in Galveston to get an idea and it seems unfeasible.

Plus I'm sure there is something to do with the flags or local laws that would prohibit them doing cruises like that.

As a temporary measure, it makes some level of sense. 

But at the end of the day, the cruise lines want to have as many cruisers as they can safely handle, and I think you do that by having your terminal ports in a country with the third largest population in the world. So I think putting efforts into pressuring the CDC and whomever else is the right way to go.

18 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Why couldn't Royal begin a cruise from a Caribbean port that could support the operations necessary to turn around a ship?

Because that would require everyone to fly internationally to get to the port. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but a great many (dare I say the majority?) of guests drive to the ship, or at least engage in a domestic flight.

An international trip requires everyone to have passports, among other requirements.

In short, the issue would be being able to sell the ship as well as a ship departing from the US.  Plus, there's the fact the cruise lines get their supply chain from Florida.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Because that would require everyone to fly internationally to get to the port. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but a great many (dare I say the majority?) of guests drive to the ship, or at least engage in a domestic flight.

An international trip requires everyone to have passports, among other requirements.

In short, the issue would be being able to sell the ship as well as a ship departing from the US.  Plus, there's the fact the cruise lines get their supply chain from Florida.

Also, I believe (just my opinion) that the CDC could make it very difficult to get to and from these embarkation ports if they were so inclined. 

I can't understand for the life of me how the CDC is allowing the airlines to fill all seats on the plane, while the cruise industry has such a better plan to accommodate for COVID19!  jetBlue just announced today all seats will be filled starting 12/1!!!

51 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

I can't understand for the life of me how the CDC is allowing the airlines to fill all seats on the plane, while the cruise industry has such a better plan to accommodate for COVID19!  jetBlue just announced today all seats will be filled starting 12/1!!!

It is just a question of how good your lobbyists are. While rubbing shoulders with a complete stranger is not seen as problematic, being on a ship with very stringent cleaning procedures and as much space and clean air as possible is a strict NO NO. May be there are other things we don't know about ...

13 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Does the CDC does have authority to override the FAA wrt air travel? I'm under the impression that they don't. 

19 minutes ago, KWong said:

Does the CDC does have authority to override the FAA wrt air travel? I'm under the impression that they don't. 

Perhaps for international travel but my limited knowledge of U.S. constitutional powers thinks maybe only Congress can control interstate or domestic travel between states.  Not entirely sure when it comes to public health. 

19 hours ago, haf said:

It is just a question of how good your lobbyists are. While rubbing shoulders with a complete stranger is not seen as problematic, being on a ship with very stringent cleaning procedures and as much space and clean air as possible is a strict NO NO. May be there are other things we don't know about ...

One is an American company and one is not.

• 2 weeks later...

I am telling ya, these cruise lines have to figure out a temporary place other then the US, to start and end cruises quickly!!!   The individuals in government that wants to keep everything shut down is not going to stop!!!

If it doesn't take down one of the larger cruise lines, I will be shocked!

17 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

I am telling ya, these cruise lines have to figure out a temporary place other then the US, to start and end cruises quickly!!!   The individuals in government that wants to keep everything shut down is not going to stop!!!

This really isn’t a viable option; I’m my opinion. 

1. A large percentage of cruisers do not have a passport, this would preclude them flying to an international port for embarkation. 

2. The CDC, under the guise of public health, could mandate quarantine measures  on anyone returning from these cruises. 

18 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

This really isn’t a viable option; I’m my opinion. 

1. A large percentage of cruisers do not have a passport, this would preclude them flying to an international port for embarkation. 

2. The CDC, under the guise of public health, could mandate quarantine measures  on anyone returning from these cruises.  

1. I'm reaching out to this board on this one!  I believe the majority have passports.  Maybe 85%  Need it to fly back into the US and people want that option!

2.What quarantine for two weeks when we get back to the United States like they do now!  Please they can't keep track of that now!

2 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

1. I'm reaching out to this board on this one!  I believe the majority have passports.  Maybe 85%  Need it to fly back into the US and people want that option!

2.What quarantine for two weeks when we get back to the United States like they do now!  Please they can't keep track of that now!

In my experience one only need to look at CBP upon return from a cruise; the line for US citizens returning with birth certificate alone is quite long.  For the record the state department states 42% of Americans have a passport.  I can’t find anything that breaks it down by cruise aficionados alone. 
Make no mistake, the government is making it impossible to cruise from the US, they could easily make it very difficult for an American citizen to do it from elsewhere. Never underestimate the vindictive nature of the a federal agency. 

2 hours ago, PaulRC said:

I thought you have to have a passport to cruise.  Every time I have gone with RC or the other guys they told me I have to have a passport

For American citizens they can take a  cruise that begins and ends at the same American port (with few exceptions) carrying only a birth certificate and photo ID. 

16 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

For American citizens they can take a  cruise that begins and ends at the same American port (with few exceptions) carrying only a birth certificate and photo ID.

Wow that's news to me.  They always tell me I need a passport, for me and my family.  Very strange but good to know

On 11/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, RBRSKI said:

Pretty hard to find a country that want to risk their health system to allow people in. The travel advisory is at level 3 ( reconsider travel) or higher for all countries. 

I am not worried about my own health but everyone I come in contact with.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:11 PM, PaulRC said:

Wow that's news to me.  They always tell me I need a passport, for me and my family.  Very strange but good to know

The one big thing why I never just used a birth certificate is from understanding, god for bid I get sick on a cruise and wanted to fly home, this is not possible with a birth certificate.  I'm I correct on this statement Gang?

7 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Pretty hard to find a country that want to risk their health system to allow people in. The travel advisory is at level 3 ( reconsider travel) or higher for all countries. 

I am not worried about my own health but everyone I come in contact with.

If the cruise lines took the last 6 months ( I am being generous) developing protocol, which I believe they even started the sail health committee, a foreign country like the Bahamas could be SAFE and generate huge amounts of money making it a embarkation port!! 

I always wanted to stay positive with when cruises would resume, but our knuckleheads in DC are bound and determine to stop cruising until who the god knows!  LOL

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

If the cruise lines took the last 6 months ( I am being generous) developing protocol, which I believe they even started the sail health committee, a foreign country like the Bahamas could be SAFE and generate huge amounts of money making it a embarkation port!! 

I always wanted to stay positive with when cruises would resume, but our knuckleheads in DC are bound and determine to stop cruising until who the god knows!  LOL

A big strike against having somewhere like The Bahamas being an origin point of cruises geared towards the US market is that cruises appeal to so many Americans without a passport. If you start asking Americans to fly to other countries to start their cruise, then you start asking Americans to get a passport to cruise...which many Americans won't do. 

If they push the no sail order to mid 2021 and if the cruise lines made a wise choice to start cruises outside of the US,  I guarantee you that the die hard cruise community will do whatever they need to do so they can cruise again!!   Don't underestimate the Cruise Crazy People!!!  LOL

Did Royal ever finalize the Resort deal in Freeport?   If so, use that resort for a pre cruise quarantine for maybe one or two nights, have the ships dock in Nassau for provisions then move to Freeport to pick passengers up!

I know I am living in fantasy world, but I helps me feel better.

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

If they push the no sail order to mid 2021 and if the cruise lines made a wise choice to start cruises outside of the US,  I guarantee you that the die hard cruise community will do whatever they need to do so they can cruise again!!   Don't underestimate the Cruise Crazy People!!!  LOL

Cruise crazy people are only part of the crowd. A bigger part are occasional or newbie cruisers, and I still say a lot of those Americans, which would be the major target audience of any Caribbean cruises, won't have a passport. Additionally, getting a passport now is slower and still an expense many Americans probably won't do just to cruise. Just my opinion, no facts behind it, but I'm pretty confident in my opinion ?

I think you are underestimating the Cruise Crazy People(this is no way of insulting those of us who love cruising), just look at the amount of people who have joined "Volunteers of the Seas", on Facebook, it's crazy.  

Cruise lines are gonna have a hard time getting occasional or newbie cruisers back on cruise ships once they open up!

As for government agencies, I think at this point in time they have mastered doing things online or in person.  Had to update some things on our drivers licence and it took less then a week for the new one to arrive.  I know it's not a passport but hey, maybe they have improved the time it takes to get one.

Just a question for those who may know more the logistic part of this question.  MSC has one of their new big ships(Seaview) that begin and end in Fort De France Marinique.  Granted, this is for 2021.  How is this possible?

6 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Did Royal ever finalize the Resort deal in Freeport?   If so, use that resort for a pre cruise quarantine for maybe one or two nights, have the ships dock in Nassau for provisions then move to Freeport to pick passengers up!

I know I am living in fantasy world, but I helps me feel better.

The real estate transaction was finalized, but that’s it. The property needs to be completely leveled and rebuilt and has been postponed indefinitely 

Happy Monday to Everyone!

Im telling yah, Royal would have a better chance of starting operations out of a foreign port first then a US one.  

I guess they don’t have to worry about money when the CDC reinstates the “No Sail Order “ until March or April. 

Will our government allow them to stock the ships with provisions?  Great way to stimulate our country, then sail to a foreign country to pick up passengers?

5 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Happy Monday to Everyone!

Im telling yah, Royal would have a better chance of starting operations out of a foreign port first then a US one.  

I guess they don’t have to worry about money when the CDC reinstates the “No Sail Order “ until March or April. 

Will our government allow them to stock the ships with provisions?  Great way to stimulate our country, then sail to a foreign country to pick up passengers?

They are starting out of a foreign port next week. Singapore.

Do you think Royal will make the announcement cruises suspended until 1/31/2021  before or after Thanksgiving?

I believe I have tried to stay positive with when cruises will resume but obviously what they are doing within the company doesn’t mean anything to the US government.  They need PLAN “B”

On 10/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, RBRSKI said:

I honestly can't remember if this topic ever came up but I am bored! 

Why couldn't Royal begin a cruise from a Caribbean port that could support the operations necessary to turn around a ship?  I understand that many things go into this process (food, fuel, embarkation and dis-embarkation), I say figure something out on a temporary basis to get these ship sailing with passengers .   It's obvious the CDC is being unreasonable.  

I anticipate cruise lines boycotting US ports because of the CDC impossible guidelines.

9 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Do you think Royal will make the announcement cruises suspended until 1/31/2021  before or after Thanksgiving?

I believe I have tried to stay positive with when cruises will resume but obviously what they are doing within the company doesn’t mean anything to the US government.  They need PLAN “B”

Watch the Press Release page because in the past when they announce extension of cruise with confidence, it almost follows with cancellation of cruises and date.