Should I hedge my bet??

Auto

So I'm booked on the June 18, 2021 Ovation to Alaska. I am optimistic about it, but have lingering doubts about everything getting back to "normal" by then. This cruise is for our 20th anniversary, and was very excited to go to Alaska, but I am beginning to wonder. Obviously, when everything restarts, it will be focused on the Caribbean, specifically CocoCay and Labadee. Does anyone think I should book a refundable placeholder out of FL, just in case? I've been putting aside the money I would be paying monthly on the AK cruise in savings, rather than paying to RC, so I will have the cash on hand to make the snap decision one way or another. Thoughts?

Unless you see something that is a really exciting alternative for you, I think I'd wait another month or so.  We had booked back up vacations for all our trips through Jan, but we're waiting a bit longer on our July trip. I think/hope/pray things will feel less murky in a couple of months and at that point we'll feel better prepared to make a decision for something that far out.

The pandemic is an evolving situation.  No one really knows what June will look like on land or on a cruise.   

If it is at all possible Royal will sail to Alaska in 2021.  Wildcards include the virus, Canada, the PVSA, the CDC and a slew of other factors.  

A refundable plan B is a solid plan not because I don't think that Alaska cruises will sail but because no one knows. 

That's a tricky spot to be in...

I would probably hold out til Final payment of the Alaskan to see if there is any other news ( if  I'm doing the math right, your final payment is in a couple of months) about not only the state of cruising but the state of the virus as well. Even now, things are changing on an almost daily basis still so by final payment you may get more clear information to help guide you.

If, by then, there is still some ambiguity, I'd say book a refundable that interests you. But make sure that it is one that still would really make you happy - don't want to spoil the fun by thinking "this is second best".

And now I read about Canada extending the port closure through February...I know there is still a lot of time (relatively speaking) between Feb and June, but still, makes me a bit more nervous. 

My wife and I have never been to the Caribbean, having done all of our cruising in Europe, so any itinerary would be new ports (even Nassau). The big thing for us is to get away for our anniversary sans kids.