CDC statement ?????

RANT ON:  This is just another example of entrenched bureaucrats that have lost touch with reality.  They know nothing beyond the little bubble they live in.  Here is another news flash for them.  Pedestrians who cross streets are more likely to be struck by cars, than pedestrians that never cross the street.  Live is a series of calculated risks, let individuals weigh the risks and let them make their own decision.

Its easy for these government employees to advocate for businesses to shut down, they still are getting paid.  RANT OFF

35 minutes ago, DandA said:

RANT ON:  This is just another example of entrenched bureaucrats that have lost touch with reality.  They know nothing beyond the little bubble they live in.  Here is another news flash for them.  Pedestrians who cross streets are more likely to be struck by cars, than pedestrians that never cross the street.  Live is a series of calculated risks, let individuals weigh the risks and let them make their own decision.

Its easy for these government employees to advocate for businesses to shut down, they still are getting paid.  RANT OFF

I think most folks agree with you. The cruise ship industry is doing an amazing job of developing operational protocols to make sailing as safe as possible for both employees and passengers. I'm definitely in the camp of "Let each one of us make our own informed decisions whether to sail or not sail" and allow all of us to get on with living our lives.

22 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Nothing new.  Posted in March and "reviewed" a few days ago.  Not sure anything has changed.

Arguably, this could be a sign that cruises are going to be allowed to proceed before too long, just against CDC advice.  

I assume you are referring to cruises embarking from non-USA ports, because they can not resume from the US against CDC “advice”. 

The CDC advice is left over from March as already noted.  It is aimed at the public but it is not law.  Before the virus was a pandemic and while the CDC was just beginning what would become a long streak of failures stating before February and March this was their attempt to dissuade U.S. citizens from getting on a cruise ship way back then. 

How this verbiage which has always been there is breaking news now in October is an oddity.  

3 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

It totally will. In canada no travel provider will cover premiums tied to a cruise so one is SOL 

Never thought of that side of things. Given no free health care in the US, insurance companies will never cover a trip to the US against COVID. Never going to get back there ? 

5 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

It totally will. In canada no travel provider will cover premiums tied to a cruise so one is SOL 

Same in the UK, if the Government says don't cruise (as they currently do for all but river cruises) or nothing but essential travel, standard travel insurance is invalid, so effectively you can't travel unless you want to take the lack of insurance risk.

11 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I assume you are referring to cruises embarking from non-USA ports, because they can not resume from the US against CDC “advice”. 

Sure they could, once the no sail order is lifted. 

Right now the CDC recommends against travel to virtually the entire world (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html) yet international flights still depart the US daily.  If the White House pressures/forces CDC to end the no sail order, cruises would be treated the same as other travel: not prohibited, but not recommended.  

1 hour ago, Mike.s said:

Same in the UK, if the Government says don't cruise (as they currently do for all but river cruises) or nothing but essential travel, standard travel insurance is invalid, so effectively you can't travel unless you want to take the lack of insurance risk.

In the US it likely depends on the insurance company.  Here is an example of a vendor that would still cover you if you caught COVID-19:

https://www.travelguard.com/o/covid19notification

On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared Coronavirus (COVID-19) a pandemic... However, this does not affect any Medical Benefits available under the insurance policy. 

4 hours ago, danv3 said:

Sure they could, once the no sail order is lifted. 

Right now the CDC recommends against travel to virtually the entire world (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html) yet international flights still depart the US daily.  If the White House pressures/forces CDC to end the no sail order, cruises would be treated the same as other travel: not prohibited, but not recommended.  

I was semi sarcastic. The intent of my statement was so long as they are advising against sailing the no sail order will stand

4 hours ago, karl_nj said:

In the US it likely depends on the insurance company.  Here is an example of a vendor that would still cover you if you caught COVID-19:

https://www.travelguard.com/o/covid19notification

On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared Coronavirus (COVID-19) a pandemic... However, this does not affect any Medical Benefits available under the insurance policy. 

If you read carefully and follow links as instructed on site it appears to me that most of what it refers to is for bookings made prior to March 2020. 

With regards to bookings made after said date it seems to imply that no payment will be made and people should contact their hotels and carriers for refunds etc 

23 minutes ago, Ray said:

If you read carefully and follow links as instructed on site it appears to me that most of what it refers to is for bookings made prior to March 2020. 

I've cut and pasted the top of the page I linked to.  Note the bit in red:

COVID-19 Notification

FOR POLICIES PURCHASED ON OR AFTER MARCH 11

23 minutes ago, Ray said:

With regards to bookings made after said date it seems to imply that no payment will be made and people should contact their hotels and carriers for refunds etc 

Travel Insurance, at least in the United States, usually covers 2 things.  Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Emergency Medical coverage (though some annual policies only cover medical.)

Trip Cancellation/Interruption almost never covers a "known event"  For example, once a storm becomes a named hurricane, it's too late to buy coverage that will cover that specific hurricane.  You can still buy travel insurance, and you would be covered for everything else that the policy covers, but you wouldn't get any coverage for losses due to the hurricane.

This travel insurance company, and many others, are saying that even though this is a "known event", your medical expenses will still be covered if you come down with COVID-19.  Not only that, but they will even cover trip cancellation/interruption if you come down with COVID-19.  Even though everyone knows that there is a worldwide COIVD-19 Pandemic going on.

So if you go on a trip and come down with COVID-19, you will still have medical coverage.  The post I was replying to said that in the UK you can't get travel medical coverage in this case.  I'm just pointing out that in the US, there are polices that would cover you.

Of course, the devil is in the details.  They don't say they will cover losses due to testing positive on a COVID-19 test.  I'm not aware of any travel insurance policy that does.  If your travel plans require a negative COVID-19 test, then you are out of luck.  Potentially this is a very large risk to be undertaking, depending on the refund policies from the travel providers.  

And that other link you mentioned also points out that they won't cover any losses due to having to be in quarantine after your trip, since the pandemic is now a known event.  So yes, I agree that buying travel insurance at this point would have less coverage for COVID-19 related losses.  But my point is that some losses would still be covered, even if you buy the policy today.

3 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I curious if RCG or any major line could restart without any US based cruises?   If Singapore goes well, could they add cruises in that region?  Or Australia etc?  Could limit clientele to those respective host nations - is it possible?  Effectively restart the industry w/o the US in the mix?

We have very low case numbers now in Australia,  I'm curious to see what happens when the ban here runs out on DEC 17th. Royal Caribbean have rescheduled the 2021-2022 season itineraries with a lot more focus on Aus Only cruises. But the remaining 2020-2021 JAN - APR are still there as they previously were, which is interesting because Celebrity and Azamara have cancelled everything.

I think there is opportunity here to remove those South Pacific and NZ itinerates for early next year and reschedule to Aus Only to test the waters. Ovation, Spectrum, Voyager and Radiance aren't too far away just sitting off the coast of Singapore.

Or.. politicians will just keep on using the Ruby Princess drama to extend it further, even though 30,000 people were allowed at a football game on the weekend. ?‍♂️