Cruise Ports as a 'Social Bubble'

As cruising is poised to resume in the US, I wonder how cruise ports will be treated. I know that, for quite a while in the beginning, passengers will only be able to take shore excursions run by the cruise company.

Thinking back on my very few cruises, I remember one very nice cruise port in Falmouth, Jamaica. The port itself is a triangular piece of property, sandwiched between two cruise ships, that contains 20-30 shops. It is very isolated from the rest of the island. It seems that it would be possible to create a ‘social bubble” in this area where everything is sanitized, social distancing is enforced, maybe not have to wear a mask, and passengers could be easily prevented from leaving the confines of the bubble.

It would be nice to have this rather large area to safely roam around in, with something to actually do. It could feel like some return to normalcy where we could safely be given a little freedom off the ship without feeling like a bunch of kindergarteners being led from class to the playground by the teacher. It would be easy to verify that you hadn’t left the bubble and therefore could be allowed back on the ship without question.

It’s just a thought. Do you think that this would be a possibility?

I tried to raise the concerns of ports related to bubble before.

Nassau can accommodate six ships.  Every line will want to have ships sailing.  

Who is working with the port itself to coordinate "bubble movements"?  

An airport has a ground controller who controls the movements of airplanes on the ground.  Who will manage each ship bubble of passengers to ensure two ship's bubbles don't encounter each other on the dock or going through port security?  Will ships would with each other to ensure only one ship's bubble of guests is walking the pier at any given moment? 

What do you do with one ship that says "We need to maintain our schedule, release our guests and screw the other ships"? 

Or is the assumption that bubbles from different ships can co-mingle since they all were tested?

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

Has this scenario played itself out in Europe yet?

I don't think the level of cruising has risen to the point that multiple ships in port has been a concern.  With so few lines sailing and with many of them staying with the country of embarkation it's a different environment.   

Early on there were two ships that "kissed the pier" then left.  They were briefly across the pier from each other but neither disembarked guests.  Different rules and many of the operating lines in Europe bear the flag of the country they sail so no cabotage type rules are in play.