Cancelling December Question

Hello. Apologies because I am sure this has been repeated, but I looked around on the blog (I am terrible with the key word searches on here) and looked on various pages online and I still have questions.   Group of us have collectively decided to cancel our 12/14 cruise and rebook on a May cruise instead to allow hopefully cruising to begin. 

I have never cancelled a cruise before. We did not use an agent. Lesson learned. 

Because December cruises have not been ‘officially’ cancelled is it that we can not request a refund and instead we will only be eligible for FCC?  If this is the case how long approx does FCC take to receive? It says 45 days, is this accurate? 

Thank you everyone:) 

I have cancelled my 4/26/20 & because I cancelled the cruise about 6 weeks before the cruise I had options of $1,000 refund (which is about Half of what that cruise cost) or receive a 100% FCC. I chose the FCC because I knew that I was gonna sail with Royal again & I have 2 more cruises on Royal for May & next December. It was somewhere between 30-45 days before I received the FCC in my email. 

If you are gonna cruise with Royal again then I would take the FCC which would either be 100% FCC or 125% FCC but if you need the money right now then please note that if you request for a refund it might be less than what you paid for the cruise or it could be the same amount that you paid for the cruise.

Since I cancelled @ the beginning of the cruising shutdown that’s why it took 30-45 days to receive the FCC in my email but since then I have booked 3 cruises & cancelled 1 of the 3 cruise and I received my money back faster than 30-45 days.

I would review the policies on Royal's Cruise with Confidence program.  You have several options, Lift and Shift at anytime, 125% FCC if Royal cancels or 100% fare refund if Royal cancels, 100% FCC if you cancel before they do or partial refund under the original terms of your booking if you cancel before they do. 

I have a Dec 2020 cruise and expect it to cancel.  This was paid for with a 125% FCC from a previous COVID canceled cruise from August.  I will take the 125% FCC when and if Royal cancels the cruise and use it in 2021.

My FCC was issued about 45 days after my August cruise was canceled.

11 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Because December cruises have not been ‘officially’ cancelled is it that we can not request a refund and instead we will only be eligible for FCC?

Correct. Until RC cancels the cruise, you cannot get a refund, just a FCC.

If RC cancels the cruise and you haven't cancelled yet on your own, a full refund is one of the compensation offers usually.

If this is the case how long approx does FCC take to receive? It says 45 days, is this accurate? 

When Royal Caribbean cancelled its November sailings on October 6, they said FCCs would be automatically be sent via email by November 4th, 2020.

Because December cruises have not been ‘officially’ cancelled is it that we can not request a refund and instead we will only be eligible for FCC?  If this is the case how long approx does FCC take to receive? It says 45 days, is this accurate? 

Yes.  If you cancel under CWC, you will not receive a refund.  The only time you get a refund is if Royal cancels on you.  You will receive FCC for your full payment and that will be good for use until 12/31/2021.  How long it takes to receive it is questionable.  They say around 45 business days, but we have received ours as fast as a few weeks later, and some as far as about 45 days.  My latest one that I cancelled for December, we booked as a group.  Several people in my cabin already received their FCCs (about two weeks after we cancelled) and some others, including myself, have not received ours yet.  And for that one, we were all booked in one cabin.  Go figure, there's no logic to it.

Anyway, you did not say if you already made final payment for this December sailing of yours?  If you already did, what is the harm in holding out and not cancelling yet to see what Royal does.  That's what I would do if I had already made final payment.  I would wait until 48 hours prior to cancel in that case.

Thanks everyone. I read all the cruise with confidence options but wanted clarity and you are all the best of the best ?   I think it may be in our best interest to wait a bit to see if we get cancelled by royal and just make that separate May booking. 

We were hesitant to do the lift and shift as it’s a few families that booked separately, with the lift and shift it appears you pick preference sailings, and I was worried we would all put the same preferences but get different sailings. Not sure if that could occur. Didn’t want to chance it. We also didn’t want to wait that long to see one another.  The May cruise is the same pricing as our original December cruise. 

Thank you for the advice. Avid lurker on the boards and always hop on those live streams on Facebook/Twitter when Matt does them.  I feel some of you all are famous! ? 

1 hour ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Thanks everyone. I read all the cruise with confidence options but wanted clarity and you are all the best of the best ?   I think it may be in our best interest to wait a bit to see if we get cancelled by royal and just make that separate May booking. 

We were hesitant to do the lift and shift as it’s a few families that booked separately, with the lift and shift it appears you pick preference sailings, and I was worried we would all put the same preferences but get different sailings. Not sure if that could occur. Didn’t want to chance it. We also didn’t want to wait that long to see one another.  The May cruise is the same pricing as our original December cruise. 

Thank you for the advice. Avid lurker on the boards and always hop on those live streams on Facebook/Twitter when Matt does them.  I feel some of you all are famous! ? 

As you mention, the group here is awesome.  There is an incredible amount of experience and knowledge that is shared freely but at the same time graciously and without benefit to the person sharing.  It is remarkable.

29 minutes ago, RCVoyager said:

As you mention, the group here is awesome.  There is an incredible amount of experience and knowledge that is shared freely but at the same time graciously and without benefit to the person sharing.  It is remarkable.

Maybe not entirely without benefit. I usually get a nice warm fuzzy feeling whenever I'm able to provide someone with a helpful answer to their question. I'd say that's a pretty decent benefit. ?

17 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Maybe not entirely without benefit. I usually get a nice warm fuzzy feeling whenever I'm able to provide someone with a helpful answer to their question. I'd say that's a pretty decent benefit. ?

I guess you're right.  Warm fuzzy feelings being the only benefit most of the time.