New quarantine pilot announced in YYC (Calgary, Canada)

Jax

9 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

Yeah - he's not messing around with Spring Break!  wow.    Oh well - if it keeps the new strains out and helps keep the numbers down while we get everyone nuked with these vaccines... short term pain.  

Apparently new strains can happen anytime and often...so based on that, we will never be able to travel again if they are waiting for everyone to be vaccinated.....its a catch -22

and here in Canada..just announced our vaccines from Modenra are being cut next mth by 25%....seeing as less than 0.033% of the population is vaccinated from Covid-19....never mind any new strains on the way....it wont be short term pain...its going to a long drawn out, never ending fight at this point based on the past year.

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Apparently new strains can happen anytime and often...so based on that, we will never be able to travel again if they are waiting for everyone to be vaccinated.....its a catch -22

and here in Canada..just announced our vaccines from Modenra are being cut next mth by 25%....seeing as less than 0.033% of the population is vaccinated from Covid-19....never mind any new strains on the way....it wont be short term pain...its going to a long drawn out, never ending fight at this point based on the past year.

Yeah - I'm Canadian too (west coast) so have a pretty clear grasp on what's happening north of 49.  And I guess short term is relative (I'm thinking short term in terms of my lifetime, not short term as in "I'm hungry" - haha)  and although reduced quantities are coming in, it looks like they're going to be close to meeting the estimated 4 million received (not just Moderna) by the end of March - and that hasn't taken into account any other vaccines being approved (AstraZeneca may just be a few days shy of approval, and J&J isn't far behind).   

We could discuss the receipt and efficacy of vaccine doses and new strains all day but it won't change the outcome - and the schedule will probably change about a million times in the short term - ha - see what I did there ?.    It sucks, no doubt - but it is what it is.  We'll get vaccinated as soon as we can.   We'll hope that my kids still have their grandparents and great-grandma by the end of it so we can all go away together.   The sadness and frustration about all of this is very real - but complaining about it doesn't put me in a better mood, so YouTube videos and old cruise reviews will have to do for now.? 

We all knew, in our heart of hearts that this pandemic would be about two years - and we're on track for that, and hopefully not longer.   

I had heard something like this may be coming but hoped the test results from the pilot would have had a greater impact on this decision. I can’t speak to the rest of Canada, but travel related cases remain a relatively small number of Alberta’s overall cases. 

Current pilot program numbers
As of January 21, 2021 - 42,344 participants 

Testing results: first test at port of entry 1.49%, Second test .76%, Total 1.15%  (it’s possible the higher positivity rate on the initial test may have influenced the 3 day hotel policy ?‍♀️, buts that pure speculation on my part)

Variant cases: 20 UK, 5 South Africa (not sure what percentages of variant cases participated in pilot) As of this week, all but one was traced back to travel.