Disappointed in Royal’s (apparent) way to reduce number of guest

So we had booked Tokyo - Seattle in May of 2021 while on Ovation in Alaska in May 2019.  Because of everything going on in 2020 we decided to lift and shift to the Sydney - Honolulu, April 11th, 2022.  Thought we were good.  

Today we got the notice that Royal was making changes to 6 ships and “cancelling” our cruise.  The actual words “our April 11, 2022 Quantum of the Seas cruise has been cancelled”.  While we were disappointed we did understand.  It was hard to take that we would have to take a refund and book something else.  No 125%, no price match, and really not many optionS since many rooms are already booked on other things that might be available.  

Then we heard this from some cruise critic people, that Radiance is being moved to our sailing.

Very disappointing to actually find out they are lying.

image.png

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Already booked it along with the Pacific Coastal from Vancouver to LA before the canal transit.  

Not sure I'll keep them so I booked refundable, but with Loyalty2x it's a gaggle of points.

Definitely something to consider if I don’t get Thanksgiving off.

So, Scott - is your cruise just changing ports of origin ?  Instead of leaving from Sydney, it is now leaving from Brisbane ?  They did not offer to let you just stay on that cruise and change your originating port ?

I have been looking at these cruises myself b/c we were thinking about staying in Honolulu for a couple of days and then catching Radiance to the west coast....but obviously, Radiance will not be making that trip.  I wonder if another ship will be, or if we are "stuck" on Ovation for the full trip to the west coast.

I can't believe they wouldn't just move you over to the Brisbane departure and then let you decide whether you wanted to do that or not.  Piss poor.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So, Scott - is your cruise just changing ports of origin ?  Instead of leaving from Sydney, it is now leaving from Brisbane ?  They did not offer to let you just stay on that cruise and change your originating port ?

I have been looking at these cruises myself b/c we were thinking about staying in Honolulu for a couple of days and then catching Radiance to the west coast....but obviously, Radiance will not be making that trip.  I wonder if another ship will be, or if we are "stuck" on Ovation for the full trip to the west coast.

I can't believe they wouldn't just move you over to the Brisbane departure and then let you decide whether you wanted to do that or not.  Piss poor.

They had adjusted embarkation from Sydney to Brisbane like a month ago.  We were fine since it was 2022 we still had not booked flights.  Today they just took them whole cruise away.  Our letter states the whole cruise is cancelled.  Radiance letter states they are now moved to our ship.  

I checked the Ovation TP this morning and suddenly there are only a few JS left in the suites category.  Yesterday there were rooms in all of the Suites category except maybe the Star Class suites.  So either they have moved a bunch of people from Quantum or people from Quantum have jumped over to our sailing.  I SURE hope that they price protected the Quantum refugees.

I just looked to try to book the Panama Canal cruise.  It has been on bucket list for many years.  I don't want to do a cruise that long in anything other than a suite, and they are all booked on the Radiance in October, and I am just not confident that the cruise in February will go.  Even if it does, the minimum suite price is $14,800 pp-much more than I am willing to pay-bucket list or no!

5 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

I just looked to try to book the Panama Canal cruise.  It has been on bucket list for many years.  I don't want to do a cruise that long in anything other than a suite, and they are all booked.  

Suites haven't been released yet.  It's not fully loaded in the system.  Even balconies are scarce with only 4B and CB available to book.  Keep checking. 

Any thoughts on when it might fully load?  I am starting to wonder if people jumped on it as soon as it was announced and grabbed most of the rooms with FCC.

The good news is that I have researched and found that while Royal does not often traverse the Panama Canal, other lines do so regularly, so I do have options.

15 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

Any thoughts on when it might fully load?  I am starting to wonder if people jumped on it as soon as it was announced and grabbed most of the rooms with FCC.

The good news is that I have researched and found that while Royal does not often traverse the Panama Canal, other lines do so regularly, so I do have options.

Not sure what's going on with it.  Regular balconies have re-appeared but C&A discounts are still not loaded in the system.  

Keep an eye on Serenade.  She is in the Atlantic right now but is supposed to do Alaska next summer.  With Australia shutdown to cruising Serenade will probably stay put until she makes her way to the Pacific.  That could possibly involve the canal as well.   

20 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

When researching options make sure you look at which locks the ship use.  The old locks still use the locomotive "mules" and men in rowboats.  The new locks use a different process.  The old locks with the ship inches off the walls of the locks being aided by the "mules" was fascinating. 

42 minutes ago, twangster said:

When researching options make sure you look at which locks the ship use.  The old locks still use the locomotive "mules" and men in rowboats.  The new locks use a different process.  The old locks with the ship inches off the walls of the locks being aided by the "mules" was fascinating. 

Note to self:  "Ask for the mule experience."

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 12:50 PM, Fairlynew said:

Suites are loaded for the Radiance Panama Canal cruise now.

Thanks for the information.   I decided to go with a 5 day mother/daughter trip in October.  We have seen very little of each other this year due to covid and she couldn’t take enough time off to due canal crossing.   I’ll save that one for another time tho I am sorry to miss the chance to be on the same ship as the mysterious Twangster

This is scary news on the Quantum on Apr11, 2022.  We are scheduled for the Ovation on Apr10, 2022 also TP.  I think someone already referenced that.  This exact cruise was canceled for us this Apr 2020 so we were happy to get it rescheduled. Now I have no confidence in its future.  WHEN will this settle.  What year will be safe? 

Tim

4 minutes ago, UkeT3 said:

WHEN will this settle.  What year will be safe? 

No one knows right now.  We can only guess.  

The Quantum change is more likely attributed to Wonder being delayed which may have them keeping Quantum on the other side of the Pacific in 2022 to maintain capacity in that region.