Drink package

I'm in a suite for my sailing and I saw that we get unlimited drinks from the suite lounge. My family were thinking of not buying any of us a drink package to save us some money since we get free drinks. Should we still get a drinks package or not. This is our first time sailing in a suite.

I presume you are on an Oasis class ship in a suite with Sky Class benefits.  

The suite lounge on deck 17 has complimentary beer and wine 11am to 11pm.  Each evening there are cocktail hours typically something like 5pm to 8pm but this can vary slightly by ship.  During the cocktail hours there are well drinks available for basic cocktails such as vodka and soda, rum and coke or gin and tonic plus many variations of basic drinks with cranberry, orange juice and other basic mixers.  

The included choices are from a preset basic menu.  If you prefer a craft beer or a better liquor those cost extra unless you have a drink package.  Frozen drinks are not included and during the day only the suite lounge on deck 17 offers these included drinks with a Sky class suite.

If you are at the pool or even on the suite sun deck, those bars are not included, you have to visit the suite lounge on deck 17 for the complimentary beverages.

Depending on your preferences and drinking habits that may work well for you just keep in mind that if you are at dinner in the dining room or in the theater watching a show or near the pub on the promenade you have to pay normally for beverages unless you make the trip up to deck 17.  

When I have sailed Sky class I have always purchased a beverage package because I like to be spontaneous and have a beverage when I feel like it wherever I am at that moment.  I also prefer better brands and nicer wines compared to the included well drinks on deck 17.  I also like frozen drinks by the pool and enjoying a drink at a show.  However that is me.  

What works best for you and your family is something only you will know.  There is nothing wrong with skipping a beverage package when in a Sky class suite, just remember you have to visit deck 17 for all complimentary drinks.  

I have sailed Oasis Sky class twice and have purchased the beverage both times.  I do not generally drink anything but beer and wine, and while I am not a wine snob, I find the wine available in the suite lounge to be lacking.  They have a good wine list, but the ones offered at no charge are not great.

We did not get the drink package since we were in the Concierge Lounge every afternoon and evening. Granted, this was the Radiance OS, a smaller ship on a port-intensive Alaska sailing. If you're in the Caribbean on a larger ship, I'd get the drink package so you don't have to keep walking back to the Concierge lounge every time you'd like a drink, not to mention when available.

We've had a similar situation where we, as Diamond members, have access to the complimentary drinks every evening.  As my wife is not a big drinker we've never gotten the drink package and honestly have never come close to spending ala carte what would would have spent on the package.  However, when the cost of the drink package on our recently booked Brilliance cruise next September dropped to $43 I felt it was definitely worth a go.  Between the alcohol, beer, soda and specialty coffees I think we will be able to take good advantage of it and I've been really wanting to try it out to see how we would enjoy it.

If you are staying on Deck 17 and plan on spending a lot of time in your suite, then the access to the Suites Lounge and its complementary beverages would probably serve your drink needs.  If, however, you plan on being out and about on the ship most of the time, or you are in a suite that is not located on Deck 17, you may find visiting the SL to grab a coke or a bottle of water or even a beer or glass of wine, to be inconvenient.

As @twangstermentioned, it's difficult to be spontaneous and get a drink when and where you want it if you have to stop what you're doing and run to the lounge every time you want a drink.

I am not a big drinker....but I do like a canned coke (hate fountain cokes) and bottled water.  I always purchase a DBP and even though I'm sure I pay more that way, I am able to get whatever I want to drink whenever I want it.  I find that to be worth whatever financial penalty I might pay. Neither of us drink wine (much) and Dan will get the occasional beer, but sticks primarily to high end single malt scotch which is rarely rarely rarely available in the SL.  Even during the SL "Happy Hour" most, if not all, of the lounges do not have a blender, so a blended cocktail isn't normally available in the SL.  With the DBP, however, if I feel like having a mud slide or a pina colada with Amaretto (yum) then it's included.  You'll never get either one of those in the SL at ANY time.

We usually always get the drink package when sailing Sky Class.  Even when we stay on Deck 17.  It is for the reasons that @twangster already stated.  Purely convenience.  Because a lot of times, you won't want to go all the way back to Deck 17 to get a drink, or the suite lounge may not have the beverages that you want, when you want.  Especially if you are someone who prefers mixed cocktails over beer/wine.

Quick drink package question for those with experience and deep knowledge!  We are sailing Star Class in June (fingers and toes crossed!) and have a question about Starbucks.  I understand that Starbucks is not covered under the drink package but I have heard others indicate that Star passengers can get any drink, just not pastries from Starbucks.  Was there a change in availability or am I understanding things correctly??  

Any clarification is appreciated.  

50 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

Quick drink package question for those with experience and deep knowledge!  We are sailing Star Class in June (fingers and toes crossed!) and have a question about Starbucks.  I understand that Starbucks is not covered under the drink package but I have heard others indicate that Star passengers can get any drink, just not pastries from Starbucks.  Was there a change in availability or am I understanding things correctly??  

Any clarification is appreciated.  

Yes, with Star Class any drink from Starbucks is included.  Just not the pastries and food there.