Who would ever let go of your child, even if there was no glass there?

Very sad.

Just an example of how short life is and how it can all change in a second.

We should all stop for a minute and think about how lucky we all are to have what we have and truly appreciate it all.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family today and into the future. They will be changed forever.

Sadly this is very true one of the Childs Grandparents was holding the toddler out of an open window on the 11 deck the toddler fell to the ground where they were docked and the toddler lost their life in the fall none of the Ship's Crew can be held responsible for this this is the responsibility of the Child's Grandparents who hung the Child out of the Window on the 11 deck as we are given to understand? We have Sailed With The Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships From Southampton Twice last year and will be Sailing with them again in the not to different future!! Unsure if drink or anything was involved or just A Tragic Accident? The Toddler's Mum was heard Screaming And Crying After The Fall? Unsure if the Child's Mum Witnessed What Had Happened?

My prayers go out to the family and also to anyone who had the misfortune to witness the tragedy.

As the grandfather of a 20 month old, I know how wiggly and squirmy they can be. I can't imagine how hard this will hit the whole family, let alone the grandfather who was holding her up (probably so she could see the view better).

On our recent Freedom cruise our son and daughter-in-law mandated "no kids on the balcony, even with adults." This situation is a reminder that they weren't being over-the-top in their caution - they were looking out for the best interest of their kids.

3 hours ago, Ann Worth said:

Could we be kept updated about this Tragedy Please? 

It looks like the father of the toddler is a police officer (South Bend, Indiana police department). The immediate family, including siblings, and both sets of grandparents were on the trip together.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne-toddler-falls-11-floors-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-20190708-f72uu7jvofcyxp4dnjenjliwta-story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/us/toddler-falls-cruise-ship-trnd/index.html

When I was praying about this last night, I couldn't help but think about how the grandfather will eventually react to this, and I'm 

saddened that it could be very well just as tragic.  Now knowing that he is in Law Enforcement and has daily access to firearms, 

I pray that he doesn't try to relieve his guilt (which must be so enormous we can't even fathom it) the "easy" way.

God please grant strength to every member of this family, along with those who may have witnessed it.

After reading the story my heart goes out to the family, and as unpopular as it is, I also really feel for the grandfather and his daughter.  We all know that there is a serious strain on that relationship.  Not to mention that he has to feel absolutely HORRIBLE, they all are definitely in my prayers!  Such an absolutely sad situation for all of them! ?

4 hours ago, 12thman said:

Anyone know what will happen to the grandfather if anything? That's a very careless act. 

Hi I don't have any idea what will happen to the Grandfather I think it would depend on the outcome of the Police Investigations? This Devastating Tragedy Should Never Have Happened? Let Alone in the hands of the toddler's Grandfather and from the 11 Deck of A Big Ship!! This Devastating Tragedy Could Have Been Easily Avoided Had The Grandfather Not Held The Toddler Out Of An Open Window On The 11 Deck? ((R I P)) (AMEN) Little One Having Died So Very Young You Hadn't Seen Any Life As Yet? This Does Really Make You Wonder If This Was A Tragic Accident Or Something Else? Especially In The Hands Of An Adult And Also The Toddler's Grandfather At That? Wish I Knew More But Just Have To Wait And See The Outcome Of The Police Investigations?

43 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

After reading the story my heart goes out to the family, and as unpopular as it is, I also really feel for the grandfather and his daughter.  We all know that there is a serious strain on that relationship.  Not to mention that he has to feel absolutely HORRIBLE, they all are definitely in my prayers!  Such an absolutely sad situation for all of them! ?

This Tragedy could well have been avoided if the Grandfather hadn't have hung his Grandchild out of an open window on the 11 Deck? Don't know what he was thinking or anything like this? Don't Forget A Toddler Has Lost Their Life In This Very Very Tragic Accident That Could Have Been Avoided? ((R I P)) (AMEN) Night Night Little Star Sleep Tight.

47 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

8 hours ago, Ann Worth said:

This Tragedy could well have been avoided if the Grandfather hadn't have hung his Grandchild out of an open window on the 11 Deck? Don't know what he was thinking or anything like this? Don't Forget A Toddler Has Lost Their Life In This Very Very Tragic Accident That Could Have Been Avoided? ((R I P)) (AMEN) Night Night Little Star Sleep Tight.

I am not forgetting that a toddler has lost her life, and it is EXTREMELY tragic and is something that could have ABSOLUTELY been avoided if the grandfather would have exercised a little bit of God given common sense.  I work as a Paramedic/Firefighter as well as in the ER of  a local Level 2 trauma center, so I see people that make life altering bad decisions just about every day that I go to work.  The mother that had no idea about her son being in a gang and his life is ended at 16, the 86 year old woman that smokes while wearing oxygen and has a burn area above 30%, all from her chest up and has soot in her airway.  The mother that was speeding and drinking and ran off the road and hit a tree at highway speeds with her 4 year old that was unrestrained in the back seat.  I see not only  physical trauma but emotional trauma on a regular basis.  And seeing it so closely and so regularly I also am able to see it from the other side, and have some sympathy for the family, as well as the grandfather.  I am not saying that what grandpa did was right, what I am saying is that life as they know it has changed forever for every last single person in that family, and my heart goes out to every last single person in that family. 

42 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

I work as a Paramedic/Firefighter as well as in the ER of  a local Level 2 trauma center, so I see people that make life altering bad decisions just about every day that I go to work

Well said (the entire post) and thank you for all you do!

5 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

What? Why?...I don't even like to reach out to take a picture with my phone from those windows...why would you dangle a human?....:46_confounded:

I agree, I hate even holding my phone over the rail, I can see a breeze coming along or the ship rolling unexpectedly and my phone flying into the deep.  Couldn't imagine the poor horror of the child! 

It pisses me off that the family and their lawyer are trying to blame Royal and save some face for the inept grandfather and his actions.  Let's face it.  Grandpop messed up and it cost him his granddaughters life.  He is not the victim.  It's that simple. I don't care that the child used to pound on hockey glass or whatever.  This is a 150 foot high cruise ship and not a hockey rink. Even if it was solid glass it is negligent to allow a child to pound on glass, especially exterior glass. I can see RCCL placing fixed glass in those spots to settle this case along with shelling out some $$$$$$$.

46 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I heard on the news today that the family is blaming RCCL due to having open windows that are hard to see next to the fixed glass ones. 

Michael Winkleman, a Miami-based attorney hired by Chloe’s family, said her grandfather put the girl on a ledge near a window in a children’s area, but was unaware that the window was open. "Essentially her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where he thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there," he said. "She goes to bang on the glass like she would have at one of those hockey rinks, and the next thing you know, she's gone."

I just read this a few minutes ago and I don't buy it. The windows on the pool deck all have a blue tint to them and every one of the open windows has a noticeable breeze and ambient sounds coming through (even in port). Not to mention that even freshly cleaned windows are not perfectly clear. Also, putting a child that young on a railing is risking injury even if there were glass there.

I'm heartbroken for the family and I can't even imagine the grandfather's feelings of guilt, but, I don't think this is Royal Caribbean's fault.

Amazing how the story keeps changing... and now I’m sure this is the one the family will stick with in order to save face and put the blame on the corporation with the deep pockets. 

The incident is truly heartbreaking and, as a mother, I truly feel for the family. But placing the blame where it doesn’t belong isn’t going to bring that baby girl back. 

22 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Amazing how the story keeps changing... and now I’m sure this is the one the family will stick with in order to save face and put the blame on the corporation with the deep pockets. 

The incident is truly heartbreaking and, as a mother, I truly feel for the family. But placing the blame where it doesn’t belong isn’t going to bring that baby girl back. 

You are so right. And when it comes to writing fairy tales the Brothers Grimm are amateurs when it comes to what lawyers can come up with.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

It gives the family a way to not blame the grandfather.  In their minds it's not his fault if they can all agree to blame the corporation.  

Hate to say, but the poor grandfather isn't going to care one way or the other if other people don't blame him. Having had to take my youngest to the ER as a newborn after stubbornly refusing to think she had anything more than a cold, and feeling guilt to this day over that no matter how many times family members told me it wasn't my fault and I couldn't have known, I'm reasonably certain the grandfather will never stop blaming himself even if the family reaches a settlement with Royal. ?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It gives the family a way to not blame the grandfather.  In their minds it's not his fault if they can all agree to blame the corporation.  

As a parent, I’m not sure I could ever take that blame away in my mind. But, I’ve never been in that dark of a place so I can’t say for certain. 

Court of public opinion isn’t going to change, though. Literally millions have sailed on RCCL ships with slide open windows and this is the first incident (to my knowledge) of this type. 

Horrible situation all around, however IMO I think it's wrong to blame RC based on what has been reported so far.  Hopefully there is some kind of surveillance video, not that I would want to watch it but for the investigators to see what actually happened in those terrifying moments.  God bless that poor little girl.  

47 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

As a parent, I’m not sure I could ever take that blame away in my mind. But, I’ve never been in that dark of a place so I can’t say for certain. 

Court of public opinion isn’t going to change, though. Literally millions have sailed on RCCL ships with slide open windows and this is the first incident (to my knowledge) of this type. 

Saw report said from all causes at least 240 passengers and crew have fallen or jumped off Cruise ships in last 10yrs. Only about 20% lived... Resently there was kid fell couple decks, might been on Carnival...  Agree about the Blame, as parent or Grand parent. Loss of a child, cant comprehend. Know several couple my Grand parents included, marriage didnt survive loss of a child