Cruise Planner Discounts

CJS2766

Hello all! Well, after my November cruise just got cancelled, looks like I have to wait 365 days from tomorrow to cruise again. Ugh!! Such a long wait!!! Anyway......I was looking at the cruise planner just out of curiosity to see what is offered on the Symphony of the Seas vs the Oasis (That was my cruise that was just cancelled) and wanted to see prices.

Since I have a year, I will do my best to monitor prices. My question to you veteran cruisers is? What is the most you all have sen discounts for cruise planner purchases? I know they vary for beverage vs food, etc... I think this past year, I saw 40% off when I was planning my now cancelled Nov cruise. Do they ever go more than that?? Is there such a thing as a Black Friday Cruise Planner deal? Any other times that I should check the site vs me waiting on a email from Royal? I documented the prices today 1 year from sailing to at least give me a starting point. I think this will help. I'm just wondering when the best time to pull the trigger is? I know I can always cancel and re-purchase at lower rates, but I hate doing that.

Just interested in what you all think and how you go about your cruise planner purchases.

Thanks!

Carlos

Black Friday generally nets the best deal.  However, my advice is book it as soon as you are comfortable doing so.  Then monitor prices and get price adjustments as the price changes.  You will always get the "best deal" that way.  There is no guarantee that Black Friday will always be the best, and there is not guarantee that the price won't increase once sailings resume.  Best way is to lock it down.

It has been my experience that the cruise planner "sales" don't really start until a little closer in than a year.  The prices on my cruise planner items for 1+ year out cruises (beverage package and dining packages) are still relatively high....but those for October 2021 and sooner are going up and down.  The notable exception to this "rule" was the Coco Beach Floating cabana "deal" for $1049 for a Jan 2022 Oasis sailing (I know...not much of a deal, really).

...and when they do start reducing the CP prices, I suggest that you completely ignore any % off advertising.  The percentages mean nothing.  Just look at the bottom line - the actual price that they are charging and go by that.

It is my guess that as soon as they announce a restart-sailing date, CP prices are going to jump up and stay high.  It's just a guess.  I have no inside information.  I would suggest that, if it is financially possible, that anyone who is seriously considering CP purchases, to purchase now and watch for price drops. I know it's a long time for Royal to be holding your money...but I think it's a good investment.  Of course, I could be completely wrong...I usually am.  ...in which case, you can always cancel and re-buy if the prices go down.  Last year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales were a disappointment.  Maybe they will be better this year.

If I do make a purchase today and the price drops tomorrow when I call them to get the better price do they have to refund the old one then recharge for the new one, tying up the money twice?   Has anyone just got them to do an adjustment.  I know for the cruise itself they have done 2 adjustments for me.

As always
Thanks

Paul

12 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

If I do make a purchase today and the price drops tomorrow when I call them to get the better price do they have to refund the old one then recharge for the new one, tying up the money twice?   Has anyone just got them to do an adjustment.  I know for the cruise itself they have done 2 adjustments for me.

As always
Thanks

Paul

Unfortunately, they will always make you cancel the original purchase and you have to re-buy, which, essentially, ties your money up, twice.  That's the way it works 100% of the time.  At least the refunds aren't taking quite as long as the first did.  It's definitely not fast though.

On 10/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

and when they do start reducing the CP prices, I suggest that you completely ignore any % off advertising.  The percentages mean nothing.  Just look at the bottom line - the actual price that they are charging and go by that.

This this this.  Ignore the percentage off teaser and look at the price.  Just keep track of items that you are interested in and monitoring the pricing on them.  You can come to the boards and bounce ideas off of us here and folks who have the same ship/ports booked can all check their CP and give you an idea of what pricing looks like and how far away their cruise is.  The good thing with CP purchases is that it's pretty simple to cancel and repurchase when the price is lower, especially if you are using a credit card and not a debit card (for not tying up money issues).

Anyone else notice that once you've purchased an item on the Cruise Planner it now say's "You've already purchased this" and no-longer seems to show current pricing?   Seems this would make it difficult to cancel and rebuy if the item goes on sale... Am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Anyone else notice that once you've purchased an item on the Cruise Planner it now say's "You've already purchased this" and no-longer seems to show current pricing?   Seems this would make it difficult to cancel and rebuy if the item goes on sale... Am I missing something?

I've noticed that for the drink package.  An excursion still shows the price.  Not sure why they behave differently.

If you click on the drink package itself, then you can see the going rate.  You can also view the current price by going to order history and then select the item.

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

Noted this for well over a year now.  Posted about back when I saw it starting to happen on select cruises in 2019.  

Go to your calendar.  You should see excursions purchased.  Click on it through your calendar, you should see current pricing.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, janetjones said:

When can I expect to see sales for my Jan 2022 sailing? 

They just recently opened up cruise planner sales for November, 2021. Nothing great right now, the prices should be better for my cruise in a few months, but I'll keep checking. As for January, 2022, you "should" start seeing sales in January, 2021, but keep checking for you never know. When Matt posts the sales in the blog he lists the sailing dates that are included in the current sale.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/11/11/save-45-pre-cruise-add-ons-royal-caribbeans-new-sale