RCG public offering of $500 million worth of common stock

Like all the other cruise lines, RCL is raising cash via both the equity and debt markets to weather the COVID storm. For existing shareholders, it creates a dilutive effect which explains the pullback in the stock price today. I also noted the news that RCL is issuing $500 million in a private convertible debt offering.

Yeah and what really sucks as that Royal (like most other cruise lines) probably can’t sell older ships like the Empress or the Majesty because most lines aren’t in a position to buy either. I know Carnival was successful is selling two Holland America ships but that was the exception and not the norm. 

Some of those older ships might be collateral for some of the debt they've acquired.  Once Odyssey is on the books they can shift some of that debt and use Odyssey as collateral.  Using Odyssey to secure debt is something they said they plan to do once she is acquired but they never linked that to the older ships so we'll see what they do if these ships still aren't sailing in 6 months.  

8 hours ago, Oliver said:

Yeah and what really sucks as that Royal (like most other cruise lines) probably can’t sell older ships like the Empress or the Majesty because most lines aren’t in a position to buy either. I know Carnival was successful is selling two Holland America ships but that was the exception and not the norm. 

Carnival Corp was also successful is selling some old P&O and Princess vessels.

I think Royal would rather keep their assets close at hand, as they're all paid off by now. They just have to keep costs down as much as possible on Majesty and Empress, which is why they're warm laid-up in Greece. So long as daily running costs are down, it's really no trouble for them to keep them. 

NCL is sorta doing the same thing.