3 NIGHT DINING PACKAGE

PaulRC

Hope I am not being a pain with all my questions but here is another one..  lol

What are your thoughts on the "3 NIGHT DINING PACKAGE" at $99?  I know if I only do chops at $49 it is almost a 33% savings but not sure.  What are some of the prices you guys have seen it at?  Does it get cheaper?   The "Unlimited Dining Package" is on sale for $179 but I do not think I would use it to it's limit to much other place to eat at and it seems to be a lot of food.

Anyway thanks again
Paul

***  Sorry this should have gone in the Royal Caribbean Dining I do not see a way to move or delete it  ***

Edited by PaulRC
Posted in the wrong forum

A lot has to do with which ship you will be on.  If it is one of the O or Q class ships, yes, I think the 3 night package is a good deal at $99.

...but remember that the UDP offers a LOT more than just dinners.  It also includes lunches any time that the restaurant is open and can accommodate you (this usually means sea days, but not always).  Also, with the UDP, you can eat as many times in as many different venues as you want - even on the same day/night.  We sometimes go to Chops for dinner and then wander over to Wonderland for dessert.  Many people enjoy having wings and other snacks at Playmakers in the afternoon and then having a regular full service meal somewhere later in the evening.  You can enjoy a sushi snack at Izumi and then go to another restaurant later.

So, if you are a "wandering" eater and think you would enjoy eating at more than 1 venue per day, the UDP is a much better deal, IMO.  If, however, you are just looking to sample a few of the specialty restaurants and don't envision yourself eating multiple times per day, then the 3 night package would probably make more sense.

I'd like to piggy back on this.  I will be with a group of friends on Serenade in late August (at least I hope so).  There are 3 specialty restaurants.  The three night package is $79 and unlimited is $154.  For several reasons, we decided that the Key is a good fit for our group ( I know this is controversial, but it works for us).  We do have several non-port days, and we are not thrilled with buffets, even more so now, so we will probably do lunch when possible.  Having said all that, with only three restaurants, does the unlimited plan make sense?

Thanks!

In addition to the serenity mentioned above and the elevated (usually) service provided, maybe consider the sample menus of the restaurants.  I am typically torn between two and three items in a specialty restaurant.  Even with a small number of restaurants to rotate through across 6 to 8 nights, the UDP would provide me the chance to try them all on return visits.  I have also been able to talk to the Chef's Table representative and get a "credit" towards a night there via the UDP - you still pay more, but not the full cost.

8 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

What is the best price anyone has seen for the 3 night dining package?  It is currently and has been for a whle now $99  I have not seen it go up or down.

Thanks
Paul

It depends on the ship and the length of the cruise.  $99 for an Oasis or Quantum class ship is about as good as it's likely to get.  I paid $99 for all of my Oasis class 7 night sailings.  I paid $79 for my Liberty 7 night sailing and all of the prices for December 2021 and beyond are still full price so I have not purchased any of those yet. I'm hoping that the prices will go down once they get a little closer but who knows what the CP prices are going to do once sailings restart.

I usually find the 3NDP at $99 on the ships we sail.  I consider that price a good deal for us, but of course if you see a better price - then cancel and re-book.  Remember that Black Friday is coming soon, and often you will find some great deals then.  Also, if you have never tried the UDP, it is worth a try.  We had it on our last Anthem sailing at @WAAAYTOOO's nudging.  It was sort of sad because it was the last Anthem cruise before the shutdown.  It really worked out great for us though.  We got great lunches in almost empty spaces which was very comforting at that time.  Also, we couldn't resist trying a Raye Special - dinner at Chops and dessert at Wonderland on the same night!  We really fattened up perfectly before our mandatory quarantine! 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

The 3 night package on my Harmony cruise for next September is just shy of $125 and has not budged at all since I began checking back in May. The UDP has been oscillating between $194 and $216. I definitely won't be buying either at those prices.

Yikes !  That IS high.  I don’t blame you

Interesting how we've accepted and adapted to specialty dining business model.  When it was introduced, there was some resistance to the premium cost and diluting of the "all inclusive" cruise package  - now its normalized and I see far less aversion in cruising blogs.  It's a matter of preference, but travelers seem to adapt .   

On 10/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

A lot has to do with which ship you will be on.  If it is one of the O or Q class ships, yes, I think the 3 night package is a good deal at $99.

...but remember that the UDP offers a LOT more than just dinners.  It also includes lunches any time that the restaurant is open and can accommodate you (this usually means sea days, but not always).  Also, with the UDP, you can eat as many times in as many different venues as you want - even on the same day/night.  We sometimes go to Chops for dinner and then wander over to Wonderland for dessert.  Many people enjoy having wings and other snacks at Playmakers in the afternoon and then having a regular full service meal somewhere later in the evening.  You can enjoy a sushi snack at Izumi and then go to another restaurant later.

So, if you are a "wandering" eater and think you would enjoy eating at more than 1 venue per day, the UDP is a much better deal, IMO.  If, however, you are just looking to sample a few of the specialty restaurants and don't envision yourself eating multiple times per day, then the 3 night package would probably make more sense.

Thank you for the wonderful pointers. I would also add that the UDP (we did the 3-night package last year) offers a great side deal for folks like the missus and me who do their primary drinking at dinner. While we're not day drinkers (the DBP isn't a deal for us), we do enjoy our wine with dinner and the 40% discount off bottled wines is perfect for us.