The Royal Promise

Taken from the Royal promise "All guests and crew will be required to wear a mask onboard. Specifically, guests should wear face masks in nearly all public settings regardless of physical distancing measures" So you need to wear them when on deck or round the pool, not sure I'm keen on that.

5 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

Taken from the Royal promise "All guests and crew will be required to wear a mask onboard. Specifically, guests should wear face masks in nearly all public settings regardless of physical distancing measures" So you need to wear them when on deck or round the pool, not sure I'm keen on that.

This is why i don't think there will be any issues reducing capacity.  Many guests will choose not to sail, they won't need to cancel select guests to achieve 50% capacity.

5 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

There's gonna be so much tension on the first sailings, I can't even imagine it'll be enjoyable. If they strictly enforce it, some people will be pissed, if they don't, other people will be mad.

35 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

I'm delighted to see the term "physical distancing measures." There is nothing social about physically distancing oneself from others as implied by the misnomer "social distancing."

Disappointed that masks are required on the pool deck. Hopefully that’ll change for US cruises to the Caribbean. I don’t mind wearing one walking around, elevators etc. but sitting in the sun on the pool deck is pretty much a deal breaker. 

Face Masks
Face masks are required in all areas of the pool deck unless you’re in the water, where you should continue to observe physical distancing

My question concerns the timing of the covid test.  Given the uncertainty of exactly when your results will be available,  how do I ensure my test is taken within the 72 hr window but that there is time to get the results prior to boarding?  What if I don’t get my results in time???  If I have to be tested at the terminal, will they bill my insurance for it?

6 minutes ago, Jill said:

Disappointed that masks are required on the pool deck. Hopefully that’ll change for US cruises to the Caribbean. I don’t mind wearing one walking around, elevators etc. but sitting in the sun on the pool deck is pretty much a deal breaker. 

Face Masks
Face masks are required in all areas of the pool deck unless you’re in the water, where you should continue to observe physical distancing

Why would that change for cruises from the US? That's literally where they are needed the most 

3 minutes ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Why would that change for cruises from the US? That's literally where they are needed the most 

I just can’t see being in the hot Caribbean wearing a mask in the sun. If the chairs are spaced it’s no different than sitting in the dining room or a bar. Especially on sea days when it’s quite windy. Just seems excessive. 

3 minutes ago, Jill said:

I just can’t see being in the hot Caribbean wearing a mask in the sun. If the chairs are spaced it’s no different than sitting in the dining room or a bar. Especially on sea days when it’s quite windy. Just seems excessive. 

Not just the pool deck.  Outside watching the ship sail away from a port a mask is required.  Sitting on the promenade deck outside reading a book - wear a mask.   Visiting the helipad - wear a mask.  Unless you are in a pool or in your cabin, wear a mask.  They can't afford to have an outbreak or they'll be shutdown.  They are going to be excessively over cautious.  

20 minutes ago, Jill said:

Face Masks

I'm just imagining the suntan lines. ?

C-19-Suntan.jpg

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not just the pool deck.  Outside watching the ship sail away from a port a mask is required.  Sitting on the promenade deck outside reading a book - wear a mask.   Visiting the helipad - wear a mask.  Unless you are in a pool or in your cabin, wear a mask.  They can't afford to have an outbreak or they'll be shutdown.  They are going to be excessively over cautious.  

I pray by May things will be different. 

This is not what was in the Healthy Sail document. It said masks were not necessary outdoors unless distancing was not possible. And to be clear, you don’t need a mask outside pretty much anywhere in the US.

From pages 25-26:

Recommendation 16: To prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise operators should require guests

Specifically, guests should wear face coverings in any indoor, congregate setting regardless of physical distancing measures, but should not be required to wear face coverings in their own cabins. A notable exception is indoor dining. Seating in restaurants and bars/lounges should allow for physical distancing, so guests can eat and drink without needing face coverings while seated.

Face coverings are not required in outdoor settings as long as physical distancing is feasible. However, if physical distancing is not feasible in certain outdoor settings, masks/face coverings among guests should be required in those locations.

For crew members, masks should be worn any time they are engaging with other crew members or guests (i.e., in all public settings, both indoors and outdoors).

40 minutes ago, DunwoodyDad said:

This is not what was in the Healthy Sail document. It said masks were not necessary outdoors unless distancing was not possible. And to be clear, you don’t need a mask outside pretty much anywhere in the US.

From pages 25-26:

Recommendation 16: To prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise operators should require guests

Specifically, guests should wear face coverings in any indoor, congregate setting regardless of physical distancing measures, but should not be required to wear face coverings in their own cabins. A notable exception is indoor dining. Seating in restaurants and bars/lounges should allow for physical distancing, so guests can eat and drink without needing face coverings while seated.

Face coverings are not required in outdoor settings as long as physical distancing is feasible. However, if physical distancing is not feasible in certain outdoor settings, masks/face coverings among guests should be required in those locations.

For crew members, masks should be worn any time they are engaging with other crew members or guests (i.e., in all public settings, both indoors and outdoors).

Seems like that was an outline, and this is the hard stance.

I have been afraid to bring this up ... scared of the answer I might get.  Looking for information from those who may have knowledge what the early sailings are doing:

I will wear a mask ... I will stay 2m away from everyone (except my soulmate) ... I will board late and at the exact time I am told to (never happened to date) ... I will walk up every stair everyday ... I will take multiple virus tests and subject myself to multiple health screenings (regardless how much a pain they are) ... I will not set foot in the Diamond Lounge on night one (the closest thing to a "zoo" at sea), BUT:

If we can not dance ... looks like we will be waiting for wide distribution of a vaccine.

?

Curt from Canada

Question: Is there a difference between the "Pool Deck" and the "Sun Deck?" On Symphony the "Pool Deck" is on deck 15 and does have the glass windows around the outside. The "Sun Deck" is deck 16 and is wide open. Maybe no masks on the Sun Deck! That's where we are anyways. I hope so. I don't want to cancel a cruise that's already been cancelled on me twice. I'm hoping this is just a Singapore thing. Quantum is more enclosed and it'll be freakin winter.  

"Water activities do not require face masks while riding, but need to be worn while waiting in line." 

As a staunch mask advocate and a water slide lover, WHERE am I going to put it once I get up there? Adding ziplocs to my packing list now so I can stuff it in one for the ride down I guess. haha 

2 hours ago, DDaley said:

"Water activities do not require face masks while riding, but need to be worn while waiting in line." 

As a staunch mask advocate and a water slide lover, WHERE am I going to put it once I get up there? Adding ziplocs to my packing list now so I can stuff it in one for the ride down I guess. haha 

I like the idea of a small ziplock baggie, it totally makes sense. 

7 hours ago, Jill said:

Face Masks

Just imagine what those mask will smell like later in the day after you’ve sat in it in the Caribbean sun. 

15 hours ago, twangster said:

This is why i don't think there will be any issues reducing capacity.  Many guests will choose not to sail, they won't need to cancel select guests to achieve 50% capacity.

Will be years before ships are full again.

15 hours ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

But why would their stance lighten in the area with substantially more covid cases?

Well, because it doesn’t make sense. I can be outside at the port next to the ship and not need a mask, but if I’m outside on the ship, I do?  And on top of that, I just had 2 negative tests plus a health screen to get on it. 

I just went to Disney World a week ago. We went there knowing the rules and were happy to follow them.  I think the same thing will happen with cruising. If you really want to go back to sea you'll know in advance what is expected and will be happy to comply. If you don't want to wear the mask then just wait a bit.  Everyone travels differently and for some, that experience that they expect may mean waiting a little bit longer.  It will all work out.  We'll get out there eventually.  And I am HAPPY to be one of the first to sail to pave the way and "test the waters" for those that want to wait. ?  

4 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

Well, because it doesn’t make sense. I can be outside at the port next to the ship and not need a mask, but if I’m outside on the ship, I do?  And on top of that, I just had 2 negative tests plus a health screen to get on it. 

After all the passengers had long departed and the crew members were the only ones left on the ships for months, they still made all the crew members wear masks outside of their cabins.  This is as close to a bubble as you could imagine as they would be at sea for weeks.  The only interaction with anyone out of the bubble would have been during provisioning.  Doesn't make sense that is no one new was being introduced to a bubble that they would still need masks after the quarantine/incubation period, but they still required them.

To be super clear here, I am fine wearing a mask in general. I also think it totally makes sense to wear them indoors except in staterooms. All I am questioning is wearing them while outside especially when this is in line with CDC guidance (distanced) and is in line with almost all state and local guidance as well. 

41 minutes ago, DunwoodyDad said:

All I am questioning is wearing them while outside especially when this is in line with CDC guidance (distanced) and is in line with almost all state and local guidance as well. 

I generally agree. My hope is this rule will be tweaked.  

I fully expect many rules to change in next 90+ days. They are going to be learning on the fly and I don't think the rules we see today are exactly what will happen as cruises begin.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I generally agree. My hope is this rule will be tweaked.  

I fully expect many rules to change in next 90+ days. They are going to be learning on the fly and I don't think the rules we see today are exactly what will happen as cruises begin.

I'm also hoping that it changes. The regulations now really only apply to Singapore cruises, since they're all that is approved so far (fingers crossed for others). I know mask wearing is more normal (before 2020) in most Asian areas than it is in the US. Thinking that may have something to do with the sweeping mask mandates.

11 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

Like many countries it's compulsory to wear a mask outside your house in Singapore, so it is just an extension of that rule I am assuming. May be different in other countries.

13 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Like many countries it's compulsory to wear a mask outside your house in Singapore, so it is just an extension of the that rule I am assuming. May be different in other countries.

Yeah something tells me the discussion around the typical Singapore dinner table isn't "You mean we have to wear a mask on the cruise?".