Cancelled through November 30.

Jill

2 minutes ago, Jill said:

Just saw the news. ? I’m not sailing until May but I feel for all of you with Holiday cruises. 

Personally I believe November sailings were a “no go” in September based on logistics alone. 2020 goes up in smoke. Hopefully by Summer 2021 we will be sailing again. 

Hello Folks,

I have not been very active due to many crazy things going on in my life (all good stuff) and our country (not so much).  I really had some slight hope that our cruises that were to start on 11/19 were gonna happen.  This will be our 1st year not on a RCCL ship for thanksgiving in Seven years!!!  ?I

Now it's onto December!   I hope that our B2B on Oasis that leaves 12/20 happens.  

I don't know how these cruise companies are gonna survive!!

54 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Just as most of the country has traditions staying home, we have some special things as a family we have done on the ships over the last seven years.  ?

Same here except we have been doing Thanksgiving since 2008 on a ship. It’s going to be very weird celebrating the holiday at home & not on a ship. 

15 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Personally I believe November sailings were a “no go” in September based on logistics alone. 2020 goes up in smoke. Hopefully by Summer 2021 we will be sailing again. 

Actually you raise a really really interesting question.

Let's say the 'ok to sail' order is given today. How long would a cruise line need to set sail? 

Tasks you'd need to find solutions for:

• recruit/rehire staff from around world
  • get staff to the ship (no small task with airlines  not flying, visa restrictions etc etc
  • train/retrain staff (Probably some mandatory safety training at the vary least and refamiliarization)
  • gain port access both in the ships 'home port' and any ports they want to visit (and again have all the approvals and process in place etc)
  • logistics on food and supplies (Probably rather easy to spin up but would need some planning)
  • make any ship alterations that are needed for virus protection (Probably doing now)
  • you'd probably want to quarantine any staff on land for 14 days before you allow them to board (Organize hotels, you can book out, medical staff etc etc)
  • and the million and one tasks I can't think of that i am sure is keeping someone awake at night.

Staffing is going to be a nightmare. Normally only a few new staff are ever boarding a ship at a time (or coming from other ships in the fleet for new ships). The logistics of recruiting the staff, getting back staff you've let go (Many who may have found other jobs, etc etc) and then trying to negotiate with all the governments around the world to get them to the ships (transit issues, travel restrictions, visas, flight issues (though you'd probably hire planes) etc etc.

I imagine you'd look at getting enough staff/resources together for a ship or 2 at a time and ramp up over a period of time (Which could be months). 

There would easily be a months work there I would say if not 2. So many things have to go right and so many things that you have little control over. 

I imagine there are a lot of people who's sole job at the moment is to plan for this eventuality. I certainly don't envy them their task. It would certainly make an amazing documentary/case study in the future.

16 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I've pretty much given up on my March cruise.  If things aren't good by our final payment (Dec), we will most likely just cancel it.  But I am hopeful for our summer 2021 cruise. 

Then again, I was hopeful for Dec 2020 when we booked it at the start of the pandemic.

This is all upsetting as we know how much we all love cruising. The only thing is the virus is still here and we don't want cruises to start up if not ready to handle if anyone gets sick.  The last thing we need is for an outbreak and then cruising is done forever. And the more parties that align, the better it will be.

36 minutes ago, EmersonNZ said:

Let's say the 'ok to sail' order is given today. How long would a cruise line need to set sail? 

Carnival and MSC said it took them about 30 days to get going in Europe. Yesterday, NCL said 60 days, but I think their cruise ships are in a state of cold lay up.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Carnival and MSC said it took them about 30 days to get going in Europe. Yesterday, NCL said 60 days, but I think their cruise ships are in a state of cold lay up.

Its hard to keep up with all of this. I'm tracking/following multiple sources as I'm sure Matt is. I posted this in another thread where I've been posting on relevant subjects involving the No-Sail-Order. Over and over again I'm hearing about "logistics" as a long lead time operation before revenue cruises can begin. So, expiration of the No-Sail-Order on October 31st may take the cruise lines anywhere from 30-60d to return to revenue generating sailings.

My take is that this provides a reasonable basis upon which NCL and RCG have cancelled cruises through November. It's going to take BOTH October and November to get even a few ships ready to go while moving other ships up in the line in the rest of the fleet. Truly wondering about Carnival's approach. It has been distant from that of the other big lines.

knowing this is a rc blog, our celebrity thanksgiving cruise cancelled, got the word 5:30pm last night. called celebrity only to get a recording callback, we are diamond plus so we called the captains club number and got to a rep,,,,,yea,,,,we lifted and shift 3 stateroom to next thanksgiving on same ship,,,apex,,,same rooms.  good to go.

Carnival is probably proceeding with the logistics of standing up the handful of ships they hope to sail and hoping the no-sail doesnt extend. If it doesn the ships are ready to go and they sail them, if it does they lose the bet and have ships ready to sail and costing money for crew, etc. with no sailings to go on.

Maybe i can sign up to be an unpaid intern so they can sail with me as an "employee test cruise" ...

we are/were to sail on Dec 5th from MIami on Symphony, If I list RCCL guidelines to start sailing : shorter cruises, smaller ships first, shake down cruises 1st, less passengers, testing of everyone onboard, possible only leaving from Flordia etc.

my issue is, this a rebooked cruise from this summer and RCCL has had my money from 2 years ago with downpayment and over a half a year with final payment on the 1st booked cruise. I feel RCCL should offer a full cash refund option for cruises within 30 days of the no sail order. Right now I still have air fare booked, but no hotel stay for arrival.

for DEC cruises; if they know that they'll probably only sail out of Flordia refund those booked with non Flordia ports, If they feel they'll steer away from certain ships such as Oasis ships, if they feel they will need time for shake down cruises which may happen after the no sail order GIVE US THE CASH REFUND OPTION.

If I could or knew I could  get a cash refund, I would rebook my air flight to visit family over Thanksging, I also also look at driving to family for a Xmas visit. BUT I feel handcuffed by RCCL current options to rebook my Dec cruise.

My famliy members I was sailing with could only sail this year and are unable to sail for the next few years, so I'm not interested in lift and shift, A FCC doesn't help if the other members can't sail next year ( I can't afford to lose their portions of their nontranferring FCC, I will be sailing again but just not with the group that were booked on this cruise.

so if RCCL, feels that they aren't going to sail a full ship, 5 days after the no sail order date give me an option for a full refund, so, I can move on with alternate plans for this upcoming holiday season.

ps I was impressed that they honored the 18.00 drink package< yes that cruise got cancelled> please realize that all of our plans may not match all of your ideas of our needs.

SEA YOU SOON

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 1:18 AM, EmersonNZ said:

Actually you raise a really really interesting question.

I guess we know out answer... at least 2 months. Given they 'could' have sailed Oct 31 and have all said they won't at least until January we have to presume they need that time to restaff the ships, train, test, certify etc etc. So far we know it is at elast 2 months I wonder if it ends up being any longer.