GTY balcony on Freedom OTS

Geoff P

Looking up cruises to use FCC on and noticed the GTY rate for the balcony cabin is a decent amount cheaper than picking our own room...has anyone had a bad experience with the GTY balcony rooms?  Is there really a “bad” balcony room on a ship like Freedom?  They’re all ocean view right?  Thanks!

"Bad" is subjective, meaning if you prefer a particular deck or position on the ship you might not be happy with a GTY, but for the most part I've been lucky with them! 

If you're looking for refundable deposit option then GTY is not going to work because it's only a non-refundable deposit option. But it's a great way to save money if you're not picky about your room.

I did a GTY on Serenade and ended up in a deck 7 forward balcony in the area where the balconies are extended.  Balconies above can look down on you when you are at the railing and your neighbors are right there as in "Can you hold my beer while I take a picture?".  

I had seen these balconies and avoided them but having been placed in one I learned to love it.  I now seek out these cabins on Radiance class.  Someone else may not like the concept.  Since I use my balcony fully dressed it's not an issue for me.  

One's person's bad is another person's dream.  

If there are any obstructed or partially obstructed balconies they are candidates for GTY but so are more expensive categories that sell last since they are priced higher.   

The trick to saving money with a GTY is having low expectations so when it isn't that bad you are pleased with your discount.  However if you do a GTY enough you will eventually get the worse balcony on the ship.   Sometimes these are far forward or aft, or the deck below the pool deck where you'll hear deck noise from above.  Assume the worst.  If that would ruin your cruise then consider paying more to pick your cabin now.  

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some people have preferences and when they get assigned outside of their preference it's "bad".  For example being the last cabin all the way forward or aft means more walking.  Some don't like that.  I see it an opportunity to eat more in the Windjammer.  

How is the noise when coming into port in the balcony rooms all the way forward etc?  I know we have been all the way forward in OV cabins and had a lot of noise there from the motors/anchors whatever it may have been when docking, otherwise no noise though 

46 minutes ago, Geoff P said:

How is the noise when coming into port in the balcony rooms all the way forward etc?  I know we have been all the way forward in OV cabins and had a lot of noise there from the motors/anchors whatever it may have been when docking, otherwise no noise though 

I've only experienced thruster noise on lower decks.  By the time you are up higher it's never bothered me forward and balconies start on higher decks so I've never had an issue.  At the same I'm an early riser often on a top deck when arriving into port.   

1 hour ago, Geoff P said:

Is there really a “bad” balcony room on a ship like Freedom?  They’re all ocean view right?

Depends if you just want the option to go outside from your stateroom or you want a balcony for the purposes of having a spectacular view.

It's not possible to say a specific stateroom will have a spectacular view as it's subjective. One day you could have a spectacular view of the Pitons in St. Lucia and the next you're looking at shipping containers or a fuel depot.

We've never had a bad experience with a GTY balcony.