Navigator Grand Suite for 5 - any pictures, experiences?

My family of 5 was moved from a VP suite on Indy to a GS on Navigator. We were assigned 1278 which apparently has a pullman bed in addition to the sofabed.  Does anyone have any pictures of what a GS looks like with the sofa bed pulled out and/or the pullman?  Haven't found any online.

Would also be interested in hearing experiences of fitting 5 in a GS. We are 3 older kids who will be aged 18, 17 and 17.  

13 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

My family of 5 was moved from a VP suite on Indy to a GS on Navigator. We were assigned 1278 which apparently has a pullman bed in addition to the sofabed.  Does anyone have any pictures of what a GS looks like with the sofa bed pulled out and/or the pullman?  Haven't found any online.

Would also be interested in hearing experiences of fitting 5 in a GS. We are 3 older kids who will be aged 18, 17 and 17.  

That will be tight with basically five adults. Especially giving up the extra half bath that is part of the VP. 

Yes, I realize that.  Problem is RC considers a GS an upgrade over the VP, likely because of the balcony. No VP's available on the Navigator. However rather than ask them to put us in two balcony staterooms for example, we do want to try the suite experience because this trip is celebrating my daughter's graduation.  Hoping to see some pictures or experiences to see how things will look.

I would be very hesitant to believe that 1278 has a Pullman. I am not aware of any regular GS across the fleet that has pullmans. If you look at deck plans of Navigator, they all show that 1278 has a sofa bed but not additional Pullman bed. 

I really think you should look into this more. I would even be hesitant to put my family of 4 in a regular GS and my kids are only 12/14. I honestly don’t see how you would all fit in there. 

Here is a video that I found of that exact cabin. Usually in rooms with a Pullman, you can see the panel on the ceiling. There does not appear to be one here if you look carefully near the beginning.  I would most definitely be asking for a switch in cabins...something with two bedrooms or at least an Owner’s suite with an additional rollaway bed.

https://youtu.be/J7M9xPrhtpQ

@peacefrogdog, no way 5 people? I will always take the the advice of @Lovetocruise2002 and @twangster go back and fight for that 2 bedroom with the 2 bathrooms, 5 adults? In that grande suite someone might be relegated to the balcony by night 2, don't relax to soon with Royal steering this ship (pun intented) that is a tight fit as I believe there is no Pullman.  Let us know! Do you have a TA? Times like this worth their weight in Gold!!

Maybe to Jr suites next to each other, more room modified suite experience? The kids can't imbibe at concierge lounge anyway this could be a good experience I believe. 

Edited by Neesa
Added thought

Through my TA, RC has flat out said no to a OS , and a 2-BR GS is not available on that sailing. The only offered us the option to pay an additional 1600 to upgrade to a OS. However, we currently have a refundable deposit registered (that RC agreed to allow us to carry over from our VP suite, even though typically GS are only booked using a non-refundable deposit). With still some uncertainty about COVID and the availability of a vaccine by then, not to mention not knowing how strict my country (Canada) will be regarding travel to the US by then, having the deposit remain refundable is important to us.

My TA also spoke with 3 different RCI reps who each said there is definitely a pullman in 1278. I agree it isn't in the deck plan on the RC website and I too was unable to see any pictures of that cabin nor any GS at all that had a pullman. But when you do a dummy booking, a number of different GS are marked with a * that indicates a "3rd pullman available". 

23 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

3 different RCI reps

They are more often wrong then they are correct about ship and cabin layouts.

23 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

But when you do a dummy booking, a number of different GS are marked with a * that indicates a "3rd pullman available". 

Just out of pure curiosity, I just did one.  I did not see a single GS on Navigator marked with a "*".

You can go with the GS, but like @Neesa said, one person might be out on the loungers on the balcony.  That room accommodates 4 and even that is very tight.  That completely stinks that you lost the VP and this is what they call a substitute.  In your situation, I really don't know what I would do.  I think I would continue to fight and escalate to get a larger OS (without the additional charge).  At least with that there is enough space to accommodate a rollaway without falling over each other or fight for two GS side by side and still retain the full suite privileges that you would have had.  No way can you put 5 in that cabin and I would be willing to bet that most of those reps haven't actually been on a ship. ?

Last point to put it in perspective.  Last week, RC reps tried to tell my sister that there was a pullman in the Crown Loft suites as well.  Umm...ok.  I told my sister she would be really disappointed if she booked that and expected that.

6 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

Here is what I see when I try to do a dummy booking.  1278 did have a * beside it before it got assigned to me.

That is exactly what happened last week when my sister did a dummy booking on Oasis for the CLS as well.  Definitely a mistake on their end.  No way will all those GS magically have pullmans lol.

4 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

Found this post regarding the GS on the Allure, with the rollaway in there.

I would also be nervous about the rollaway because in light of covid, who knows at this point if rollaways will even be allowed and provided.  Even if they are, you only get a rollaway, IF AVAILABLE.  They will never guarantee you one (unless it's star class).  We have asked for a rollaway many times and it all comes down to whether or not the room attendant can get one.  You would be taking a risk with that plan.

I see where the confusion is coming from.  On the deck plans dated Oct 2, 2020 - Apr 30, 2021, the deck plans show a sofa bed only (the triangle signifies sofa bed) for GS:

image.png.a7910e4418f70458cd85f899833d60ee.png

HOWEVER, the May 3, 2021 - Apr 29, 2022 deck plans show a pullman option for all of the GS:

image.png.8c89221c5b6ac9600e5fdbb347d13ddb.png

I find it VERY hard to believe that they are going to be installing pullman beds in every GS and removing all of the sofa beds between April 30 and May 3 2021.  My guess is that the deck plans for the future (the last ones, in red) are marked in error with an asterisk, indicating a pullman bed rather than the triangle, indicating the sleeper sofa.

So my guess is, the CS rep that told you that there is a pullman bed in there was looking at erroneous deck plans.  I could, of course, be wrong...and maybe they plan on replacing all sleeper sofas with pullman beds, but I really don't think that is going to happen.

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I find it VERY hard to believe that they are going to be installing pullman beds in every GS and removing all of the sofa beds between April 30 and May 3 2021.  My guess is that the deck plans for the future (the last ones, in red) are marked in error with an asterisk, indicating a pullman bed rather than the triangle, indicating the sleeper sofa.

So my guess is, the CS rep that told you that there is a pullman bed in there was looking at erroneous deck plans.  I could, of course, be wrong...and maybe they plan on replacing all sleeper sofas with pullman beds, but I really don't think that is going to happen

Exactly!  If you check the deck plans for Oasis (after May 2021) all the Deck 17 suites show pullmans too.  I highly doubt those are going to be put in.  That's what I told my sister too last week.  The deck plans are more than likely wrong and the reps only look at those, making them wrong too.  Imagine pullmans in all of the lofts?  Those would have to be some pretty high stairs lol.

46 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I see where the confusion is coming from.  On the deck plans dated Oct 2, 2020 - Apr 30, 2021, the deck plans show a sofa bed only (the triangle signifies sofa bed) for GS:

image.png.a7910e4418f70458cd85f899833d60ee.png

HOWEVER, the May 3, 2021 - Apr 29, 2022 deck plans show a pullman option for all of the GS:

image.png.8c89221c5b6ac9600e5fdbb347d13ddb.png

So my guess is, the CS rep that told you that there is a pullman bed in there was looking at erroneous deck plans.  I could, of course, be wrong...and maybe they plan on replacing all sleeper sofas with pullman beds, but I really don't think that is going to happen.

I bet the new deck plans are supposed to show a different key for the symbols.  Notice how 1570 and 1270 go from no symbol to triangle and all the triangles become stars.  I bet * on the new plans = triangle on the old plans but someone didn't update the definitions.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Exactly!  If you check the deck plans for Oasis (after May 2021) all the Deck 17 suites show pullmans too.  I highly doubt those are going to be put in.  That's what I told my sister too last week.  The deck plans are more than likely wrong and the reps only look at those, making them wrong too.  Imagine pullmans in all of the lofts?  Those would have to be some pretty high stairs lol.

Symphony deck plans are the same....showing pullmans on deck 17.  No way

50 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Maybe they added the pullman indicator to include rooms where the rollaway is also an option which would explain the loft suites getting it. 

I can't see how 5 adults in a GS is going to be comfortable at all, though.

Their Twitter feed is saying this as well.  

Very misleading!

If we do this, we would be just using the GS to sleep. Hoping to spend most of our time then in the CL lounge and other areas. I'm actually more concerned about fitting 2 on the sofabed. 

26 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

update: My TA just got confirmation from RCI in line what everyone here thought:

1. there are no, nor will there be, pullman's in the GS.  

2. No one in RCI can explain why the deck plans show pullmans.

So there is your ammunition right there to have them move you to a more suitable room.  With 5 on the reservation, there is no way the GS can accommodate that.

58 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

update: My TA just got confirmation from RCI in line what everyone here thought:

1. there are no, nor will there be, pullman's in the GS.  

2. No one in RCI can explain why the deck plans show pullmans.

34 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So there is your ammunition right there to have them move you to a more suitable room.  With 5 on the reservation, there is no way the GS can accommodate that.

Woot, woot! Let's hear it for this amazing community having everyone's back! Now go and get your more suitable room.

Crisis averted, I'm so happy for you! I was thinking about walking in embarkation day and finding this out on board, what a way to ruin a very wonderful celebration Holiday!

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, have a great sailing!

Edited by Neesa
spelling!

Thus far, through my TA we have: 1) inquired, and was outrite denied the next step up (Owner's suite), 2) said we will cancel our cruise if not upgraded, to which RCI said the GS is already an upgrade to VP (in financial terms only) and that they are already giving us the more expensive suite at the rate of a VP, as well as have allowed us to keep our refundable deposit despite being in the GS. My TA has talked to 5 different RCI reps so far.

RCI seemingly doesn't care that the GS may not fit 5 comfortably as long as we pay. 

We are only Platinum level in C&A Society, so have little pull there.

Other than continue to ask/threaten cancelling, anyone have other practical tips that would actually help us get  RCI to give us a more suitable room? 

6 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

RCI seemingly doesn't care that the GS may not fit 5 comfortably as long as we pay. 

You would have to look into it more, I don't the specific details, but, whenever we ask for a rollaway bed on the phone with the reps the line they always give us is putting more beds than the room can accommodate violates some sort of rule they have. 

Now, fast forward to a week before sailing when we make the same request with the Genie or suite concierge, the request is usually granted.  Only one time they were hesitant to promise us and in the end, the state room attendant took care of it the day of boarding. 

However, the reps on the phone always quote a line where it violates a rule.  The point that I am trying to make it, can you play on that?  You or your TA would have to do some digging, but if there actually is a rule, perhaps you can use that to your advantage.

I am really sorry that I cannot be more specific.

In my situation, every RCI rep has said 5 in the GS is totally fine and that they will provide the roll-away no problem.
What I meant about RCI not caring about fitting 5 comfortably is that the with the rollaway there, there isn't much walking space, there is only one bathroom etc. I.e. they don't care enough about all the concerns raised here about a GS not being comfortable for 5 (even with the roll away) to be a good reason to give us a complimentary upgrade to an owner's suite.

This is so personal, I personally could not do it ( 5 adults in a grand) BUT how much time will you actually be spending in the room? Previously you stated you wanted to spend a lot of time in the concierge lounge, thus the no to the 2 JS set up. If you can make peace with picturing the 5 of you in the grand leave it be BUT make sure you are placed on the wait list for the VP. I was wait listed for VP 2X on separate sailings and BOTH times it became available. Now I have yet to sail in it yet as my previous was cancelled and my 11/23/20 most likely will not go, BUT make sure you are on that list. People cancel all the time. 

I am keeping you in my positive thoughts, positive energy, here's hoping someone realizes it costs them nothing to assign you an OS. We are all rooting for YOU!  Happy graduation, such a fantastic accomplishment for all. 

Good Vibes Love GIF

Can they not give you a room close to the gs ?  Here’s a thought. Since they claim 5 can fit then I would keep it and upon boarding take the roll away bed and set it up in the concierge lounge. Lol.

I was in a tennis cruise in independence. We had 8 women in both of the 2 bedroom grand suites on deck 6. There was another group of 8 women in one 2 bedroom grand suite. Apparently they were not happy having to sleep in a pull out and they ended up moving 2 of the women into a separate room. This happened after they boarded. So that could be an option as well. I think they may have more flexibility to move you. 

Thanks all - have asked them to put us on a waitlist for the VP. Great idea.

It is clear royal won't 'give' us anything, and even doing a search for either balconies or the interiors near where the GS are located show they are currently not bookable (presumably because they're already booked, unless they are on hold for something)

• 3 months later...

Update - we waitlisted to be put on a VP suite. They got back to us today to say a VP was available, but they want to charge us $1800 more to effectively move 'down' from a GS to a VP.  Crazy on so many levels. My TA is looking into this to see if they can just move us at the same price point, given all we are asking is to be in the original VP suite that we originally booked.

update: our TA got them to agree to switch us to the VP suite at the same price they were offering the GS.

I guess if they were willing to charge us more to get our originally booked VP  back, they figure they can charge even more to resell the GS we just gave up.

Now just need the COVID vaccine stars to align.

On 10/1/2020 at 6:21 AM, peacefrogdog said:

Through my TA, RC has flat out said no to a OS , and a 2-BR GS is not available on that sailing. The only offered us the option to pay an additional 1600 to upgrade to a OS. However, we currently have a refundable deposit registered (that RC agreed to allow us to carry over from our VP suite, even though typically GS are only booked using a non-refundable deposit). With still some uncertainty about COVID and the availability of a vaccine by then, not to mention not knowing how strict my country (Canada) will be regarding travel to the US by then, having the deposit remain refundable is important to us.

My TA also spoke with 3 different RCI reps who each said there is definitely a pullman in 1278. I agree it isn't in the deck plan on the RC website and I too was unable to see any pictures of that cabin nor any GS at all that had a pullman. But when you do a dummy booking, a number of different GS are marked with a * that indicates a "3rd pullman available". 

Maybe to accommodate  the 5 people they are bringing in a roll away bed?  They have done that for me in the past.  Otherwise I am not sure. I have been 

in Grande Suites and never have seen a pullman on wall, but I haven't been on Navigator for ages either.