Dealing with RC

I had an interesting thing happen when I booked my last cruise which is coming up in September. I booked thru RC and I told the agent I had a savings certificate from the C&A. The agent says let me see if I can get a better one for you so he comes back and says I have a 300.00 special you can use and of course I said sure. He said this will take a few days to show up on your booking. I kept checking back and talked to another agent who said yea its still in the pipeline. I checked back a week later and it still was not there so I called again got a very nice agent who checked and said that was if you sailed by a certain date and you are sailing after that. My responce was than why was I told it could be done and she could not answer that so I ask to talk to a supervisor and was connected to one I can't recall her name but again a very nice one. I told her what happened and of course she said they never should have told you that and said they need to make sure agents are told not to promise things they can't do.

Well she goes on and says I can't give that deal but I will take 125.00 off you bill and add 175.00 to your on board account and that adds up to 300.00. Well to say I was happy with that goes without asking I feel RC went well above what they had to do.  I guess the lesson is if you feel something is wrong dont call up and yell at people call up and try to reason with them because it works much much better.

This experience with RC has left me with a very good feeling and I will be back cruising with them many more times.

ERS

I don't understand why Royal Caribbean has all these offers, coupons, savings certificates, credit card points, that really no one understands, even their own employees. All it does is cause confusion and screws things up. You are lucky in your case. It is really a hassle to read all the fine print, and in the end just makes more work than it is worth.

Also their booking system and online reservation system is so complicated and antiquated. It is easier to get approved for a mortgage than book a cruise! For a brand that has so many billion dollar ships, they certainly lack in other areas. 

I don't understand why Royal Caribbean has all these offers, coupons, savings certificates, credit card points, that really no one understands, even their own employees. All it does is cause confusion and screws things up. You are lucky in your case. It is really a hassle to read all the fine print, and in the end just makes more work than it is worth.

Also their booking system and online reservation system is so complicated and antiquated. It is easier to get approved for a mortgage than book a cruise! For a brand that has so many billion dollar ships, they certainly lack in other areas. 

Yes, there are lots of offers that are super confusing and a lot of fine print. I think, in general, businesses hope that you get so excited for your cruise, that when certain offers aren't combinable, the customer just gives up and pays whatever they need to.

That being said, as long as you get someone who's GOOD at their job in the hospitality industry, I agree with @greenline627. You catch more flies with honey, for sure! While it may be frustrating to be making all of the calls, just remember--they're not "out to get you!" Be nice to them, and they SHOULD be nice to you. Do NOT be condescending.

Often times, a travel agent (instead of RCI direct) will make similar accommodations for you if mistakes are made. 

Great post! Happy to hear that outcome!

I'm glad things worked out well for you in the end.

I agree it can be frustrating when one person says something and another agent says something else.  This issue rears its ugly head here and there and I agree you need to be vigilant in your checking of your accounts and if something promised doesn't occur, vigilant in fighting with them for it.  

I'd suggest any deal or booking incentive that is a surprise to you should be noted with whom you spoke with so you can give them a name. It helps at least track down the issue and verify you aren't just making things up and/or confused.

Good feedback!