Boarding ship in Port Canaveral-HOTS

HeatherP

1 hour ago, HeatherP said:

Can anyone let me know how much time could actually be gained by purchasing the Key?  I believe you board after the suites.  We are gold members otherwise. 

The boarding benefit is only relevant if you are fully checked in before boarding has started and there isn't much difference between being first or last in that group.  Once boarding has started, you just walk onto the ship after checking in.  The whole process may be different once things restart if you end up needing to follow reserved check in times.  So buy the Key because you want and will use the other benefits.

We obviously can't be certain what will happen post-COVID and what that means for check-in, but we were on HOTS in Port Canaveral in January of this year, DID NOT have the Key, and we were on the ship before 11 am. We got to the terminal just after 10 am(ish).  We are "lowly" ? Gold C&A members, with nothing special one way or the other, and we were held up maybe 5 minutes for a few of the higher-up classes and some Suite guests to be lead on, and then we were sent right on, right along with some Key holders. I'd say for boarding purposes alone, the Key wouldn't provide that much benefit.

Some of that would have to do with the time you arrive at the terminal too, because even if you had the Key, and say, showed up at 1 pm, and here I am Gold only, but showed up at 10 am, that obviously would impact it too. Maybe that changes post-COVID to give some extra Allure (pun intended) to the Key, but pre-COVID I'd say boarding was of no extra benefit, in my opinion. 

My experience was essentially the same as @monctonguy's. Hopped out of the Lyft car at 10:45 and was on board within 35min. They had already started boarding and everyone who might have been waiting for their C&A tier to board had already boarded. At that point, being "just" gold status didn't matter. If I were considering the Key, I would leave expedited boarding out of the equation, unless the boarding process significantly changes once cruising resumes.

5 hours ago, monctonguy said:

We boarded HOS out of Port Canaveral last Nov....no key...I believe we may have waited 10 minutes max after we checked in...on the boat and enjoying a drink before 1130...so I wouldn't say its worth it for boarding purposes....but as mentioned...nothing will be the same as before.....

I agree, very fast boarding at Port Canaveral.  We were on Harmony twice last year.  It's my favorite port and have also used Miami and Ft Lauderdale.