L+S Ending... What a Shame...

deep1

I really had no intention of using it but with pandemic and kids virtual schooling the school board took away vacation dates that would have been for one of our bookings. I researched other sailings that might work and gave them a call. I had a "favorite" in the list of potentials but figured "not in a million years". The agent read off the three most likely  that would match up and then "Oh one more. Yes it qualifies" ! It was my dream trip. We locked it down. It cost me about $80 in extra taxes. But saved me over half of what I would have had to pay if I had tried to book without the L+S... If you are considering L+S don't let it get away without at least calling and seeing what you can come up with...

11 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Maybe the fact it's phasing out is a signal we may see things spin up later in the year.  Just a guess.

Per @Matt's article from earlier today, Royal Caribbean said this is just a reflection of the fact that so far there is no further extension of the global No Sail order.

Lift and Shift is set to expire as an option to use at the end of this month, and RoyalCaribbeanBlog has learned there are no plans to extend it.

An email from a Royal Caribbean Strategic Account Manager confirmed the program is set to expire, "Currently we do not have a plan to extend the Lift & Shift past this end of the month.  Should anything change with the Global suspension, dates will be adjusted accordingly. "

We had a spring break 2021 cruise booked and moved it to 2022 this week due to ending of lift and shift.   We booked in Dec of 2019 but after reading the healthy sail panel recommendations the cruise didn't sound enjoyable.  My personal thoughts is if they start in Nov with the test cruises they won't be ramped up till Jan/Feb, still in the shakedown period of the processes for COVID.  Going to delay a year and hope most of these regulations are sunseted due the virus being under control. 

Just got word that my Lift and Shift request was completed. Moved from Dec 14-18, 2020 on Adventure of the Seas to Dec 20-24, 2021 on Adventure of the Seas. Really shocked they allowed it considering how close the replacement date is to Christmas, but I'm not complaining.

Still time to take advantage for those on the fence. 

Just completed my 4th Empress L&S.  We had already shifted an Empress Thanksgiving cruise to Allure Thanksgiving so we did another one for the week prior to give us B2B.  We also L&S Empress for Christmas and NY next year on Symphony. Sorry to see this program end but I understand that it cannot continue indefinitely.  

42 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Just completed my 4th Empress L&S.  We had already shifted an Empress Thanksgiving cruise to Allure Thanksgiving so we did another one for the week prior to give us B2B.  We also L&S Empress for Christmas and NY next year on Symphony. Sorry to see this program end but I understand that it cannot continue indefinitely.  

You are an evil genius (and I mean that in the best way!)

Glad to hear that this program gave you a good outcome! I can't for the life of me get a comparable lift and shift. I did a star class cruise and the only option is to accept the same cruise in a lesser night but same cabin or a non star class cabin, both for the same price I paid. The reps first say that lift and shift has to be a stay on the same ship, and then later reverse course and say that it's just that I can't be given an option of a different ship because I have the option to accept a lesser night cabin. I've called at least 10 diff times.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Star class bookings are one of the hardest to L&S. Reason being that SC rooms are typically sold out way in advance already and there are not many of them to begin with. I have lost 3 SC sailings now since March. No luck shifting any of them.

Sorry to hear that! Argh!! I was seeing people in my current cruise group with a bunch of successes shifting to different ships that do have SC availability so tried those ships but they wouldn't budge for my booking at all. 

9 hours ago, Ent said:

Glad to hear that this program gave you a good outcome! I can't for the life of me get a comparable lift and shift. I did a star class cruise and the only option is to accept the same cruise in a lesser night but same cabin or a non star class cabin, both for the same price I paid. The reps first say that lift and shift has to be a stay on the same ship, and then later reverse course and say that it's just that I can't be given an option of a different ship because I have the option to accept a lesser night cabin. I've called at least 10 diff times.

UGH.  That is very unfortunate.  Sorry to hear it.  I had a bit of a challenge with my Royal Suite on Empress in my very first L&S.  They absolutely refused to shift my RS to an OS on Odyssey.  We went around and around with them.  Finally they offered me a Star Class suite on Allure and we shouted, "SOLD !".

15 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

well for you its been a great program, and for many others - maybe they will bring it back in some form at a later date 
Maybe you will actually sail on Empress one day, lol.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:08 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Star class bookings are one of the hardest to L&S. Reason being that SC rooms are typically sold out way in advance already and there are not many of them to begin with. I have lost 3 SC sailings now since March. No luck shifting any of them.

This is my fear. I looked at lifting my Feb '21 cruise, but some jerk (me) had already booked the same room, the same week in feb '22 and all the other ATS2BR's are gone for all the other weeks now too. We are traveling with 6 people, so that really limits our options.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:03 PM, Ent said:

Ouch... They were great with us... Same class  but different ship , same itinerary, different departure port and even snuck in a holiday the original didn't have... Cabins actually a little better but not a  lot different. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:19 PM, deep1 said:

Ouch... They were great with us... Same class  but different ship , same itinerary, different departure port and even snuck in a holiday the original didn't have... Cabins actually a little better but not a  lot different. 

Wondering if it's the travel agent?

EDITED so it's not repeating. I have a question below.

Not to hijack the thread but want to ask about my situation. Long story short I had a lift and shift approved and my current cruise and excursions canceled and my reservation showed the new booking. They said the amount was price protected and it would adjust and nothing else was needed from me as the lift and shift was complete. I call this morning to check up on it and all of a sudden I get a call and they're saying I misunderstood and did cruise with confidence and the revenue department didn't approve the lift and shift so I will need to pay the prevailing rate or they need to revert my booking to my old one and my canceled excursions have to be rebooked at the prevailing rate. I was not happy but they said I had no choice so I agreed but thinking on it, it's not making any sense. Because if I did cruise with confidence then why would it go through the revenue department? It was confirmed in the notes (travel agent) that Royal Caribbean did indeed say that it was price protected and was done, nothing further needed from me but they said it didn't matter what was previously said.

They said it's normal practice to hold the booking for lift and shift by changing the booking and canceling the previous one which makes no sense to me because if it's rejected later then what would happen if my previous cabin was booked? Is this normal practice or were they just saying that to get me to agree to shift back to my old cabin and undo the lift and shift? My previous lift and shift attempts never changed the booking, and was told the booking would only change if the lift and shift was approved and processed.

On 9/30/2020 at 10:23 AM, emsff02 said:

This is my fear. I looked at lifting my Feb '21 cruise, but some jerk (me) had already booked the same room, the same week in feb '22 and all the other ATS2BR's are gone for all the other weeks now too. We are traveling with 6 people, so that really limits our options.

iu.jpeg