Time frame for Covid Testing

New protocols are calling for prior Covid testing 24 hrs to 5 days prior to boarding, 

What has been the time frame for the people who have been tested to get their results? I am seeing most places take 3 days to get results if you are lucky.

I foresee this being an issue if everyone in your party can not get results back in  time to set sail due to the labs being over loaded with test.

Please let me hear your input and ideas on this issue

My family members (different folks) have had 4 tests done so far.  One from CVS took 5 days to get back but that was a few months ago and was done on a Thursday so I assume that impacted turnaround. The other 3 were all rapid tests and were returned within 25 minutes. For that, the key is to search for rapid Covid tests. However, in all of these cases, there was a reason to get tested because the person felt bad and saw someone in a clinic first for a few minutes.  I’m not sure how easy it is/will be to get a rapid test because you are going on a cruise. 

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

they were exposed to someone who had it.

This is the issue I am finding, if you're not sick or haven't been in contact with someone who was sick, if you just need a test for say a ..."cruise" they don't do rapid testing or even let you schedule an appointment

38 minutes ago, Melodyjn said:

New protocols are calling for prior Covid testing 24 hrs to 5 days prior to boarding, 

What has been the time frame for the people who have been tested to get their results? I am seeing most places take 3 days to get results if you are lucky.

I foresee this being an issue if everyone in your party can not get results back in  time to set sail due to the labs being over loaded with test.

Had the same question.  Most places do not provide results within that window - some can.   The faster tests tend to go to  the symptomatic cases.

I just moved from Tokyo to Managua. Part of the protocol involved a COVID test. In the major airline hub cities (and in some cases actually in the airport) you can get a RT-PCR test with a less than 12 hour turn around. Newark had facilities for this, for sure, and we actually tested at the lab recommended by Avianca in Miami, about 20 minutes from the airport. 
Cost was $189 per person and all you have to say to get an appointment is that you’re “traveling”.  There was also a choice of lab that took 24 hours to return results but only cost about $90. 
So long as cruises are leaving from large cities like that, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

34 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

I just moved from Tokyo to Managua. Part of the protocol involved a COVID test. In the major airline hub cities (and in some cases actually in the airport) you can get a RT-PCR test with a less than 12 hour turn around. Newark had facilities for this, for sure, and we actually tested at the lab recommended by Avianca in Miami, about 20 minutes from the airport. 
Cost was $189 per person and all you have to say to get an appointment is that you’re “traveling”.  There was also a choice of lab that took 24 hours to return results but only cost about $90. 
So long as cruises are leaving from large cities like that, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

Fantastic, now we can decide between the beverage package, and dropping $400 on 2 covid tests

1 hour ago, Melodyjn said:

This is the issue I am finding, if you're not sick or haven't been in contact with someone who was sick, if you just need a test for say a ..."cruise" they don't do rapid testing or even let you schedule an appointment

This could vary by local transmission/ testing capability factors. I had planned a road trip (completely voluntary, non-essential travel) from CA to Seattle and requested a test through my doctor (Kaiser insurance) as a precaution prior to staying with friends/family. Kaiser had no hesitations about getting me tested even though I didn't knowingly have contact with anyone who had tested positive and didn't think I would have it.
They had me take the test 10 days before my scheduled departure, since it's been a toss up whether it takes 1 week+ for results or a quick turnaround. I got my results in just under 2 days. Which ended up not being needed after all because everything's was on fire and I cancelled the trip... so I'll probably take another test once it's rescheduled.

Rut Row....I called all over and received several different responses, but all with the same outcome, no exposure? No symptoms? Fat chance you are getting a rapid response test, would not even allow me to make the appointment. And understandable, I actually felt bad explaining it would be for a cruise. (Pretty much felt berated, like are you CRAZY??) I refuse to fake exposure or symptoms to test, that is super bad karma, yikes!

Oh No Deal With It GIF by DreamWorks Animation

We live on the boarder of WV/VA. Our doctors are in VA and my mother, myself and my wife have had the nasal swabs for COVID testing done in VA prior to a scheduled medical procedure and the results have been back in 48 hours.  In WV they have rotated testing on demand around the various counties, I do not know how long it has taken to get those results.  Will be seeing my GP doctor next month and I will try to ask her about scheduling a test prior to a cruise and see what she says.

Over here (outside of US) to be able and take a fight you need to bring a C19 test.

At first you could have done it as part of the health care system (without paying) but now they have changed it and you need to pay around 85$ it is being done at the travel clinics (were you get vaccine if you want to travel to places that requires it). Results are back in  24 hours  or less but to get the test you should show a prove of a flight and a passport.

As far as I know there is a certified FDA fast test  (less than 30 second ) there is also another approved test , like the PCR one but that can be done with smaller equipment and gives fast results. I believe RCL and NCL will signed a contract with several labs which will allow people that will show cruise tickets to take a test and get fast results.

Still , I am sure at the first cruises there will be lots of issues , not everyone will get results on time and not all people will be allowed to embark but it will become better. All until the  C19 vaccine  will be common enough.

20 hours ago, Melodyjn said:

I think it depends where you live, there is a walk in clinic down the street from my work that does the tests with results in 10-15 minutes, you make an appt , pull up in your car, they come out, give you the test.. then you wait in your car and the walk out minutes later with the results.

The CVS stores in my area are advertising that you can get your test results back in 2-3 days. I figure if I go and get tested exactly 5 days out I should be able to get the results back before I have to travel to the port. This does not leave me much wiggle room since I am sailing out on November 5 and 5 days prior to that date is a Friday. If the labs are not operating over the weekend then I would most likely not get my results back until the day we are scheduled to leave

I will definitely be looking for a rapid test site and following along as to how Royal plans to handle the testing situation.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

You can tell them you are feeling sick and might have been exposed.  There's no polygraph test that comes with the COVID test.

Just saying.

Soooo, you think sneaking booze on a ship is unethical, but lying to get expedited test results during a pandemic is ok? Maybe cruisers shouldn't be at the top of list for expedited results. 

7 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Up here in Canada, when I tried to bring my elderly relatives on a cruise, the Doctor said that he still does not recommend elderly people take cruises till pandemic is over, but someone under 40 should have lesser risk.

So in the doc's opinion, anyone over 40 is elderly?????????

7 minutes ago, teddy said:

I don't feel elderly.....

Me either.  We get calls on 911 all of the time that go something like this:

911:  "And the female that you saw, can you describe her, please?"

Caller: "Yes, she was a white female, brunette, blue jacket, elderly"

911:  "And can you give me an idea of what you mean by elderly, sir?"

Caller: "Oh, you know, about 35."

911:  ...... bangs head on desk .....

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

911:  "And the female that you saw, can you describe her, please?"

Caller: "Yes, she was a white female, brunette, blue jacket, elderly"

911:  "And can you give me an idea of what you mean by elderly, sir?"

Caller: "Oh, you know, about 35."

911: "Sir, what is your own age?"

Caller: "I'm 19."

911: "Please go home and tell your mother what you did. And that I've instructed you that you're grounded until she feels like you've learned the lesson."

911: "Sir, what is your own age?"

Caller: "Oh, I'm 59."

911: "That sound you hear is my jaw hitting the floor and my tongue rolling out. Followed by my head exploding from the hypocrisy."

? Sorry, long day of coding and first break all day. I'm feeling kind of spicy.

Testing has always been one of the the best ways to control spread of the virus (along with social distancing and masks).  Unfortunately there are individuals that control these things who do not want more tests to be made available.  Even though this may not help those who want to cruise in the near future (if it becomes available), if there is a change in Washington, testing may become way more obtainable.  I was also reading that RC had ordered a bunch of rapid tests (can't find the article).  It would make sense to not only have testing done prior to departure, but also a rapid test before allowing anyone to board.  This and other safety mitigations may make cruising the safest way to vacation!

One thing I would caution is that testing in the future may look different than testing today. 

The protocols announced are not for cruising In September 2020 but potentially for many months into the future.  Testing in March for example will likely look a lot different than today.   Testing in June will be different than testing in March.  Testing one year from today will be very different compared to what it is today.  As business travel restarts the need for non-symptomatic rapid testing will change.  Personal travel will benefit from those changes.

Families too will need to consider the impact of testing on their little angels.  Some children may not like testing requirements.  Is a complete meltdown from a swab up the nose worth it?  

8 hours ago, Cruisegirl1976 said:

I think it depends where you live, there is a walk in clinic down the street from my work that does the tests with results in 10-15 minutes, you make an appt , pull up in your car, they come out, give you the test.. then you wait in your car and the walk out minutes later with the results.

I am in South(west) Florida and that's how we in my family got tested. No exposure or symptoms required. I don't think it was the PRC test or whatever is accepted for traveling but it worked for our peace of mind and daughter going back to college.