Crazy Hurricane Season

cruisellama

As Beta is approaching the Texas/Louisiana coast, this crazy hurricane season would have done a number on cruising - if all the lines were operational.   So might be a little silver lining to the Caribbean sailing season being delayed.  I remember going through the naming alphabet a few years ago, but don't remember the gulf coast getting this beat up.

17 minutes ago, krhardy said:

Yep...I've been in the OBX for a week, and we have felt the effects of 3 storms...Paulette, Sally, and now Teddy. Dear 2020...enough already! (although...crappy weather at the beach beats crappy weather at home!)

Haven't been there for years.  I remember the traffic in/out every Sat & Sun.   Still going on?

2 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Haven't been there for years.  I remember the traffic in/out every Sat & Sun.   Still going on?

Depending on where you want to go, yes! We are staying in Kill Devil Hills (where the Wright Bros actually flew from ? ). Yesterday, we had thought about going south towards Hattaras/Ocracoke but the weather had other plans for us. We went north towards Corolla/Duck instead. When we left at about 1, traffic going north was heavy but not horrendous. When we came back about around 4:30, the northbound traffic was awful (thankfully, at that point, we were going south). The "after season" rentals are high this year since so many people are teleworking and digital learning. Still...a crappy weather day at the beach is superior to home!

I’m just thankful NE Florida has been spared......so far. I feel so badly for the gulf coast. They’ve really taken a beating. 

Makes me so nervous for my October Odyssey next year in the Mediterranean. Not for storms there but a storm heading for our town. I live on a farm and my farm sitter would have to deal with battening down the hatches or the very worst, evacuating my horses. 

Hopefully since we’re so active this year, next year will be mild. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

Since my January cruise is probably going to get cancelled, I was looking at an October cruise out of Cape Liberty on Oasis. My wife's first reaction was, no way hurricanes! I'm really not concerned, any thoughts on how I can mitigate her fears?

As I understand it, RC makes every effort to avoid such things, and have a team monitoring weather way ahead of any ships course and making "suggestions" to the ships captain about how to avoid any unpleasantness. Passengers turning green and not having an amazing time isnt good for business.

My grandson and I are currently sitting in our hotel room in Disney as the ONLY hurricane of the season to do so, meanders through Central Florida! Thankfully most of the storm came overnight and probably will clear out within a couple more hours.  Has been a lousy week weather wise, the only thing for which you can’t plan!!!

22 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

Since my January cruise is probably going to get cancelled, I was looking at an October cruise out of Cape Liberty on Oasis. My wife's first reaction was, no way hurricanes! I'm really not concerned, any thoughts on how I can mitigate her fears?

Statistics? How many cruises go, unchanged and safely, during Hurricane season vs. how many get changed and/or canceled. 

While it's less likely hurricanes will impact October Bayonne cruises, that is Nor'easter season.  After Anthem's run in with a storm in that area they have made a lot of changes and hired a full time Chief Meteorologist to avoid a repeat. 

Some other cruise lines didn't learn and have encountered storms that made the news which doesn't help your cause but Royal did learn.  Nonetheless there is guilt by association whenever another cruise line does something stupid.