ICON CLASS UPDATE

10 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It will be interesting to see pricing for this ship. With so much 'resort' included with your cruise fare you have to believe it will be significantly higher than  standard cruise fare. Most waterparks are in the $50-$100 per person per day for admission (or well over $100 per day at Coco Cay) and I feel that Royals plan is to incorperate this into the fare.

I love the idea of the ecalators between lower floors, you have to believe this will drastically reduce elevator log jams after shows and events.

They refer to The Hideaway as “brag worthy” in a few places, I wonder if they plan to charge to access this area, possibly day passes?  Same for Category 6?

14 hours ago, Al Miller said:

PS - Any idea on "To Dry For"? I'd love a passenger self serve laundry, but I have a feeling that's not it.

It’s a women’s hair blow dry bar.  They introduced the concept right before covid hit.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/1131/blowing-away-expectations-royal-caribbean-opens-first-standalone-blow-dry-bar-at-sea/

4 hours ago, HHNChris said:

Cruise Director on Allure just said the Icon party on the Promenade from 11pm-12:30am is giving away swag including a free room on the inaugural sailing….

Someone who's blogging from Oasis just now said the same. I wonder if every current sailing is offering a freebie on Icon...

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Someone who's blogging from Oasis just now said the same. I wonder if every current sailing is offering a freebie on Icon...

Yep. On the Oasis....Icon Celebration Party on the Promenade last night at 11pm. Ballon drop and prizes, including a freebie sailing on Icon! 20221020_200431.thumb.jpg.4b370ff6cf4ef73447aade0a0a046fa3.jpg

I wasn't fully Wowed when the Oasis class ships came out.  Only the size was the big wow factor for me.  I mean I love going on them with all there is to do, but the Icon class looks amazing and I can't stop watching videos and seeing pictures.  Hope I get to sail on her one day!

I never thought I would say this, but the desire is not there for me with this class.

One, it is way too large, I can't imagine feeling comfortable with close to 10k people. Two, it is much too family focused, I don't have children and I try to avoid sailing with too many. With even more non-suite cabins focused on families and neighborhoods dedicated to children and families; it doesn't sound like I would be able to find good places to chill and relax. Lastly, it will be too expensive for a very long time. I don't care about slides, games etc. so I can't imagine paying a premium for that. However, I am glad for the cruisers with children to be able to have more options.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:49 AM, Firefly said:

I highly doubt our family will sail Icon as we prefer the more relaxed smaller and midsized ships. Oasis class, and now Icon, are just way too big for us - too many people, lines and crowds. We cruise to relax, chill and enjoy the culture of ports, but I know many cruise for the ship. Icon will no doubt be a hit with families. 

Reasons why I wish Royal would consider building a smaller version of the Oasis Class w/o the water slides, dry slide, & Aqua Theater. Just a version of CP & BW(with an infinity pool in the back)... capable of docking at any number of ports & trans versing the Canal.

31 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Reasons why I wish Royal would consider building a smaller version of the Oasis Class w/o the water slides, dry slide, & Aqua Theater. Just a version of CP & BW(with an infinity pool in the back)... capable of docking at any number of ports & trans versing the Canal.

Maybe you will get your wish in a decade or so as Vision Class ships get closer to retirement and would need to be replaced. 

I think Royal would replace Vision Class ships with a ship of similar size and not as many bells and whistles as Oasis and Icon Class. 

If you don't wish to wait that long there are some spectacular Panama Canal cruises in 2023 on Brilliance, Radiance and Serenade of the Seas. You don't have an infinity pool off the back of the ship but these ships  are sailing through the canal in 2023.

Royal has smaller ships in service the problem is none of them are near the end of their life cycle with Royal Caribbean.  And I understand customers who like smaller ships are like what about us?  When are we getting a new small ship? I guess for the time being that segment of the market is going to have to wait a little longer with the hope that the next class of ship Royal builds will be geared towards guest who like and appreciate smaller quieter ships where the ship isn't the destination.

12 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

An educated guess would be that Royal is planning to develop an LNG version of the Quantum/Quantum Ultra class to eventually replace that class. I think we're up to 5 Quantum class ships now... assuming Odyssey will be the last (who knows!) and Utopia will be the last Oasis class. I agree... it would be smart for Royal to develop a smaller class (also LNG fueled or something comparable at that time) to eventually replace some of the older vessels/classes (Voyager/Freedom) down the road so they can continue to access and service the smaller ports, etc.

I don't see Royal Caribbean International ever going backwards to smaller ships.  It's not their thing.  RCI is a mass market cruise line.  

Smaller ships with less thrills-based activities is Celebrity's target market under the umbrella of Royal Caribbean Group fleet and ships.  

All they need to do is better share loyalty programs between brands and you've got no reason not to sail X when you seek smaller ships with fewer thrills on board.  At least they recognize loyalty members from within the family of brands.  Carnival doesn't do any sort of loyalty recognition between their brands.  

If you renamed Celebrity Edge to Royal Caribbean Edge and they operated it under the RCI brand you've got the newer smaller ship that can do the canal minus the water slides and zip lines.  They are unlikely to do that so for those guests seeking newer but smaller ships look towards Celebrity.  

3 hours ago, Marlena said:

I'm interested to see prices for icon. I really want to go summer 2024 ( to celebrate my 40th) bit worried the price will be astronomical. Doesn't help that canadian to American dollar conversion isn't great for us Canucks right about now.

The prices for the Wonder maiden voyage weren't really astronomically high.  But that was during the time when COVID was still a main issue.  Royal was trying to get people back to cruising back then.  Now with all of that (seemingly) behind, Royal might place higher prices for the Icon.  I am hoping with you that it doesn't.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't see Royal Caribbean International ever going backwards to smaller ships.  It's not their thing.  RCI is a mass market cruise line.  

Smaller ships with less thrills-based activities is Celebrity's target market under the umbrella of Royal Caribbean Group fleet and ships.  

All they need to do is better share loyalty programs between brands and you've got no reason not to sail X when you seek smaller ships with fewer thrills on board.  At least they recognize loyalty members from within the family of brands.  Carnival doesn't do any sort of loyalty recognition between their brands.  

If you renamed Celebrity Edge to Royal Caribbean Edge and they operated it under the RCI brand you've got the newer smaller ship that can do the canal minus the water slides and zip lines.  They are unlikely to do that so for those guests seeking newer but smaller ships look towards Celebrity.  

My only thought would be for existing routes, especially Alaska - would they just stop running those routes and/or turn them over to a Celebrity ship?

50 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

The prices for the Wonder maiden voyage weren't really astronomically high.  But that was during the time when COVID was still a main issue.  Royal was trying to get people back to cruising back then.  Now with all of that (seemingly) behind, Royal might place higher prices for the Icon.  I am hoping with you that it doesn't.

Yeah, Wonder was fairly reasonable. We shall all see on Monday, I suppose.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

LoL...although Celebrity is under the RIG umbrella, the two brands have vastly different personality. The Atmosphere & Environment on Celebrity is not the same Vibe that Royal have. Royal is its own Brand in itself...and they not only are innovating; but, ahead of the curve looking forward. So, I certainly can see, with new younger, more modern thinking leadership, replacing Fain a slight change in approach, geared toward what I'm suggesting...as well as, what JasonOasis & JohnK5404 theorize, as a possible train of thought.

Hey guys, new to the forum! I´m a C&A member but have no idea how and when reservations will open. Will it be on the email, or available in the website when I login? Also, I was told that for the inagural cruise you only have 7 days after making the reservation and paying the deposit to pay off the reservation amount so I discarded that one, I guess it only applies to the very first itinerary right?

28 minutes ago, JuanF said:

Hey guys, new to the forum! I´m a C&A member but have no idea how and when reservations will open. Will it be on the email, or available in the website when I login? Also, I was told that for the inagural cruise you only have 7 days after making the reservation and paying the deposit to pay off the reservation amount so I discarded that one, I guess it only applies to the very first itinerary right?

I was wondering the same thing and can’t get any assistance from the Royal people. 

29 minutes ago, JuanF said:

Also, I was told that for the inagural cruise you only have 7 days after making the reservation and paying the deposit to pay off the reservation amount so I discarded that one, I guess it only applies to the very first itinerary right?

Definitely had *not* heard this before - definitely not how it played out for Wonder. @Matt

1 hour ago, GKMCruising said:

Definitely had *not* heard this before - definitely not how it played out for Wonder. @Matt

I was told that over the phone, if its that way I will definitely not book that one... just hoping it tells ya before paying the deposit or putting a reservation hold.

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

i'm sort of confused as to how Crown and Anchor members will access it a day early.  Special link? or just won't go through if you don't put your C&A number when you fill out the form to book.

Tried with my CA number as well. Got a feeling they may have just the gun on updating the site.. I realise it's not quite the 24th over there yet.