ICON CLASS UPDATE

5 hours ago, steverk said:

I think this portion of the film is from the show "flight." I'm not sure which ship it is on, but I've seen that clip on marketing videos for some time now.

1 hour ago, Joseph Wahoski said:

Yes, it is from “Flight.” I saw it on Symphony. Really awesome show!

Oh, nice! I was wondering what Flight was about. This makes me want to see it more. 

1 hour ago, SuzanneM said:

Oh, nice! I was wondering what Flight was about. This makes me want to see it more. 

It’s a great show. Lot’s of stuff that’s not just “how did they do that on a cruise ship?!” but also just “how did they do that?!” Like the zero G stuff, no wires visible at all. Really cool stuff. Without spoiling anything, the 3D/interactive vibe of the show is really awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, Matt said:

So what do we think is going on in the space that's normally the solarium? We know it's too high to be the theater and it doesn't look like it could be a pool to be like an aqua theater....maybe an aerial theater? or circus-like venue?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/sites/default/files/styles/wide_1200_/public/2022-09/icon-front-construction-2.jpg.webp?itok=n5nfb_LR

My thoughts:

The video finally shows the inside of that ball, but still not indication what it's for! Those could be seats, but they also look like steps. At first I thought maybe a light show, but it's a bit too surrounded on the sides and too open in the front and back for that. I definitely think it's some sort of visual spectacle.

The colored waterfalls look cool.

They're bringing back Central Park, it looks like. I'd assume the Boardwalk as well unless they have another idea for a neighborhood.

Building a ship from start to finish in three years is just crazy and shows how far all kinds of technology has gotten to be able to make that happen. Pretty cool.

2 hours ago, steverk said:

I also notice what appears to be an infinite veranda mock up.

yeah that is interesting...  i read mixed reviews on them on the celebrity boards on cruise critic.  some people really hate them.

I liked it when i sailed on Edge, but it is certainly different then a "real" balcony.

I liked the infinite veranda on Edge, but I also really like an obscure cabin category that the newer DCL ships have (Dream/Fantasy and now Wish):

image.png.55d65686f36ee9edfbe50ab84fa2395f.png

The pink colored ones don't have a balcony, just a giant picture window, whereas the ones above and below have balconies.

Some of them have an extra murphy bed so allow 5 to sleep in the cabin, but I just like the extra space.  You get a nice comfortable chair, and you can sit and gaze at the ocean while still being well air conditioned.  Very nice in August.

But with the infinite veranda, you can still open the window when you want, to check the air temp, listen to the ocean, etc.

On 9/2/2022 at 4:27 PM, steverk said:

I hope not too. The tracks take up so much deck space.

The one on the Prima was done smarter than the other NCL ships with go carts. Apparently the track goes around the stack. So you still loose some deck space , but not as much as the Breakaway Plus ships.

Even though I am sure no one has the Exclusive patent on Go Carts, I'd be surprised if Royal Went with that. It's so Identified with NCL at this point. I think some version of a Lazy River could be done in a cool way on a super big ship.

6 hours ago, Al Miller said:

I think some version of a Lazy River could be done in a cool way on a super big ship.

Agreed, but lazy rivers can be a real strain on the resources. With so many twists and turns, the amount of lifeguards needed to watch it is significantly more than traditional pools.

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It’ll be interesting to try the infinite veranda concept on Icon.  Not sure how I will like it but won’t know until I try !  Frankly, I don’t really get that much use out of a balcony anyway so the extra room will be a bonus.  I like having a balcony but don’t really sit out there, much.

There's been good and bad feedback on the infinite verandas on the Celebrity Edge class ships. Some will not do it again, others like the extra interior space. It'd be interesting to know what the survey results were back in 2018.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/01/19/survey-reveals-possible-infinite-veranda-stateroom-royal-caribbean

In the end, Royal Caribbean is likely putting these on their new ship because it significantly reduces the drag versus traditional balconies (lower fuel costs). The surveys must have had enough positive interest in this type of room for them to go forward with it.

It'll be interesting to hear what Royal Caribbean customers have to say about these new oceanview *cough* I mean veranda staterooms after trying them out.

6 hours ago, Al Miller said:

I think some version of a Lazy River could be done in a cool way on a super big ship.

I sure do love a lazy river and think it could be really cool too.

21 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Agreed, but lazy rivers can be a real strain on the resources. With so many twists and turns, the amount of lifeguards needed to watch it is significantly more than traditional pools.

Not to mention the pump system to keep the water flowing and moving us fatties who overindulged at Windjammer. 

On 9/23/2022 at 9:21 AM, Carlos A. said:

Why not an aqua coaster like The Blaster on Navigator?

I've suggested the Blaster should have been put on Oasis & Allure (whenever it's Amped). Also, I hate they removed the kids pool from Oasis, when it was Amped... the pool should had remained, when Royal Amped the area vs sacrificing a percentage of the original space(landscape) for loungers, reducing the overall size of the area. Kids want to be "in water", think it was 30inches deep; as well as, treading in 2inches of water while getting dumped on. The kid's pool was regular populated, vs now reduced "traffic & use" over a period of time. And also, gotta get it off my chest again, although I've said this many times before, I wish when Oasis got Amped, they would have put in a cascade pool in the Solarium, much like what's on the Quantum Class Ships.

Hopefully, these things make the cut for Icon... as well as, a Lazy River, which could be engineered done, on Oasis Class Ships, w/o encroaching on much of the ship landscape (pump & filter included). Anyway, that's my "Rant & Wish"

I think roller coasters and aqua coasters should be left on land. In my opinion they just aren't fast enough on a cruise ship and  I don't think there is a way for any cruise line to really amp up the speed in a safe manner.  I love roller coasters the faster, taller, scarier the better.  If Royal were to put a roller coaster or aqua coaster on Icon would I ride it, once and more than likely then never again.  Kind of like Bionic Bar it would be a one and done for me.  I do like the idea of a lazy river a little more than go carts (let NCL have their go carts that is something else that is way more enjoyable on land). But somehow Royal did manage to capture the fun of bumper cars on Quantum class ships I absolutely love bumper cars. 

Having said that, I am hoping they come up with something truly innovative, but no matter what it is I simply just can't wait to set foot on Icon. 

3 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

In my opinion they just aren't fast enough on a cruise ship and  I don't think there is a way for any cruise line to really amp up the speed in a safe manner.

Relative speed is slower than on land but absolute speed can be very fast if ship is cruising. 
I get a thrill on Navigator blaster having a negative absolute speed at sea. 

Would love a lazy river or just any kind of pool that actually resembles (as much as is possible on a ship) a large resort style pool. Having separate small pools just seems a waste of space - they are all just so very crowded all the time and to me uninviting. Kids will go in any water container though 🙂 I also much prefer the enclosed solarium on the quantum class AND every ship should have an indoor pool because weather happens everywhere and in every season.. I also think the concept of the boardwalk could be expanded upon. Perhaps instead of having the one area on deck 6 to have it as an actual wraparound boardwalk somewhat like what NCL does with their waterfront but instead of just eateries to have different activities and features. 

I have to say I like the idea  of the lazy river but I feel like it wouldn't be very long (unless they somehow managed to have it go all the way around the top deck which feels like an almost impossible ask) and rides around would be limited so I feel like I wouldn't be able to be as lazy as I'd like Lol.

I think a blast coaster could be cool but I feel like, because other lines already have them, Royal wouldn't do it on their new ship. I get the feeling, with all the secrecy, they really want to do things we haven't seen on their competition.

I'm still obsessed on what they could be doing that would use a lot of water though. I think it's the best riddle. (and I think it would help to know what kind of feel this ship would have. Oasis is very family fun. high energy, big thrills. Quantum is cool tech and classy elegance.) I think Icon will be something in the middle.....

On 9/26/2022 at 6:38 AM, JasonOasis said:

I think roller coasters and aqua coasters should be left on land. In my opinion they just aren't fast enough on a cruise ship and  I don't think there is a way for any cruise line to really amp up the speed in a safe manner.  I love roller coasters the faster, taller, scarier the better.  If Royal were to put a roller coaster or aqua coaster on Icon would I ride it, once and more than likely then never again.  Kind of like Bionic Bar it would be a one and done for me.  I do like the idea of a lazy river a little more than go carts (let NCL have their go carts that is something else that is way more enjoyable on land). But somehow Royal did manage to capture the fun of bumper cars on Quantum class ships I absolutely love bumper cars. 

Having said that, I am hoping they come up with something truly innovative, but no matter what it is I simply just can't wait to set foot on Icon. 

I was on Carnival Marti Gras a few weeks ago. Not many people rode the coaster, it was pretty dead most of the cruise. I'm pretty sure $15 for a 30 second ride didn't help either

On 9/23/2022 at 7:21 AM, Carlos A. said:

Why not an aqua coaster like The Blaster on Navigator?

I just got off Navigator yesterday. I was so pumped to finally sail navigator and try out the blaster but ended up underwhelmed. While the concept seemed crazy the actual product was kind of meh. I much preferred the rip tide slide.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just watching a video and and thought I saw that the big ball being installed in Icon, may be a zero gravity experience??? If this is what it is, who knows what that may cost. If you consider $29 for 2 min in Ifly onboard Quantum Class ships are to much or expensive maybe, but where else would you be able to experience such a thing! 

On 9/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

It’ll be interesting to try the infinite veranda concept on Icon.  Not sure how I will like it but won’t know until I try !  Frankly, I don’t really get that much use out of a balcony anyway so the extra room will be a bonus.  I like having a balcony but don’t really sit out there, much.

I would like to at least try the Infinite Veranda, but was thinking....on the current balconies, if you step out onto your balcony and put the handle back in the closed position you can still keep the A/C going. If this new veranda is open, I would imagine the A/C will will turn off, and all the cool air in the room will be lost. Now it will take a lot of time to re-cool the room back down and change the humidity back to a comfortable level. If we let all the A/C to be sucked out, especially while moving then try to re-cool the room back down, I think the HVAC systems will have issues with freezing up. The (A) coils will need to be turned off and wait for the ice to melt. Anyone who has a RV and with a lot of Open & Closing of the doors would fully understand what I am talking about. Now couple that up with a lot of slamming doors with the suction effect. Will be interesting to see how this goes, but this I am sure has been discussed somewhere on Celebrity's message boards before.