ICON CLASS UPDATE

2 hours ago, LSUWAG said:

Now reports coming out that Icon may be larger than Oasis.  They even quote @MAT the blog in the article.  Interesting...

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/royal-caribbeans-icon-of-the-seas-to-be-bigger-than-oasis-class

WOW!!! Bigger than Oasis Class....that is incredible!!

12 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

This is shocking in a good way.

I was expecting Utopia to be the largest cruise ship in Royals fleet now we find out now we find out that instead of Icon fitting between Quantum class and Oasis Class, Icon Class will now be the largest class in the fleet.

AND it looks like passenger load will be even less than the O class so hopefully not overly crowded.  My concern was that “biggest” can mean a lot of things, including passenger count.  Glad to hear that’s NOT the way it will be “bigger”.

16 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

AND it looks like passenger load will be even less than the O class so hopefully not overly crowded.  My concern was that “biggest” can mean a lot of things, including passenger count.  Glad to hear that’s NOT the way it will be “bigger”.

It’s going to have the biggest prices onboard.

19 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Until @twangster confirms, I consider this speculation. 
Previous announcements placed Icon displacement numbers as higher than Quantum, lower than Oasis. 

I've been waiting for this news.  I felt there was no way Fain would not go bigger.  It's in his blood.  I was surprised when Icon was said to be between O & Q so I've been biting my tongue all this time.  So for me this is not a surprise at all.

13 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

The 7 night Caribbean release was set for May 16 to list itineraries past April 2024. This release has been postponed until September 12, 2022 and likely to include Icon itineraries.

This was my thought as well since it was included with the deployment schedule for sailings through April 2024.  All the other ships have been deployed through this time period, except for Spectrum (Singapore releases Aug 29) and Serenade.  That September date could just be for Serenade though.

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've been waiting for this news.  I felt there was no way Fain would not go bigger.  It's in his blood.  I was surprised when Icon was said to be between O & Q so I've been biting my tongue all this time.  So for me this is not a surprise at all.

Is it possible that size of Icon is being increased post original design?

Another theory is that Icon size was first downplayed to not pull attention away from Wonder release.

I understand that displacement number used for cruise ship factors internal volume. (Passenger space only?) Would enclosing spaces, originally designed to be open, increase displacement?

In this way Icon would have a higher displacement than Oasis class while being lighter in deadweight tonnage.

A final, albeit less likely scenario, is that the lower energy density of liquefied natural gas compared to diesel, requires a significant storage space which pushes the volume of Icon beyond Oasis class, even though passenger space may not be larger. 

14 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Is it possible that size of Icon is being increased post original design?

Another theory is that Icon size was first downplayed to not pull attention away from Wonder release.

I understand that displacement number used for cruise ship factors internal volume. (Passenger space only?) Would enclosing spaces, originally designed to be open, increase displacement?

In this way Icon would have a higher displacement than Oasis class while being lighter in deadweight tonnage.

A final, albeit less likely scenario, is that the lower energy density of liquefied natural gas compared to diesel, requires a significant storage space which pushes the volume of Icon beyond Oasis class, even though passenger space may not be larger. 

The size of Icon was cast years ago.  The building blocks have been finished for several months now.  The engine block is one of the first built and that's been done for months.

They can't call up the ship yard and make game day changes like this.  The basic framework of the ship has been cast in stone in contracts for years by this point.

Some of the cosmetics may not have been decided years ago.  The decor or color scheme of the cabins for example. Those design elements evolve closer to implementation but the dimensions of the ship were decided years ago. 

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

The size of Icon was cast years ago.  The building blocks have been finished for several months now.  The engine block is one of the first built and that's been done for months.

They can't call up the ship yard and make game day changes like this.  The basic framework of the ship has been cast in stone in contracts for years by this point.

Some of the cosmetics may not have been decided years ago.  The decor or color scheme of the cabins for example. Those design elements evolve closer to implementation but the dimensions of the ship were decided years ago. 

I agree with all of this. My comments above were far fetched ideas for plausibly justifying the updated numbers for Icon displacement.

So the preliminary information released by Royal on the size of Icon (smaller than Oasis class by a significant amount) was accidentally or intentionally incorrect?

56 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

I agree with all of this. My comments above were far fetched ideas for plausibly justifying the updated numbers for Icon displacement.

So the preliminary information released by Royal on the size of Icon (smaller than Oasis class by a significant amount) was accidentally or intentionally incorrect?

More likely someone from the RCL IT team was asked to publish the first numbers ...

Now they checked it again  , but what is 30% here or there 🙂

2 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

The 7 night Caribbean release was set for May 16 to list itineraries past April 2024. This release has been postponed until September 12, 2022 and likely to include Icon itineraries.

That's speculation. Maybe it's right, but there's equally no evidence that is true than it's not. 

Moreover, Royal typically releases new ship itineraries separate from the rest of the fleet.

Personally, I'm not using the date as any indication of anything quite yet.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I don't see the connection that this September release corelates to Icon.

Begins in Fall 2023 when Icon arrives and all other Caribbean based ship deployments up to Winter 2024 have been released for the 2023-24 schedule. Therefore, it would be its own release separate from the rest of the fleet.

Speculation yes, but what other ship would be doing 7 night Caribbean during this period that’s not already released?

8 hours ago, twangster said:

So you knew this whole time and bit your tongue 🤐..  You know how to keep a secret you gave nothing away this whole time. 🙊 

Royal had a lot of people fooled into thinking they wouldn't go larger than Oasis Class and you let us believe it.... I love it LOL 😄