Carnival cancels some sailings into mid-2021 and later

mathbees

• mathbees changed the title to Carnival cancels some sailings into mid-2021 and later

What do you think the deal is with these three ships not starting up until 2022?  

• Carnival Fascination sailings through and including January 9, 2022
  • Carnival Sensation sailings March 3, 2022 and March 7, 2022
  • Carnival Sunrise:
    • Sailings through and including October 19, 2020
    • Miami 7 and 8 day sailings from October 9, 2021 through and including April 30, 2022, excluding the March 5, 2022 sailing
    • Miami 5 day sailing January 3, 2022

Sunrise is the old Triumph that was just refurbed last year and was doing all Caribbean out of Miami.

Fascination was sailing Southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

Sensation was sailing the Caribbean out of Mobile.

24 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

What do you think the deal is with these three ships not starting up until 2022?  

• Carnival Fascination sailings through and including January 9, 2022
  • Carnival Sensation sailings March 3, 2022 and March 7, 2022
  • Carnival Sunrise:
    • Sailings through and including October 19, 2020
    • Miami 7 and 8 day sailings from October 9, 2021 through and including April 30, 2022, excluding the March 5, 2022 sailing
    • Miami 5 day sailing January 3, 2022

Sunrise is the old Triumph that was just refurbed last year and was doing all Caribbean out of Miami.

Fascination was sailing Southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

Sensation was sailing the Caribbean out of Mobile.

• Fascination - scrapped.
  • Sensation - will take over itineraries already scheduled aboard Carnival Fantasy and Fascination.
  • Sunrise - still pending on what Carnival is doing with this one.

2 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:
  • Fascination - scrapped.
  • Sensation - will take over itineraries already scheduled aboard Carnival Fantasy and Fascination.
  • Sunrise - still pending on what Carnival is doing with this one.

Ah, ok.  It seems to me they could have said "Fascination:  All sailings forever".  LOL

Imagination is sitting at anchor at Aliaga, Turkey waiting to join her sister on the beach. 

The cancellations of Magic, Valor, Paradise and Spirit into 2021 appears to be related to required dry dock maintenance scheduled for 2021.  Given their current positions and knowing a restart won't involve all ships at once it's likely the smartest way to play the hand they've been dealt.  It wouldn't make sense to sail empty ships across the Atlantic, do a few cruises at reduced capacity and then take them out of service for their scheduled 2021 dry docks.   With the Freeport floating dry dock out of commision from the Oasis incident last year it's probably easier to find a shipyard in Europe to do the required work in 2021 so keep them over there and take them off the list of restart ships.

Royal kind of did the same when they cancelled Odyssey all the way up to 4/30/21.  While her delivery was impacted by the pandemic it wasn't impacted for that long.  So instead of sailing her empty to American in February or March only to sail back to Europe for the scheduled cruise season in April they just cancelled everything through 4/30/21.  

21 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Has there been any news on when that dock will be repaired?

Based on an SEC filing sometime in 2021 but that might slip due to the pandemic.  With social distancing of workers and potentially the supply chain interrupted all estimates are guesses at best.  A lot of steel comes from China and it isn't flowing normally due to issues caused by the pandemic.  

I'm kind of hoping this is a positive sign, overall.  Rather than a blanket "all cruises postponed until xx/xx/2021," they are staggering and using some logic, well discussed in the responses above (thanks @twangster, @WAAAYTOOO and @princevaliantus).  They've had some time to think things through and actually determine a strategic approach.  That along with the https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/09/15/5-hints-royal-caribbean-group-chairman-has-shared-about-cruises-resuming post @Matt shared a couple of days ago, I can honestly start believing that we'll cruise again.

I am thinking it's time for me to apply the OBC and get the cabana lined up for my March cruise, but I've been holding off trying to see the tea leaves.  Turns out, every cancelled cruise cuts deeper and deeper - so please let's start sailing soon!  I think I'm ready!

Imagine the upside when you board knowing everyone else, 100% of everyone on board, tested negative!  Yay!!!

Personally I'd welcome a biohazard device that worked like a metal detector you walk through.  "I'm sorry sir, you can't bring a knife on the plane"  becomes "I'm sorry sir, you can't bring noro virus on the plane" or "I'm sorry sir, you can't bring the flu on the plane".  

If I'm infected with a viral disease I shouldn't be let on board.  That's a good thing if it is caught.  

Imagine the disappointment you would feel if you learned you inadvertently infected someone and they later died.

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Imagine the disappointment you would feel if you learned you inadvertently infected someone and they later died.

This is a variation of the line we are now saying at work to the customers who loudly complain about having to wear a mask and mock employees for wearing them.....  "Sir, I come in close proximity to hundreds of people every day.  I certainly hope you feel better knowing that my wearing a mask helps protect YOU.  I know I would hate to be responsible for transmitting the virus to someone whose immune system is weak"  <insert big, innocent smile here>

17 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Yup it's a big elephant in the room that no one ever wants to discuss. They all want to get back to cruising but when it's their turn to be tested prior to boarding and then they find out they cannot board despite feeling 'just fine' they will be disappointed that

a) they can't cruise that day after months of logistical planning and being excited and will have to go back to the drawing board to plan the next one when their this close to going in the gangway

b) they have this illness and will need to isolate themselves for two weeks

c) the realization that their not invincible and that this virus is very real and that it just prevented them from boarding despite feeling 'just fine' up to that moment.

If this is how people are learning they carry a viral infection it's probably a good thing they booked a cruise.  Otherwise they would be in their community spreading the disease without ever knowing.  

Once they know they are infected they can stop putting other people at risk, address their health condition in isolation and hopefully recover.

Otherwise it's sort of like saying we should just stop testing people because no one wants to find out they have it.