What will it take when it's "All aboard" ?

Neesa

@Matt latest article started me thinking. What in actuality as per time frame and logistics does it take to start sailing a RCCL ship after this agonizing pause?

Richard Fain states drive to embarkation and shorter itinerary to start, so given those parameters let's just venture Mariner 3 night sailing from PC. 

If the CDC lifts the no sail order and the ships are in warm layup, what type of things need to happen? 

Yikes, my friend Scott over on the DCL blog just notified everyone DCL cancelled their 4 ships sailings all of November and the first 2 weeks of December. 

What is your best guess as to the time it would take after CDC order lift, health panel review, crew back etc, any ideas? LET.US.SAIL!!!

At minimum, have to figure a few weeks to re-hire crew and get the contracts set up and signed, fly them to the initial embarkation port, and then wait the required 2 weeks for quarantine. I imagine they also need time to get new supply (fuel, food, booze) contracts and deliveries scheduled, hopefully workable in parallel with no extra time needed. 

37 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@Matt latest article started me thinking. What in actuality as per time frame and logistics does it take to start sailing a RCCL ship after this agonizing pause?

Richard Fain states drive to embarkation and shorter itinerary to start, so given those parameters let's just venture Mariner 3 night sailing from PC. 

If the CDC lifts the no sail order and the ships are in warm layup, what type of things need to happen? 

Yikes, my friend Scott over on the DCL blog just notified everyone DCL cancelled their 4 ships sailings all of November and the first 2 weeks of December. 

What is your best guess as to the time it would take after CDC order lift, health panel review, crew back etc, any ideas? LET.US.SAIL!!!

From what I understand, RCL hasn't submitted the plan to CDC yet.  I think its tied to the Health Panel report/out brief which is due by month's end.  Once submitted, no guess on how long for approval.  If the panel's been working with the gov't, it could be very quickly.  I suppose all that JL is noting can be done in parallel.

I'm not sure anyone here can answer this question, we just don't know.  

I'm pretty confident though that Royal is running these through these exercises right now, creating a plan and getting ready to implement it as soon as word comes down.

When CDC does finally give approval I'm sure we'll quickly know when the first Royal cruise will be.

45 minutes ago, Jill said:

Broward and Miami-Dade just moved to Phase 2 this past Monday. I would think they’ll have to be at least in Phase 3 if not Phase 4 before cruises can go out of Port Everglades or Port Miami. 

Even more than that, I'm guessing. My thinking on that part is that even if the ports' home state is in phase 3 or 4, there may still be regulations put in place by CDC or state / local government. It could be as extreme as limiting passengers to the port's state, or something like if you are not from the state and need to go there for embarkation, your own state also has to be in the same phase, or else you have to arrive early enough to quarantine for at least 2 weeks. At least in the very beginning.

The cruise lines are going to be beyond paranoid about any kind of outbreak, and after all the effort they've had to put into planning and preparedness, they may refuse to move forward without support from the CDC and/or local governments that puts them both in the same bed. They're already signaling pretty strongly that they've had it with all the BS and slow response after making herculean efforts to meet rushed timelines and rough demands. I would be very surprised if the cruise lines didn't take steps to ensure that, should something bad happen and the press tries to have another field day with "floating petri dishes", that the government agencies they've had to work so hard to appease take just as much heat and go down in the same flames.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

It could be as extreme as limiting passengers to the port's state, or something like if you are not from the state and need to go there for embarkation, your own state also has to be in the same phase, or else you have to arrive early enough to quarantine for at least 2 weeks. At least in the very beginning.

That pretty much says don't cruise for a very long time, unless you live in state with a port.

My state has done a semi-reasonable job.  We could have done better but we never got anywhere close to the positivity/rates/deaths that pretty much all coastal states did.  If we are good then 3 days before a flight to a cruise I find out a local fraternity had another party that resulted in 80 cases that causes us to be rejected by NJ/TX/CA/FL/WA I'm screwed days before my cruise.  Forget that, no cruises until 2023 or 2025 once this thing is hopefully beyond dead and buried.  

It might also be unconstitutional unless passed by Congress.  I don't think the CDC or a President can by them self stop interstate travel.   Each state has some power but even that hasn't passed all legal hurdles to close it borders that I am aware of.  If FL can arbitrarily decide on a whim effective tomorrow no visitors from X state, that pretty much says just don't cruise unless you are a resident.  If a truck driver can't drive into or across a state because they are from X state, that will put a huge hurting on interstate commerce.  

I know Carnival has indicated they only have a small number (6 i think) of ships that they plan to sail in Nov if given approval.

I think if Royal aimed to bring a small number online they could do it much faster, figure you have all the prior crew from all the ships available to recruit three crews out of in a hurry ... chances are good of being able to get the numbers.

The supply chain in terms of food, etc. is probably fairly intact.

I think November is doable if they are moving the pieces now .. but not much longer. Probably 4-6 weeks seems reasonable.

We don't have access to the whole "game plan" for it actually starting, but I think we usually have a good idea of the immediate next steps.

In my opinion, I see two things that need to occur first:

1. End of the No Sail Order
  2. Royal Caribbean submitting their health policies and protocols to the CDC

It may not occur in that order, but those are two tasks that need to be complete before anything else related to cruises restarting can occur.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:
  1. Royal Caribbean submitting their health policies and protocols to the CDC

It seems like this could be done anytime, in anticipation of the No Sail Order being lifted. Although, no one knows for sure what the new rules might be when it's time to cruise again, so it might needed to be tweaked before submission.  

How many of the ship classes have fully integrated the on-board app into their systems - meaning door access, on-board messaging,   etc?  Oasis and Quantum, but any of the smaller classes?  The other aspect that isn't discussed is the ability for the ship security to track users (passenger) position on a ship when the app is active.   Would think during initial restart operations, the ships with the "full up" on-board app interface will be the first to sail under current conditions.  Also, the phone/app combination allows for touch-less access to areas as well as on-board publications such as menus and daily planners.  Also required for Muster 2.0 integration.

18 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Here's some positive news: https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/7919-ncl-norwegian-cruise-line-restart-operations-select-sailings-november-2020

Remember RCL has partnered with NCL on  health panel and protocol development, so hoping for expanded good news.

And i will be making a call to my TA in the next few minutes ?

23 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Here's some positive news: https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/7919-ncl-norwegian-cruise-line-restart-operations-select-sailings-november-2020

Remember RCL has partnered with NCL on  health panel and protocol development, so hoping for expanded good news.

Umm.  It's not like NCL just added a new sailing.  That same article could be written about many cruise lines.  Carnival and Royal Caribbean both have sailings in November they plan to operate as soon as the CDC order expires. 

They all have sailings they plan to operate in November except Disney who cancelled through early December.