First time in SC

CruisnMike35

Hello all,

This is my first post on RC Blog, and I want to start by saying thank you to everyone who has posted so much great information.

My parents and I have booked a 9-night Western Caribbean, on The Anthem of the SEAS, in February of 2022. After what seemed like weeks of research, and a lot of wondering if we were crazy for even thinking about booking a $21K+ vacation for 3. But we decided “what the heck,” and we booked the Royal Loft Suite for our first experience with Star Class.

I am so unbelievably excited, but I would be lying if I said I am not also nervous. My parents are relatively experienced cruisers (diamond plus;) while I have only been on a couple of cruises. We feel like we have scoured the internet in the last couple of weeks searching high and low for everything that we can expect from an SC suite. But we still have a few questions regarding do’s and don’ts while in SC.

1.       I understand that we can have meals served in our suite.

a.       Is it over the top to do this often? Or should we limit this request to one or two occasions?

2.       We are driving to the Port in Beyond NJ. Is there anything special for embarkation day aside from the Genie meeting us? Or is it just a follow the signs situation?

3.       Are gratuities truly complimentary?

a.       I know the Genie is not included but should we plan to tips others as well?

4.       Should we book anything in advance of the Genie contacting us. Or should we wait for everything until our Genie checks in with us?

a.       IE: Cabana’s at Labadee, Shows, other excursions, etc.?

5.       The normal ultimate beverage package does not include the mini bar drinks. Is this the case in SC. What about the ultimate dining package? Is there anything different in SC?

6.       What other do’s and don’ts can you guys think of? I know there are a lot of do’s, but please let me know what we should avoid. We want to get the most out of this experience, but we don’t want to be to needy or a PITA.

I’m sure I will have more questions over the next 18 months but for now that’s about it. Thanks again for any insight you can give.

P.S.

I am contemplating Blogging or Vlogging this experience, but I have never blogged. Any suggestions or tips?

Congratulations, Mike.  You have made an excellent choice.  Star Class on Anthem is very special.  You have priority access to many unique actives and events.

1.  In-suite dining from the specialty restaurants (or the MDR or Coastal Kitchen) is a unique experience that only Star Class enjoys (specialty, that is).  Take advantage of it as often as you like.  You’re paying for that privilege.  Enjoy it.  

Speaking of “paying”, I think you got a GREAT deal, if you are paying $21K for 9 nights in the RLS.  Waaay to go !

2.  My best advice to you, regarding arrival at the port is the same as I give to every new SC passenger. DO NOT SURRENDER YOUR LUGGAGE to ANYone except the SC greeter !  It can be difficult to accomplish. Everyone will be trying to grab your luggage from you but ignore them and go straight to the purple Star Class banner. Even after you get there, someone will most likely try and take your bags, claiming that they are SC porters.  IGNORE them all.  The greeter will give you directions once you check in.  Make sure your Genie is aware, ahead of time, that you expect your luggage to be taken upstairs.  If you don’t do that, your luggage will be left downstairs and it is a lot of work to lug them up those stairs. Unfortunately, the suites waiting area at Bayonne is pretty lame, but your Genie will be down to meet you and take you onboard within a few minutes.

3.  The gratuities are included except for the Genie, as you already noted.  Whether or not you tip in addition to that is entirely a personal choice.  We always tip our room attendants (you will have at least 2) and we always tip for meals but it is a personal choice to do so.  It is pretty much expected that anything delivered to your suite is worthy of an appreciation (tip).

4.  Book nothing in advance. Trust me on this one.  The only exception to this would be a cabana at Coco Cay, since the Genies no longer control those, but for Labadee, your Genie will have priority access to cabanas.  You’ll be fine.  If there are any excursions that you really want, I would reserve those in advance just to prevent them from selling out.  It’s rare, but it does happen. For dining, shows and other events...no need.  Your Genie will take care of it for you.  I promise.

5.  Star Class has a super DBP.  It includes everything that the normal drink package includes plus unlimited water, soft drinks, juice and beer in your suite.  You can get as much as you want delivered and replenished.  Wine costs extra and <bottled> hard liquor is very limited.  Interestingly, you can have hard liquor drinks delivered to your suite but they strongly discourage bottles of liquor.  I can be done but it’s not easy and it’s not cheap. The big difference for the UDP is the fact that for SC, it includes all of the “add-ons” that are usually up charges, such as the lobster at Chops.  ...and then of course, the fact that you can have specialty dining delivered to your suite.  If you choose to do Chef's Table (and I highly recommend it), there is a $25 PP charge for the upgraded wines.  Other than that, it’s all included.

More later...

11 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I was thinking they were cruising out of South Carolina which made me think Royal was opening a new port.  Charleston, SC might be nice because of family nearby.

I can get to the terminal in about 12 minutes.  But there is no way RC will ever have any kind of presence here - the blue bloods already hate that Carnival is based here.  The city and cruise line want a nicer terminal, but it would have to be moved up the river, away from the big money folks (aka Twangsterites).    I so wish RC would port here so I could cruise more, but I'm not unhappy with the 6 hour drive to Port Canaveral.

@CruisnMike35 Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first Star Class booking!

3 hours ago, CruisnMike35 said:

a.       Is it over the top to do this often? Or should we limit this request to one or two occasions?

Not over the top at all.  You can have every meal in your suite if you want.  Just keep in mind that different ships have different rules with that.  Some will let you order from only one restaurant at a time.  Some will let you order from everywhere at once.  It all depends.  But most definitely take advantage of in room dining.  We like to do it for breakfast or lunch.  As hard as they try, the meals are not as hot as when you dine in the restaurant so we still like to have dinner in the restaurants.  One of these days, we will attempt to watch the sunset over dinner on our balcony lol.

2.       We are driving to the Port in Beyond NJ. Is there anything special for embarkation day aside from the Genie meeting us? Or is it just a follow the signs situation?

Follow everything @WAAAYTOOO says on this one.  

3.       Are gratuities truly complimentary?

a.       I know the Genie is not included but should we plan to tips others as well?

As already mentioned, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it is a totally personal choice.  That being said, with star class, there are a lot of people who interact with you that you might want to show appreciation to.  In addition to the regulars (bartenders, room service delivery, etc.) that we tip, we also tip the Genie and both loft attendants.  The lofts have two usually.  Where you can skip out might be the Suite concierge if you don't really interact with him/her.  The Genie usually takes the place of that.  However, if you do interact with them or use their assistance, you might want to tip them as well.

4.       Should we book anything in advance of the Genie contacting us. Or should we wait for everything until our Genie checks in with us?

a.       IE: Cabana’s at Labadee, Shows, other excursions, etc.?

Cabanas in Coco Cay (if you are going there) and if there is a shore excursion that you have your heart set on, book that first on your own.  Shows, dining, and board ship activities, no need at all to book early.  Your Genie will get you in.

he normal ultimate beverage package does not include the mini bar drinks. Is this the case in SC.

The drinks in your cabin mini bar are included because they are stocked specifically for you by your genie and suite attendant.  Prior to sailing, your genie will reach out and ask what you want the fridge stocked with.  They have a list for you to choose from, all of which is included.

What other do’s and don’ts can you guys think of? I know there are a lot of do’s, but please let me know what we should avoid. We want to get the most out of this experience, but we don’t want to be to needy or a PITA.

My best piece of advice is to make the most of your star class vacation but keeping in mind that each ship/genie is different and that is part of the fun.  It is so easy to fall into the trap of being super excited and reading everyone else's SC experience and then being disappointed because yours is not like theirs.  Keep an open mind, allow the Genie some room to surprise you, and be open in communicating with your Genie and you will have a fantastic time!  You ask if it is worth it, it most definitely is!!!  I promise you, you will not want to cruise any other way after that!

I blogged our first SC trip on Harmony.  There is quite a bit of info and literature if you are interested.  It's here.

Don't be afraid to think out of the box.  For instance, if you wanted to have food delivered to your party while you are at Vintages - you can do that.  Your Genie will need advance notice for such a thing but it can be done.

Officially, you can only have food delivery from one specialty restaurant at the time.  So, if you are having surf and turf from Chops delivered to your suite, you would not expect to also order lasagna for someone from Jamie's.  Would they do it if you asked ?  Probably....but it's quite a lot of coordination to deal with multiple restaurants for delivery at the same time and so they generally ask you to stick to 1 restaurant at the time.

Don't be afraid to ask the Genie to coordinate a party for you !!  Again...advance notice required, but if you want to have some of your new best friends over for drinks and a snack, they will do that.  The thing to remember is....they don't care who is visiting and/or participating in your events.    I've had as many as 50 people over during a cabin crawl and the Genie arranged food and drinks for everyone.

The Genie does not stay at your events and help or participate.  They do not serve.  The coordinate and supervise.  That's it.  They will arrange for room service to bring everything, including glasses, plates, napkins, silverware, food, drinks and they will make sure everything is cleaned up.  It's up to you to tip the folks when they bring deliveries and come to clean up.

Back to emarkbation day.  Some people like to have a special snack delivered on boarding day.  They can do that...but generally, it is too much to ask for a full meal to be delivered at boarding.  Later, once the restaurants have opened ?  Absolutely...but it's not really possible to have a full meal delivered when the restaurants are not in full operation.  The "rule of thumb" for food delivery...you can have anything delivered to your suite from any restaurant that is open.  In other words, don't expect lobster at midnight.

IMO, the best meals to have delivered are breakfast.  Dinner is great, but I prefer eating big meals at the restaurants.  There's something about having breakfast outside that is so special.  

Regarding room service of ANY kind (even if you're not Star Class) ask for EVERYthing that you want.  They will bring you exactly what you ask for.  If you want grape jelly, be sure and tell them that.  Butter for your bread ?  Yep....have to ask for that.  Bread with your meal ?  They will not automatically bring it unless you ask for it.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The thing to remember is....they don't care who is visiting and/or participating in your events.    I've had as many as 50 people over during a cabin crawl and the Genie arranged food and drinks for everyone.

I have wondered several times now if Covid will change that...thinking for our August cruise together...

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The Genie does not stay at your events and help or participate. 

Unless you get an awesome Genie by the name of Shane.  On the RCBlog Group Cruise last year on Anthem, there were many of us in @betatke1480's suite on Anthem, and Shane was there right along with us.  He even made little menu cards etc.  When you think of above and beyond Genie, that was him.  I sure hope to run into him again one day.

Welcome to the boards @CruisnMike35and congratulations on your first star class sailing! Our first star class was on Anthem so I know you will love it! You are already off to a great start by joining this community; so much knowledge and generosity from such a passionate group of cruisers! You may be interested in my Blog as it was from the perspective of a first time star class/royal cruiser.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/16651-first-time-star-class-8-night-holiday-bahamas-cruise-anthem-122019/ 

I received some excellent advice from a member of this forum; the star class program basics are consistent ship to ship and genie to genie but the experiences you read about from guests are unique to genies and/or ships. To avoid disappointment be sure to communicate well with your genie and make the experience the best it can be for you and your family irrespective of what others experience was.  

OH MY GOODNESS, thank you so much for the responses!!!!! I wont have time to review them all before going to work, but what i have gone through is more than i could have ever hoped for in such short order more conversations to come....

So excited, not sure how i'm going to make it  514 days. 

You guys are amazing, thank you. 

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Regarding room service of ANY kind (even if you're not Star Class) ask for EVERYthing that you want.  They will bring you exactly what you ask for.  If you want grape jelly, be sure and tell them that.  Butter for your bread ?  Yep....have to ask for that.  Bread with your meal ?  They will not automatically bring it unless you ask for it.

We made this rookie mistake ?‍♀️ but quickly caught on and listed absolutely everything we wanted including quantities. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Oh and @CruisnMike35, no one has said it yet, but of the most important things to remember is that "Star Class Food Coma" is a real condition.  Eat wisely. lol

So true....I never knew hubby to lose a food challenge but he met his match with the seafood tower. He couldn’t do it on the final night at Chops. LOL 

19 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

1.  In-suite dining from the specialty restaurants (or the MDR or Coastal Kitchen) is a unique experience that only Star Class enjoys (specialty, that is).  Take advantage of it as often as you like.  You’re paying for that privilege.  Enjoy it.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am a bit of a foodie, and the food is probably the thing I am most looking forward to.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have you heard of any BTS tours for a person who loves to cook and eat great food?

2.  My best advice to you, regarding arrival at the port is the same as I give to every new SC passenger. DO NOT SURRENDER YOUR LUGGAGE to ANYone except the SC greeter !  It can be difficult to accomplish. Everyone will be trying to grab your luggage from you but ignore them and go straight to the purple Star Class banner. Even after you get there, someone will most likely try and take your bags, claiming that they are SC porters.  IGNORE them all.  The greeter will give you directions once you check in.  Make sure your Genie is aware, ahead of time, that you expect your luggage to be taken upstairs.  If you don’t do that, your luggage will be left downstairs and it is a lot of work to lug them up those stairs. Unfortunately, the suites waiting area at Bayonne is pretty lame, but your Genie will be down to meet you and take you onboard within a few minutes.

Thank you for the luggage advice, that makes a lot of sense, and not having to wait for our luggage to be brought to our suite will be nice.

One other question about port. Does anyone know how close the walk is from the parking garage or other parking area to the suite gate? I am wondering if we will be better off dropping my parents close to the gate while I go park. But if it is only a short walk we will probably just stick together.

3.  The gratuities are included except for the Genie, as you already noted.  Whether or not you tip in addition to that is entirely a personal choice.  We always tip our room attendants (you will have at least 2) and we always tip for meals but it is a personal choice to do so.  It is pretty much expected that anything delivered to your suite is worthy of an appreciation (tip).

Thanks for the info on the gratuities, we will add extra $ into the budget.

4.  Book nothing in advance. Trust me on this one.  The only exception to this would be a cabana at Coco Cay, since the Genies no longer control those, but for Labadee, your Genie will have priority access to cabanas.  You’ll be fine.  If there are any excursions that you really want, I would reserve those in advance just to prevent them from selling out.  It’s rare, but it does happen. For dining, shows and other events...no need.  Your Genie will take care of it for you.  I promise.

Great!!! We have not made any decisions on excursions. Our Ports of call are Labadee, San Juan, and St. Maarten.

What are some of the RC Blog favorites in these Ports?

We are planning to get a cabana in Labadee. Do you guys have any pros or cons for the different types? Over water, beach, or hill side?

20 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

5.  Star Class has a super DBP.  It includes everything that the normal drink package includes plus unlimited water, soft drinks, juice and beer in your suite.  You can get as much as you want delivered and replenished.  Wine costs extra and <bottled> hard liquor is very limited.  Interestingly, you can have hard liquor drinks delivered to your suite but they strongly discourage bottles of liquor.  I can be done but it’s not easy and it’s not cheap. The big difference for the UDP is the fact that for SC, it includes all of the “add-ons” that are usually up charges, such as the lobster at Chops.  ...and then of course, the fact that you can have specialty dining delivered to your suite.  If you choose to do Chef's Table (and I highly recommend it), there is a $25 PP charge for the upgraded wines.  Other than that, it’s all included.

As is said I am a foodie so there will probably be many more questions on this topic as we get closer.

It sounds like we can have any drinks delivered to our suite. Is this done through the genie? I will definitely be doing the Chef’s Table. Also, I plan to eat at Wonderland, though I have read that many, including some on RC Blog, believe it is a little overrated. Is this the consensus?

What are the favorite restaurants?

Are the main dining rooms even worth trying due to all of the specialty options?

6 hours ago, CruisnMike35 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have you heard of any BTS tours for a person who loves to cook and eat great food?

The galley tour is complimentary with SC.  Cupcake, Sushi, and Guacamole (not sure if Anthem has this one) making classes are also included.  Not sure how all this will be affected by Covid though.

We are planning to get a cabana in Labadee. Do you guys have any pros or cons for the different types? Over water, beach, or hill side?

Depends what you want, who is in your party, and if mobility is an issue.

Over the water pros - Awesome, more private, and best views (OTW 5 is my favourite, that's the one we had in my blog that I linked earlier).

Over the water cons - Most expensive

Hillside pros - private

Hillside cons - not near water, can be far from food, must be able to climb stairs to get there

Beachfront pros - great for families with small children, only two of these and they are direction on the beach, no obstruction between the cabana and the water's edge

Beachfront cons - not much privacy and also very expensive.

Standard cabana pros - lowest price, can be very close to food and bar

Standard cabana cons - far from water, not much of a view, some are right along the walkway so not very private

And yes, your Genie can reserve a specific cabana for you.  Just let them know in their initial email which one you want.

It sounds like we can have any drinks delivered to our suite. Is this done through the genie?

Yes, as @WAAAYTOOO mentioned, they won't deliver hard liquor, but other just ask your genie.  We have had all sorts of cocktails delivered before dinner, margaritas for lunch, mimosas for breakfast, etc.  When you sail SC, always go through your Genie for food/drink orders.  It will be way faster than regular room service. ?

Since you are sailing Anthem, I would say, try them all.  I personally have favourites at every restaurant.  Don't forget filet night in Coastal Kitchen!  It is by far the best one and the Anthem has the best CK as far as service goes.  And IMO, I would without a doubt skip the MDR with SC. lol  But then I am an unashamed suite snob so that's my disclaimer.  But honestly, the way I see it is that with Ultimate Dining, why not explore those specialty options.  You can eat in the MDR on a non-SC sailing.  And if there is a specific menu item from the MDR that you really want, just ask your Genie to have it delivered to wherever you are eating (advance notice of course).  If you ask nicely, they usually don't mind.  I've done it several times.

This is where your Genie can be a real asset.  My guess is, before COVID, the Genie could definitely have put a special tour together for you.  We got a private tour of the Central Park garden with the man who created the concept and has "installed" every Central Park on every Oasis class ship (Laszlo Turos).  It was amazing.  The problem might be that, due to COVID restrictions, you  may not be able to.  It would be a shame.  This is the kind of thing Genies are best at.

We have had all of the varieties of cabanas at Labadee except for the hilltop ones.  While the over-the-water cabanas are very nice, I think, for the price, the ones that are on the beach are a better value.  I think we've had B1 and B2.  I don't know if you have any true beach bunnies in your crowd, but I will warn you that I found the water to be too cool to swim in February.  If you are a very hearty group and will be spending a lot of time in the water regardless of water temp, then going for the pricey cabana may be worth it to you.  All we ever did in our cabanas was sleep....so we don't get them anymore !  It's a great experience and I recommend you do it at least once.  You can then determine whether it was worth the money or not.

It sounds like we can have any drinks delivered to our suite. Is this done through the genie?

The Genie will notify you approximately 1 month prior to sailing.  At that time, you will tell your Genie what to stock in your room.  Once you get on the ship, there is a beverage guy who comes around daily to check your beverage supply and ask you if you want anything different from what you've got and have been getting.  They are very diligent.

some on RC Blog, believe it is a little overrated. Is this the consensus?

I am a Wonderland hater....so I cannot give you any positive feedback on that restaurant.  I thought the food was horrible but the experience is very different.  Many people rave about the food.  I found it to be so bizarre that I couldn't enjoy it even if I had found it tasteful, which I did not.  I hope you have a better experience.

Are the main dining rooms even worth trying due to all of the specialty options?

I think most SC customers stick with the specialties, but with a 9 night itinerary it might be fun for you to try the MDR.  If there is a specific menu that you particularly enjoy (for instance, Dan loves the lamb shank and never misses it) then you could either go to the MDR or have it delivered either to your suite or to whichever specialty restaurant you happen to be going to that night.  If you choose to have something from the MDR served in one of the specialty restaurants, it is helpful to let the restaurant know that in advance.  If you order from the MDR, someone has to go and fetch that item from the MDR kitchen....and if they know in advance that they need to do that, they can be prepared.

8 hours ago, CruisnMike35 said:

We loved the specialty dining on the Anthem but Chops was a favourite of ours. We love our Alberta Beef and Chops didn’t disappoint! Hubby and son loved Izumi. We tried all the specialty restaurants except Wonderland as that just isn’t our thing. We did not try MDR as I am a bit of a suite snob as well. LOL  Don’t forget about the Dog House as they have fantastic hotdogs. ? It’s easy to miss if you don’t spend much time at the Sea Plex. 

This will come down to personal preference and budget but we went with the OTW cabana. We like privacy and were fine with the up charge in price. The beachfront cabanas are less private but may be a great option if you have little ones that want to play in the sand. The hilltop cabanas were a hard no for fear of critters! ? ? Pretty sure our concierge attendant at Disney’s island still remembers my scream when a gecko wanted to share our cabana! LOL. 

The ship tour on cruise planner is not included in SC but I think the genie can arrange a galley tour.  Cupcakes, sushi and guacamole classes on cruise planner are included in SC. You can arrange through your genie. And don’t forget about the bridge tour if this is something you are interested in.  We loved the bridge tour.  

6 hours ago, Jax said:

We loved the specialty dining on the Anthem but Chops was a favourite of ours. We love our Alberta Beef and Chops didn’t disappoint! Hubby and son loved Izumi. We tried all the specialty restaurants except Wonderland as that just isn’t our thing. We did not try MDR as I am a bit of a suite snob as well. LOL  Don’t forget about the Dog House as they have fantastic hotdogs. ? It’s easy to miss if you don’t spend much time at the Sea Plex. 

Thanks Jax, im really looking forward to Chops as well, i can already hear the Tower Calling my name. 

6 hours ago, Jax said:

This will come down to personal preference and budget but we went with the OTW cabana. We like privacy and were fine with the up charge in price. The beachfront cabanas are less private but may be a great option if you have little ones that want to play in the sand. The hilltop cabanas were a hard no for fear of critters! ? ? Pretty sure our concierge attendant at Disney’s island still remembers my scream when a gecko wanted to share our cabana! LOL. 

LOL on the gecko, I'm sure it was terrifying. I think we will likely end up getting one of the over water. We will not have any kids with us but will still want direct water access. 

Thanks!!!

Also keep in mind anything special. I am sailing on my 30th wedding anniversary with my maid of honor and her husband. On our anniversary I was planning chops or cp 150 and have our wedding song played by the musicians that play in the park as a surprise for my husband. Not sure if he will remember or not  lol

I have another idea to celebrate my friends birthday as well one night as we are enjoying dinner on our aqua theater balcony. 
My advice is to enjoy everything and come away with many precious memories. 

55 minutes ago, MLH said:

Also keep in mind anything special. I am sailing on my 30th wedding anniversary with my maid of honor and her husband. On our anniversary I was planning chops or cp 150 and have our wedding song played by the musicians that play in the park as a surprise for my husband. Not sure if he will remember or not  lol

I have another idea to celebrate my friends birthday as well one night as we are enjoying dinner on our aqua theater balcony. 
My advice is to enjoy everything and come away with many precious memories. 

Thanks MLH, this is a pseudo-retirement trip for my parents. I'm sure our genie and I can think of somthing special for them; any suggestions would be welcome though. Mom is finishing a 25 year career as a K-12 special needs teacher, Dad is a CPA.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Sorry its been a little while. Life gets in the way sometimes I guess, LOL. ?‍♂️

I was watching the RC Blog Live stream "favorite drinks," and it got me thinking about some questions. 

1. What is the policy / etiquette for standing orders. 

IE: Could we have a standing coffee, mimosa, or bloody marry order in the AM with breakfast? Or can I ask for the Drink of the Day at lunch, and just have it delivered                  to the suite everyday? Or are standing orders frowned upon, and we should just order the items we want when we want them?

2. Also, I have read on other threads that some have had snacks, such as veggie trays, chocolates, and other snack type items waiting in the suite on embarkation day. So i have a couple questions. (assuming this is true)

a. Do assorted snacks delivered to our suite continue throughout the entire sailing? Or should we plan to order them when we want them? 

(I could see how standing orders, or orders that weren't requested, could be very wasteful. So I understand why they wouldn't do it; but also, if its done well it                          could be a really cool and luxurious amenity for a luxury trip.)

b. How do we actually order drinks / snacks to the suite? Do we call the room service number / use the TV? Do we call one of the restaurants or bars directly? Do we call the Genie with every little thing we would like?

Thanks again. 

PS. Please, if at any point, my questions make me sound like we would be asking for too much let me know. My family is typically very self reliant and this is a departure from our norm. I might not be familiar with what is acceptable and what might be considered over the top. I am having to use my imagination a lot and that can be scary some times. LOL. Thanks as always. 

PPS. I have decided that I will be doing some kind of VLOG or BLOG for this trip. I have never Vlogged or Blogged, and I am kind of terrified ? about how it will turn out. But I want to both document this trip, as well as try and give back to the RC Blog community. Anyone with more experience Bloggling or Vlogging please feel free to give advice. I am as new as it gets. 

4 hours ago, CruisnMike35 said:

Hey all,

Sorry its been a little while. Life gets in the way sometimes I guess, LOL. ?‍♂️

I was watching the RC Blog Live stream "favorite drinks," and it got me thinking about some questions. 

IE: Could we have a standing coffee, mimosa, or bloody marry order in the AM with breakfast? Or can I ask for the Drink of the Day at lunch, and just have it delivered                  to the suite everyday? Or are standing orders frowned upon, and we should just order the items we want when we want them?

Yes to standing orders.  The Drink of the Day may be not as easy.  We did have Starbucks delivered every morning on Harmony but were not allowed on Oasis,

2. Also, I have read on other threads that some have had snacks, such as veggie trays, chocolates, and other snack type items waiting in the suite on embarkation day. So i have a couple questions. (assuming this is true)

a. Do assorted snacks delivered to our suite continue throughout the entire sailing? Or should we plan to order them when we want them? 

(I could see how standing orders, or orders that weren't requested, could be very wasteful. So I understand why they wouldn't do it; but also, if its done well it                          could be a really cool and luxurious amenity for a luxury trip.)

There are always a sushi and canape in the cabin.  Sometimes they show up, but you never know when.  We had standing orders everyday and ended up wasting a lot.  I would give the genie a heads up the morning or evening before versus standing based on your acitivites for the day.

b. How do we actually order drinks / snacks to the suite? Do we call the room service number / use the TV? Do we call one of the restaurants or bars directly? Do we call the Genie with every little thing we would like?

I would have every thing go through the genie.  They know the order takers and can stress the importance rather than ordering yourself and waiting a very long time.  

Thanks again. 

PS. Please, if at any point, my questions make me sound like we would be asking for too much let me know. My family is typically very self reliant and this is a departure from our norm. I might not be familiar with what is acceptable and what might be considered over the top. I am having to use my imagination a lot and that can be scary some times. LOL. Thanks as always. 

PPS. I have decided that I will be doing some kind of VLOG or BLOG for this trip. I have never Vlogged or Blogged, and I am kind of terrified ? about how it will turn out. But I want to both document this trip, as well as try and give back to the RC Blog community. Anyone with more experience Bloggling or Vlogging please feel free to give advice. I am as new as it gets. 

7 hours ago, CruisnMike35 said:

Standing orders are fine.  It is easier to note this in an email to the Genie.

I cannot stress how much each Genie is different.  Be very careful while reading about the experience of others.  Make sure that you give your Genie space to act creatively as well.  Most Genies to send random snacks throughout the sailing but they can also be requested or denied (meaning just ask your Genie not to send them anymore) if you are not using them.  I have said it before, and I say it again.  SC is food overload.  The idea of snacks delivered each day seems awesome at first, by the middle of the cruise, you might be turning them away lol.

How do we actually order drinks / snacks to the suite? Do we call the room service number / use the TV?

DO NOT CALL ROOM SERVICE IF YOU ARE SAILING SC!  You could, but it is way faster calling or messaging your Genie.  And the Genies will tell you that as well.  They will arrange for food to be delivered from restaurants as well.

Anyone with more experience Bloggling or Vlogging please feel free to give advice.

Here's my #1 tip for blogging while sailing SC.  You might have good intentions, but sailing SC is busy lol.  I would try to blog, but take time to soak in all the experiences and moments that only the SC experience offers.  Don't miss it all because you are trying to blog/vlog.  It is truly a very unique sailing.  Take the time to enjoy it as well.

I agree with @MLH.  I have found the only reliable (and easy) way to get orders is via the Genie.  It has been my experience that the room service number is useless.  I am almost never able to get through.  

Also concur that standing orders - particularly for Starbucks In the morning - is ship-dependent.  Some will, some won’t.  

I almost always have to tell the Genie to STOP bringing food.  We can never eat everything they bring and I hate wasting. If there’s something you know you want and will eat, bring it on !  But unsolicited random food deliveries are rarely consumed by us.

The arrival day snack is standard.  Let the Genie know beforehand what you want and they will get it if they can. Just keep in mind that most of the specialty restaurants are closed during boarding hours so extensive specialty restaurant items will probably not be possible.

Do assorted snacks delivered to our suite continue throughout the entire sailing? Or should we plan to order them when we want them? 

? agree with @Lovetocruise2002on this.  The food coma is real! It will come down to personal preference and how much time you spend in your stateroom.  We stopped all food and beverage deliveries by day 3 of our cruise.  We would return to a table full of watered down drinks and felt it was wasteful. We didn’t want to handcuff our genie’s creativity so we limited snack deliveries to those on our questionnaire and agreed to message drink requests when we knew we would be in our stateroom to receive them.  Balancing the food overload is real! So pick your food choices wisely. LOL 

How do we actually order drinks / snacks to the suite? Do we call the room service number / use the TV? Do we call one of the restaurants or bars directly? Do we call the Genie with every little thing we would like?

Do not call room service; call or message your genie. Be sure to include absolutely everything you want with your order including condiments and quantities.  Do not assume they will include the basics such as condiments because in our experience they did not. 

I have decided that I will be doing some kind of VLOG or BLOG for this trip. I have never Vlogged or Blogged, and I am kind of terrified ? about how it will turn out. But I want to both document this trip, as well as try and give back to the RC Blog community. Anyone with more experience Bloggling or Vlogging please feel free to give advice. I am as new as it gets. 

I blogged on our first cruise with Royal and it was star class so definitely still new at this but agree with @Lovetocruise2002.  As first time cruisers plus star class we wanted to do a lot of the ship board experiences and as a result were on the go a lot. If you blog my advice is to find a balance that works for you that still allows you to enjoy the SC experience.