Costa Maya beach...

kittysoul

hey everyone! :)   I booked the Glass Bottom Boat Tour for this Costa Maya Stop, since it was short and seemed like it would be easy and non -stressful.  My question is, if we do the boat for an hour , early in the morning, is there a beach that we can hang out on after that, near the port... like walking distance, without booking any other excursions or having to travel?  Thanks for the help! 

11 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Hmm - its a way off but, independent  touring at a port might be at risk even in August (- if things don't change, may need to stick to cruise line sponsored excursions).  Yes small areas, but the better beaches down the road (protected by reefs).

oh we had to change our date to May 22... i need to change that...  the glass bottom boat excursion i booked is one of the RC ones on the cruise planner.. was just wondering if there were things we could do at the port area around the ship, once we got back... without having to do another excurion... if not, we might just get back on the ship early...

20 hours ago, kittysoul said:

oh we had to change our date to May 22... i need to change that...  the glass bottom boat excursion i booked is one of the RC ones on the cruise planner.. was just wondering if there were things we could do at the port area around the ship, once we got back... without having to do another excurion... if not, we might just get back on the ship early...

If the isolation rules are still in place (and they haven't been announced, except on some European cruises like MSC),  the cruise line will need to control your point-to-point movement when off the ship.  If the isolation concerns expire, there shouldn't be an issue.   Really need to wait for the Health Panel report/recommendations at the end of this month.   That will provide ground truth on at least the restrictions if put in place.

There isn't a beach right at the port, just a really nice pool that you can use.  If you want to visit a beach, you can take the tram out to the boardwalk at Mahahual and visit one of the places along the boardwalk to rent chairs and hang out at the beach.  The tram is $4/person and then you catch a cab back to the port.  That may or may not be an option for you with any potential new restrictions.

However the port area in Costa Maya is pretty massive and there is a lot explore.  There is shopping and some cultural displays and some for-a-fee items like the aviary and chocolate making demo.  It's almost like what you would expect of a Disney-fied pavilion at EPCOT to be.  

• 2 years later...