Beverage Package Spreadsheet

JT2

Simple spreadsheet, go to the number of days you will be cruising on the tabs at the bottom, change the cost of the deluxe and refreshment package to what yours is. Go down and approximate (don't be stingy) how many of each type drink you would have each day, this will vary for most due to port/at sea or private island.
After you've done this it will tell you how much you would save with the package.
I think my pricing of drinks is still right, let me know if I'm off.
Hope this helps!

Beverage Package Comparison 3-8day.xlsx

4 minutes ago, JT2 said:

Simple spreadsheet, go to the number of days you will be cruising on the tabs at the bottom, change the cost of the deluxe and refreshment package to what yours is. Go down and approximate (don't be stingy) how many of each type drink you would have each day, this will vary for most due to port/at sea or private island.
After you've done this it will tell you how much you would save with the package.
Hope this helps!

Beverage Package Comparison 3-8day.xlsxUnavailable

Any change on how the sheet is handling embarkation day? Looking like there will be four or more fewer hours onboard for the time being, with check in times starting at 2:30. 

31 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Any change on how the sheet is handling embarkation day? Looking like there will be four or more fewer hours onboard for the time being, with check in times starting at 2:30. 

I accept the challenge!! I am pretty sure I can still make it work, lol ?

54 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I doubt they will charge any less for that day so the spreadsheet would still hold true.

1 hour ago, JT2 said:

Hope this helps!

Beverage Package Comparison 3-8day.xlsx 451.39 kB · 11 downloads

Great spreadsheet! Thanks for sharing!

Not sure of the creator, but a similar web-based tool can be found here: https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=9tts3&fbclid=IwAR2rN17vx_4Vk0_pG--Dvy173K63MTb3PeWsVEeQx37zzbJfOTAxIowZbfk#/

2 minutes ago, chodnett said:

Great spreadsheet! Thanks for sharing!

Not sure of the creator, but a similar web-based tool can be found here: https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=9tts3&fbclid=IwAR2rN17vx_4Vk0_pG--Dvy173K63MTb3PeWsVEeQx37zzbJfOTAxIowZbfk#/

I hadn't seen that site before, looks great and will have to try it out. I actually found the basis for the one I uploaded on a FB group but it was for a 4 day cruise so just adjusted the tabs for the different amount of days. 

Whatever is needed to help us make wise drinking choices!!

1 hour ago, JT2 said:

I doubt they will charge any less for that day so the spreadsheet would still hold true.

Wasn’t thinking of changes in the dollar cost of the package. Was more thinking of a lower number of drinks for the first day with the reduced hours of opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Wasn’t thinking of changes in the dollar cost of the package. Was more thinking of a lower number of drinks for the first day with the reduced hours of opportunity. 

Oh, well it's up to whoever is using it to figure out how much they will drink a day, there is no preset on that. All those fields are set at 0.

The first day limited hours thingy is an easy fix...just knock down a few brewskies with a side of Jameson and you'll be good to go.

51 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

?

2 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

The first day limited hours thingy is an easy fix...just knock down a few brewskies with a side of Jameson and you'll be good to go.

?

I'm a craft beer enthusiast.

But when I sail with the beverage package, it's all liquor, all the time.   

The craft selection onboard is awful, so it's a no-brainer to me.  However, 

I am looking forward to trying the Funky Buddha collab when we get to Coco Cay on 11/30!

35 minutes ago, Ray said:

Being Scottish i tried to work out how many drinks i could have had in the time it took to create the spreadsheet ????

Yup, I started to fill it out and just realized the answer is "yes, oh dear god why are you even bothering to check".  I just need to get a cocktail version of this for easy mask wearing and drinking and I'll be set.

rclbar.jpg

8 hours ago, JT2 said:

Hope this helps!

Beverage Package Comparison 3-8day.xlsx 451.39 kB · 35 downloads

Nice! - Thanks

17 hours ago, Floski said:

I'm a craft beer enthusiast.

But when I sail with the beverage package, it's all liquor, all the time.   

The craft selection onboard is awful, so it's a no-brainer to me.  However, 

I am looking forward to trying the Funky Buddha collab when we get to Coco Cay on 11/30!

We like our craft beer as well...Blue Moon is typically the least worst option for a poolside brewsky. We also will drink a Carib while visiting some of the islands during the day.

On our latest cruise on Navigator in Feb, I tracked how much value we obtained from the drinks package. Simply a check mark on a notes page in my cellphone:

I estimated drink cost at $13.00 each, and please remember, there were two of us, not just me. ? Also, I did not track soft drinks

• Mon 02/17/2020 - 14 x 13 = $182.00
  • Tue  02/18/2020 - 16 x 13 = $208
  • Wed 02/19/2020 - 20 x 13 = $260.00
  • Thu 02/20/2020 - 8 x 13 = $104

Running total $754

Package cost $432

Benefit $322.00

New to the boards but I have a tip question.

What is the general feeling about adding an additional tip to the receipt if you have the full drink package?  Since 18% is already calculated in is an additional something expected or no?  

Is the guy or gal that does not add something more ignored for the rest of the day?

16 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

New to the boards but I have a tip question.

What is the general feeling about adding an additional tip to the receipt if you have the full drink package?  Since 18% is already calculated in is an additional something expected or no?  

Is the guy or gal that does not add something more ignored for the rest of the day?

I always bring along some small bills and tip often. While the 18% is spread out to all the staff, showing extra appreciation at a point of service pays just seems like the right thing to do with all that those folks have to do for relatively low pay. Never gotten bad service when I didn't tip but, if you do, it is noticed and feel like you get even better service. 

5 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Tipping spoils the market. We already pay prepaid gratuities.  No difference whatsoever. Of course when one TIPS they think they see a difference but it's always subjective. I've tipped twice when I first started cruising. No differences. But if people have cash to spend on Star Class and UP then sure it's good. But otherwise most of us average folks who stick with Inside Oceanview or Balcony then tipping or not is debatable. Tipping seems very Americanized however I dont see people tipping grocery clerks or cashiers. Service is service. Minimum wage there also. 

I didn't say everyone should tip. You are absolutely correct that we've already paid the gratuities and, like you, I notice no less service if I don't. But I do feel good about doing so and I'm sure the staff member feels good about getting it, so no harm. Not sure why you think that "spoils the market". I'm as average folk as you can get, I uploaded a spreadsheet to see if getting the drink package was worth it and balcony is splurging for us.

33 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Tipping spoils the market. We already pay prepaid gratuities.  No difference whatsoever. Of course when one TIPS they think they see a difference but it's always subjective. I've tipped twice when I first started cruising. No differences. But if people have cash to spend on Star Class and UP then sure it's good. But otherwise most of us average folks who stick with Inside Oceanview or Balcony then tipping or not is debatable. Tipping seems very Americanized however I dont see people tipping grocery clerks or cashiers. Service is service. Minimum wage there also. 

I tip with every drink, the bartender's have always blown right by the other people to serve me, even at the pool bar during peak hours. Who cares if you have prepaid gratuities that get split amongst 3,000 employees, these people are sleeping in shared closets, working 7 days a week, and sending all their money back home to families they barely see, just so we can sit on our asses a gorge for 7 days.

46 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Tipping spoils the market. We already pay prepaid gratuities.  No difference whatsoever.

Completely disagree. Beverage tipping, like dining in a restaurant, is how the service industry works. 

Unfortunately all employers (including cruise lines) pay employees with understanding tipping will make up difference. This happens everywhere, and it's a debate for another day if that is right or wrong.

In the meantime, tipping is not only expected, I absolutely see a big difference in the speed and friendliness of service when waiters/bartenders notice tips coming their way.  You don't have to "make it rain" by any means, but I definitely have seen a difference with even customary tips.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

Tipping seems very Americanized however I dont see people tipping grocery clerks or cashiers.

This is also why I think wait staff around the world loves the US because we automatically tip.  I lived for 3+ yrs in the UK.  I have traveled across Europe and Australia, I know they have a VAT, but as Americans we still leave another tip on top of the bill.

OBTW, I am a military wife (DH is now retired)  guess what?  If you purchase groceries on base/post you actually do tip the baggers.  They are paid min. wage.  They bag your groceries and walk them out to your car, plus put them in.  So yep, in some parts of the US we tip grocery workers.  They are paid min. wage.   We also pay a 5% surcharge for shopping at the commissary.  

I honestly, do not tip at the bars in the pool.  However, we love Schooners and go there for pre-dinner cocktails.  We tip there, not to get better service, but bc after a few days they are our "local" bartender.  They remember our orders and as we pony up to the bar they ask your usual, followed by the order.  They also would go in the back and bring us a cup of nuts or snack for us.

Finally, I don't think it is about the tip per se.  I think it is about respect.

We all forget that while we are having fun, they have personal lives that have to be placed into the back of their mind.  They have to smile, and maybe they just heard their parent thousands of miles away was diagnosed with cancer.  Yes, they signed up for it, but they are still humans with emotions, yet expected to serve us all with a smile.  

Let's also be honest.  I get the 18% argument, but really, you pay how many thousands for a cruise, not including airfare, and we are now talking about maybe 5 bucks a day for a bartender? I say 5 going with 5 alcoholic beverages.  What is that 1% of your cruise cost?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I absolutely see a big difference in the speed and friendliness of service when waiters/bartenders notice tips coming their way.  You don't have to "make it rain" by any means, but I definitely have seen a difference with even customary tips.

100% in agreement, we tip on every drink..  I dont think $3.00 here and there makes a huge difference, not even on my bar bill.

4 hours ago, JT2 said:

Excellent! I've got an 8 day scheduled next June with 3 sea days and Labadee, challenge accepted.

US Army Trained.

lol, have at it, but only from an intellectual stand point. It will be interesting to see how much benefit can be gained from the drinks package on an 8 day

38 minutes ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

lol, have at it, but only from an intellectual stand point. It will be interesting to see how much benefit can be gained from the drinks package on an 8 day

My first sailing was an 8-nighter on Freedom of the Seas like @JT2 is taking, including 3 port days plus a stop in Labadee. I did a semi-live blog of that (link in signature) and gave my daily drink tallies there; definitely came out ahead with the package. Didn't even have to drink that much, but that trip the DBP was only $42/night -- a price I haven't seen in a heck of a long time now.

20 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

My first sailing was an 8-nighter on Freedom of the Seas like @JT2 is taking, including 3 port days plus a stop in Labadee. I did a semi-live blog of that (link in signature) and gave my daily drink tallies there; definitely came out ahead with the package. Didn't even have to drink that much, but that trip the DBP was only $42/night -- a price I haven't seen in a heck of a long time now.

My math was wrong, we'll only be in Aruba and Curacao plus Labadee so 4 days at sea. Right now price for DBP is $61 at 20% off so will wait to see what Black Friday/Cyber Monday brings. I checked out your blog, loved it, very informative! 

6 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

The people working on these ships are busting their butts doing whatever they can to make us comfy, happy, and entertained while working 16+ hour days, and I highly (and boy do I mean HIGHLY) doubt even half of us are even polite to them, so the very least we can do is tip.  

For what it's worth, I worked my way through college by waiting tables at a national chain diner where I worked 12 hour shifts not being tipped, being spit on, verbally abused, GROPED, and looked down on because "it's minimum work", so I get incredibly angry (it's been 13 years since I waited tables!) when I see this.  To you it may be just minimum work, but to them it's their lifeline and how they are feeding their families, and it sure as heck isn't your job to judge.  And that brings me to my next point, why are we looking down on grocery store clerks?!  They are essential workers where I live and are the reason why my grocery stores are open, therefore I can feed myself and my other half, and in my honest opinion, can't get paid enough considering the amount of harassment I see them get every time I get groceries the last seven months. 

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

I generally tip a $1 with the DX.  First of all not all of that 18% goes to the server.  They get an amount per swipe of the card but it isn't the full gratuity you or I pay.   

Secondly, I tend to use the DX a fair bit.  The more you use it the less your effective tip is.  If you drink one drink per day with the DX then you have contributed a good amount to the tip pool.  If you drink 10 or more drinks per day, alcohol, coffee, water, juice, etc. then not so much.    Everyone I know who scored the $18 DX deal committed to tipping extra because they recognized they weren't contributing very much.  If you get it on sale your tip contribution is lower compared to buying at full price.

It's funny because so many express concern that crew wages are low but when you introduce the topic of tipping they clam up and shut their wallets.  "The company should pay".  But the company doesn't pay, it is what it is.  Don't like it, don't cruise but by removing tips or avoiding them you aren't hurting the company, you hurt the crew, the very crew people claim they care about.  

Regardless I've definitely noticed better service when tipping extra.  On more than one ship I've had a bartender recognize me months later and know my drink months later when I return.   On another occasion I had the DX on cruise #1 of a B2B but not on cruise #2.  During C&A happy hour on cruise #2 my drinks were often never empty and made with something I prefer.  That would not have happened otherwise.  Take care of your bartenders and they will take care of you.

I just wanted to throw out there that maybe food consumption should be added to the spreadsheet.  I know whenever I have a drink package I typically eat waaay less due to being liquid full!  So put a few dollars back on the cruise lines side of the scale.

Side note, if I'm on a drink package I typically tip a bit if the bar tend goes above normal duties like remembering what I was drinking or coming around more often to make sure you are never empty.  I will say though when I've traveled through Europe that dining is much more enjoyable than stateside, due to the laid back atmosphere with the waitstaff not in a hurry to move the table along.

When I travel internationally I research before leaving home and I strive to follow local cultures and expectations.  I am a visitor in their country, it's the least I can do.   I don't try to learn all the socioeconomic factors involved or try to understand healthcare systems, taxation, wage laws and so on.  I research what the locals do and do my best to follow their lead.

It's not my place to judge other cultures, traditions or expectations so I don't.  The U.S. is different than many regions.  Which is better or right is a complex question.  Tipping norms vary by region.  I probably overtip in other countries now including Canada.  That's better than failing to meet local norms and expectations.

When sailing mass market cruises or "the big three" it is distinctly an American experience.    Rightfully so, America made the cruise industry what it is and even small foreign lines benefit from that momentum.  

Tipping beyond the included gratuity is a choice no different than tipping anywhere in the world.  Everyone is free to choose an approach they are comfortable with.  I choose to exceed the included DX gratuity that I consider to be low even by Canadian standards when I travel there.  You're money, you're choice.  

11 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

This is also why I think wait staff around the world loves the US because we automatically tip.  

Got to disagree with this, now i am not saying everyone from the US does not tip , there are some who do and do so extremely generously however the majority do not as its a case of when abroad " do as the Romans do "  having worked many years ago as a taxi driver i can honestly say that most US customers were seen by taxi drivers   hotel staff and restaurants as being tighter than 2 coats of paint because there were no tips. 

Thing is it should not matter about tips, no one should need to rely on tips just to survive, companies on land and at sea should pay the correct wage and not rely on customers tips for their staff to survive 

11 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

This is also why I think wait staff around the world loves the US because we automatically tip.  

Got to disagree with this, now i am not saying everyone from the US does not tip , there are some who do and do so extremely generously however the majority do not as its a case of when abroad " do as the Romans do "  having worked many years ago as a taxi driver i can honestly say that most US customers were seen by taxi drivers   hotel staff and restaurants as being tighter than 2 coats of paint because there were no tips. 

Thing is it should not matter about tips, no one should need to rely on tips just to survive, companies on land and at sea should pay the correct wage and not rely on customers tips for their staff to survive 

27 minutes ago, Ray said:

Just curious as I have been told over and over tips are not a thing in the UK as if I'd be crazy to tip.

As a taxi driver, what would a local normally tip you above the fare?

What would a server in an Edinburgh restaurant expect to be tipped on a dinner in a typical full service restaurant?

What do you tip at a local pub for a pint? 

Not trying to provoke, trying to learn more for a future visit.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Just curious as I have been told over and over tips are not a thing in the UK as if I'd be crazy to tip.

Tipping in UK is not expected, however you tip if you get good service or food etc. 

If service or food is rubbish you dont tip, if you decide it merits a tip you leave what you feel it was worth...no 18 or 20% just what you think it deserves.

As a taxi driver, what would a local normally tip you above the fare?

Again this depends on the service, a taxi driver who just sits in cab, doesnt assist with bags or luggage wont get as much as a driver who assists.

With regards locals tipping every customer was different. An old lady returning home from getting her shopping may tip £2 on a £5 fare the next one may round up to the nearest £ 

I once got £50 for a £2.40 hire as guy was just happy he didn't have to walk home in the rain 

What would a server in an Edinburgh restaurant expect to be tipped on a dinner in a typical full service restaurant?

As stated previously this all depends on the level of service and quality of food, We brits do tip but in our country tips must be earned not just expected.

What do you tip at a local pub for a pint? 

Nothing or just round up to nearest £ ! We Dont have to tip to get faster service as barstaff know whos next in line and if someone tries to jump q they will be pulled up for it.

Q jumpers are not tolerated anywhere

Not trying to provoke, trying to learn more for a future visit.

As said its all about the level of service you get and whatever you leave is a bonus so is appreciated 

I lived in the UK for 4 yrs.  I don't think we never didn't tip.  However, let me preface and say that my husband and I during our college years worked in the restaurant business, thus we know how hard they work and the long hours they endure for every shift.  It really would have to be absolute disgusting service for us not to tip.  Our tips are always tied to the level of service, it increases with the quality.  

I tip a bit for almost every drink/coffee on every cruise. I have absolutely noticed the level of service changes - the staff makes it a point to know my name immediately (which I actually hate for some reason but I do 100% appreciate the effort) and make sure to come back to me. My friends noticed it at the pool - the bartenders would always come to me for my drink order. I don't tip more than a dollar or two, I'm not a huge drinker - it's a smile and a buck. I appreciate someone waiting on me and they appreciate me appreciating them. To add - I notice this with female and male servers/bartenders. As someone mentioned before $30 isn't going to break me and I consider it part of my cruise bill.

I would suggest that if you have a spot that you expect to hang out in more than others (for me, the Solarium) - then I would tip nicely on the first day and let them know that they'll be seeing a lot of you.  Cash is best, but however you do it, just do it.  Also, if you're lounging around or in the hot tubs, and a waiter comes and services you, he should get a good tip, as well.   In this case, he's doing all the work.

For me (and I'm not a guy with much disposable income), if we get to go into ports and not be on an excursion, I intend to be a tipping fool.   After all, they're the ones who have really taken it on the chin all these months.  

I'm just so excited to be able to go (hopefully in 74 days) that I'll be the most thankful, masked-up person onboard!