Bahamas in early April - how cold is the water?

bcarney

I just reserved a beach excursion "Blue Lagoon Island Deluxe Beach Break" for our April 5 Oasis cruise.  I was wondering if anyone has been there that time of year - is the ocean water warm enough to swim in?  Atlantis is out of our price range, so it's this or wander around Nassau… any thoughts for a couple with a 7 and 5 year old?

For follow up - my wife and I decided to cancel the excursion.  $228 for the four of us was just too much for a couple hours of beach time & a burger.  They'll probably stay on board while I wander the port area exploring a bit (and trying to avoid being mugged).

We took our kids (10 -11 at the time) to walk around the market that is a few steps away from the port and it was a great experience for them. They got to bargain with some of the vendor and also they saw the guys that were doing some sculptures with wood... They loved it!!... We walked a little and bought some t-shirts and cover-ups for me at a great price! Then we went back in the ship to spend the rest of the day. I think you can bring the kids to Nassau and let them enjoy the different ambiance :)

• 4 weeks later...

Lots to do and see there without having to pay.

I was there in Jan and Feb, both times the water was a little cool but still felt good.

I never got mugged, and I explored all around. Even ended up there overnite as work was being done on the ship and ventured out till about 4am to the bars/clubs and had a blast.

I was less than impressed with the place, but then again we were there only from 7am-2pm, and on a Sunday to boot.  I didn't feel uncomfortable wandering around either… well, other than being hot. :)  But we did leave the kids shipboard, might have felt different with them there.  I can imagine a full-day stop would be far more interesting, but if we stop there again on a future cruise I'll need a good reason to get off the ship.