Did Covid-19 Kill The Early Check-in?

FManke

1 hour ago, twangster said:

All cruise itineraries are planned with buffers built into to accommodate unexpected events.  They leave wiggle room and plan using an economical cruising speed so the bridge can crank up the speed as a means to keep the schedule if they have a delay.  Weather can cause course changes, medical evacs happen, other delays happen.  We'll have to wait and see what boarding delays do to itineraries. 

Oasis class in Miami often has to wait for best tides to transit the channel but they build extra time and choose close next ports like CocoCay so they have greater flexibility.  I imagine these sorts of things are being looked at right now.  

San Juan is our first stop out of Bayonne.  Ugh I hope they don't send us to Port Canaveral instead...but I guess a visit to Grills and possible meet-up would make it worthwhile. 

7 minutes ago, KathyC said:

San Juan is our first stop out of Bayonne.  Ugh I hope they don't send us to Port Canaveral instead...but I guess a visit to Grills and possible meet-up would make it worthwhile. 

I boarded Anthem with after a noro cleaning delay and we still made our stops on time.  We weren't delayed to 2:30pm though. 

There will be fewer cruisers so keep that in mind.  The first few cruises after restart will be new for everyone.  Once they get into a rhythm it will go faster.    

6 hours ago, Melodyjn said:

We are on the same sailing, I woke up and checked in at 5 am the day of.. earliest check in was 2:30, as for the app, it won't even open for me, it says we're working on the fun come back later.

I had to remove my app and re-load it to get mine to work.  Wouldn't let me sign in. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:10 AM, cruisellama said:

Betting the AM times will be suspended for now.  We checked into our Thankgiving cruise and the earliest boarding time was 1:30p so took it.   I think the lines will need to provide a lot of messaging to mitigate the usual swarming of the terminal area on embarkation day.     Also curious how it might affect the special suite lounges in the newer terminals.

I was getting 1:30 pm boarding times pre-Covid and as always disregarded them and was on the ship by 11am for the most part. I think the boarding time is more of a suggestion but maybe things are actually changing? 

Based on what it could potentially take to ramp up these ships, I would venture to guess holiday 2020 sailings are most likely not going to happen. This assumes that RC has not already started the process on the backend to get things moving. It’s one thing to get CDC backing but the bulk of the start up process will involve some serious logistics across multiple continents. 

1 hour ago, Va4fam said:

Just wondering out loud.......if we are boarding later in the day, how long will it take our bags to make it to our cabins?  

That's a great question.  I would guess that there will be additional "precautions" taken with luggage - perhaps some type of disinfecting mist or something....so it may take longer than it used to....but then again, we won't be onboard until later, so maybe it's a wash.

1 hour ago, Va4fam said:

Just wondering out loud.......if we are boarding later in the day, how long will it take our bags to make it to our cabins?  

I'm not expecting significant changes to luggage times.  We'll have to see the effects of distributing guest arrival which could improve the flow of luggage rather than the peak that occurred previously.  Typically any transportation mechanism works best when there is a constant flow as opposed to peaks or rush hour.  This is the theory of metering vehicle traffic on road systems during peak times.  If left un-metered traffic jams occur to a greater extent.  By regulating flow the overall transportation system works better.

From what I've researched there isn't a particular emphasis on luggage as a means of transmission given the airborne nature of CV-19.  Workers may wear gloves and face shields but other than PPE luggage movement shouldn't be negatively impacted IMO.