Southwest to serve Miami year round

Oh my GOSH!!!  This is exciting news to hear!!  I wonder if Air2Sea will ever start to include SWA in their pricing and bookings!  They do not right now and even though SWA flies into Ft Lauderdale (which is where we chose to fly into in April, even though our cruise is from Miami)...I chose to book our flights on American just so I could use Air2Sea.  I know SWA is sort of "their own entity" and are not included with Orbitz, Travelocity, etc so I'm thinking probably will not be added to Air2Sea options.  ? At any rate, if SWA begins flying to Miami from RI then I will be very interested in checking out flights and fares!!

8 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Oh my GOSH!!!  This is exciting news to hear!!  I wonder if Air2Sea will ever start to include SWA in their pricing and bookings!  They do not right now and even though SWA flies into Ft Lauderdale (which is where we chose to fly into in April, even though our cruise is from Miami)...I chose to book our flights on American just so I could use Air2Sea.  I know SWA is sort of "their own entity" and are not included with Orbitz, Travelocity, etc so I'm thinking probably will not be added to Air2Sea options.  ? At any rate, if SWA begins flying to Miami from RI then I will be very interested in checking out flights and fares!!

SWA is a great and friendly airline for the flying public but that's not always the case for travel companies.  Some travel companies have been bitten by fees so hard they avoid selling SWA.  

I'm guessing that's a part of why Air2Sea won't offer SWA.

3 hours ago, USFFrank said:

Lest we forget, perhaps the best reason for using Southwest, especially for cruisers, is 2 free checked bags in addition to a carryon.

I get free bags with Delta so my biggest reason for using SWA is the change policy involving fees.  SWA allows you to change flights without a fee although fare differences will apply.  Not ideal but a whole lot better than "I won't even speak to you about changing flights before charging you a $150 change fee" that most legacy carriers charge.  

I change cruises all the time.  I might see a last minute deal for the cruise before or the next cruise after then I make it a B2B.  Being able to change flights without a fee for nothing is huge.  

Delta has lost thousands of dollars of my business because of their $150 change fee.  This from a million miler on Delta.  In my case, the $150 change fee has cost them a lot more money compared to what it has made for them. Now I'm hooked on their competitor because of it and often don't even check their fares before booking SWA.   

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm kind of jealous of those of you who can fly SouthWest (it flies from  Mpls, but it goes almost nowhere).  The other thing that always concerns me is seating.  I HAVE to sit next to my husband because he's a nervous flyer.  I'm very uncomfortable not being able to choose our seats.

I see some direct nonstop from MSP to FLL in January as an example.  $120 one way, $240 round trip.  The non-stops on Delta start at twice that.  Suncountry is $40 cheaper but charges for bags.  

Add EBCI (early bird check in) and you'll sit with hubby every time.  With no bag fees you'll likely still be ahead.

Before starting to fly SWA the lack of seat reservations was a thing for me but once I started flying them it turned out to be not the thing I feared.

I don't hate SWA, but I don't love them either.

Yes, their no bags fees and no penalties for cancellation are great.  But their seating system (first come, first seated) is extremely lame. No in-seat entertainment also bugs me.

I also don't believe the presence of Southwest in an airport brings prices down. When Southwest came to Atlanta, everyone thought Delta's strangehold on that airport was done, but that was not the case.

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

No in-seat entertainment also bugs me.

I've always thought this was a smart business play.  In seat TV's on airplanes cost significantly up front and add to the weight of the aircraft.  Planes fly millions of miles over their lifetime and every extra pound carried costs money.  On the surface this doesn't seem like a thing but over millions of miles it adds up.  

Meanwhile people bring smart devices with them.  This is weight that is going to be carried no matter what is said or done.  

SWA provides access to content stored on the plane VIA WiFi that can be watched on your smart device.  You can also watch live TV channels and they offer free messaging to the ground.  This is all free.  

When I fly on a plane with in seat entertainment and the person behind me is nailing the screen to play pacman it drives me crazy, like a kid kicking my seat all flight long.  For international flights it's one thing since they have in seat remote buttons to play games, but for shorter domestic flights I'm totally good saving money and using my own device that I have with me anyways.

Plus the Southwest effect is real!  Just look at Hawaii.  Seriously, I know Delta tracks SWA prices and adjusts flights prices based on them.  I've seen it time and again.  

But I get it, coming from Mr. "Miami is too far.  I can only cruise from Tampa or Canaveral".  ? 

I found Miami to be fine if flying in on Delta.  Flying in and out on SunCountry was nothing short of awful.  Their gate was at the most remote, least maintained part of the terminal.  There was no TSA precheck at security for that part of the terminal.  There was almost no seating at the gate (most of us were sitting on the floor or standing around).  We swore never again to Miami (although in reality it's never again on SunCountry because they get shitty gates).

On 9/8/2020 at 11:07 AM, Matt said:

I don't hate SWA, but I don't love them either.

Yes, their no bags fees and no penalties for cancellation are great.  But their seating system (first come, first seated) is extremely lame. No in-seat entertainment also bugs me.

I also don't believe the presence of Southwest in an airport brings prices down. When Southwest came to Atlanta, everyone thought Delta's strangehold on that airport was done, but that was not the case.

I agree completely with Matt. Not a big Southwest fan. I hate their seating system.

But @Matt most airlines will be getting rid of in seat entertainment on domestic flights. Everyone has a phone or tablet today so they can just stream the entertainment to the devices. It makes the planes a little lighter, so Airlines can save a little on fuel, and it saves them money on software updates and repair. 

16 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Of course this can be avoided since Star Class often is on the same price range as THE RESIDENCE on Etihad or their similarly branded FIRST APARTMENT. Puts US CARRIERS to shame. 

I have NO idea what Star Class has to do with Southwest Airlines.

2 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

This is only stateside. Asian carriers are known to be the best and offer superior service such as Japan Airlines, Korea  Air, Singapore Airlines, EVA all have a superior product compared to American carriers who are often in financial trouble. And all Asian legacy carriers have personal televisions in all classes and superior meal service on short haul. Also their FA'S are pleasant young adults. US carriers should learn from their Asian counterparts on how to run good profitable operations. 

You are in right on the point that I probably should have clarified that Domestic Airlines is what I meant when I said most airlines are removing in flight screens. I don’t know what the asian market is doing

On 9/8/2020 at 12:55 AM, twangster said:

I get free bags with Delta so my biggest reason for using SWA is the change policy involving fees.  SWA allows you to change flights without a fee although fare differences will apply.  Not ideal but a whole lot better than "I won't even speak to you about changing flights before charging you a $150 change fee" that most legacy carriers charge.  

I change cruises all the time.  I might see a last minute deal for the cruise before or the next cruise after then I make it a B2B.  Being able to change flights without a fee for nothing is huge.  

Delta has lost thousands of dollars of my business because of their $150 change fee.  This from a million miler on Delta.  In my case, the $150 change fee has cost them a lot more money compared to what it has made for them. Now I'm hooked on their competitor because of it and often don't even check their fares before booking SWA.   

Check out the new Delta policy.  Not as great as Southwest but change fees are now gone.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-supporters-california-clinton-fake-news-vote-2020-a9214131.html?fbclid=IwAR0E9Ceeoveu90HuVxkSq3apzHmDKileHF-CHkHyc9llpiF2yeEGKO6egPk