House Recon - OK, So Not a Cruise Blog...

WAAAYTOOO

Everything went well with the walk-through, but as I said before, we knew exactly what still needs to be done and our Construction Manager is taking care of all of it....not that there's much.

Apparently the builder does not have the gas turned on prior to closing.  I was not aware of this so I need to call the gas company tomorrow and make arrangements for them to come and turn on the gas and check all of the gas appliances.  Not a big deal...just something that I hadn't been aware of before.  I guess that's what final walk-throughs are for...

I mentioned before that we are having some post-closing work done....there are a lot of things that the builder just doesn't do so we are contracting those ourselves to be completed once we are officially the owners.  We are having an epoxy floor coating put on the garage floor, sealing the tile throughout the house (which is all we have...no carpet of any kind), built-ins for the closets, office, entertainment center, garage storage, a very nifty jewelry cabinet for me !, additional kitchen cabinet installs, BIG bird cage fenced enclosure on the back of the house, fans throughout the house, new lighting fixtures (some pendant lights and a new foyer light), whole-house water treatment system, and emergency generator system.  All of this has to be done AFTER the year-long wait to complete the actual house !  Some of it can be done soon, some will take a while.  The bird cage, for instance, will most likely take several months to complete.  They are THAT booked up. So we will be looking forward to another few months of post-construction, construction.  It's going to be a while before we are truly "settled".

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Dan has picked up every pebble out of the yard both pre-sod and post-sod. 

@WAAAYTOOO

When we bought our first home it was a spec home so we got to pick the finishes.  We still needed the yard done.

I asked the builder when would the Sod be laid.

They laughed at me and said

"Bless your heart, Sweetheart we grow our grass here"

My husband explained I was from FL.  I truly thought everyone used Sod, granted I was 25 years old who lived in an apartment while in college.

Your house looks great!  I'm so happy for you and Dan!

Wow just read the WHOLE thing! 

Welcome to Florida! Been here 32 years! We are between St Augustine and Jacksonville. We will be passing by you next month on our way to Miami (Symphony) and again in March to PE (Wonder). We’ll honk as we go by! 😁 

Another 3 weeks or so and the hot, hot weather will be behind us. 9 months of beautiful weather ahead! 

I’m sure y’all will love it here! 

19 hours ago, Jill said:

Wow just read the WHOLE thing! 

Welcome to Florida! Been here 32 years! We are between St Augustine and Jacksonville. We will be passing by you next month on our way to Miami (Symphony) and again in March to PE (Wonder). We’ll honk as we go by! 😁 

Another 3 weeks or so and the hot, hot weather will be behind us. 9 months of beautiful weather ahead! 

I’m sure y’all will love it here! 

Thanks, Jill !!  We do love it.  We are soooo glad we made the decision(s) we did.  We were actually pleasantly surprised at the summer heat.  Maybe we were just prepared for it to be much worse, but it was no worse than the summers in VA.  I think the "hot season" is just longer than it is elsewhere...but I've been MUCH hotter in TX than I ever was in FL this summer.

Closed on the house on 9-15 and we are busier than ever with all of the add-ons.  Got the garage epoxy floor done, ceiling fans, pendant lights and plantation shutters all installed.  My motorized bamboo curtain will be installed probably on Thursday.  Signed contracts for the water treatment system and the emergency generator on Thursday and got the contracts all in place for the bird cage enclosure.  The built-ins will start in late October.  The move is Sunday, 9-26.  Can't wait to be done with all of it !!

• 3 months later...

Lovely wife and I just finished making an offer on a new home on the Space Coast due to job changes!!  Yay!!  We are so looking forward to moving to Sunshine and long weekends at Coco Cay!  @WAAAYTOOO story inspired us to make the change!!  Thanks, and excited to call FL home!  #independenceismynewweekendgetaway

29 minutes ago, Snotarni said:

Lovely wife and I just finished making an offer on a new home on the Space Coast due to job changes!!  Yay!!  We are so looking forward to moving to Sunshine and long weekends at Coco Cay!  @WAAAYTOOO story inspired us to make the change!!  Thanks, and excited to call FL home!  #independenceismynewweekendgetaway

YIPPEE !!!!  You and Twangster will be neighbors (with Matt just a little drive inland) !!  It's been soooo nice, especially this winter with all the snow they've been having up there.  Please keep us updated on the move.

• 1 month later...

Well...  there's still many boxes around to be opened and unpacked, but, we're in our new home in Titusville...  We're trying the first of several (6 straight!) Monthly 3-day cruises  😉 this weekend.   I commute to Orlando 4 days a week (we had to get an EV (gas prices!)...) and lovely wife is commuting to KSF...  we're excited to call Florida home, and looking forward to no/minimal airfare for cruises!!  🌞

Since I am already on this thread, wishing @Snotarnia hearty welcome, I will go ahead and post a small update of my own !!

Our "bird cage" (sans birds, @SpeedNoodles  LOL) is finally done !!!!  It took FORever to get it all done.  Permits, inspections, installation, inspections....round and round we went for nearly a year.  It will be the focal point of our home, when the new furniture arrives.  At that time, I will post some pix.  

On 1/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

YIPPEE !!!!  You and Twangster will be neighbors (with Matt just a little drive inland) !!  It's been soooo nice, especially this winter with all the snow they've been having up there.  Please keep us updated on the move.

Having followed you in your move from VA to FL, I am now planning my move to FL from VA, thank you for this thread.