Travel Insurance on Lifted/Shifted Cruise

teddy

FYI for those who have insured trips and are thinking of Lifting/Shifting.

I searched back a few pages to see if this was talked about.  I found a thread on travel insurance refunds for cancelled cruises, but nothing about shifted cruises.

Anyway, I woke up last night thinking about how we shifted our November 2020 cruise to November 2021 and were able to get a voucher for our flights, but totally forgot about our trip insurance policy.

Allianz will allow you to change your policy to a rebooked trip (within some parameters).  For us, it was as easy as changing the dates on our policy.  I received a confirmation email in less than five minutes.

I have only researched Allianz as they are the company we use, but I would think other companies would do the same.

From their FAQs sections: 

• - If I rebook my trip to a later date, can I apply my travel protection plan from my original trip to the rebooked trip?

• Yes, we are happy to allow you to move your plan coverage dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip anytime within 770 days from date of initial insurance purchase.  Coverage dates must be updated prior to traveling and prior to any loss for which you seek coverage.  There are two options to take advantage of this opportunity:

• If you know the date of your rescheduled trip, please visit our Manage a Policy page to update the travel dates associated with your plan.
    • If you do not yet know your new travel dates, let us know by calling us at the number listed on your plan, and we can hold your plan for you to use later.  Once you know your new travel dates, please contact us to update your plan's travel dates to cover your new trip.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/covid-19-faq.htm

I can vouch for this.  However, you are not limited to "lift and shift".  We had a cruise (with Allianz insurance) cancelled due to COVID and simply changed the dates (on the policy) to a future cruise.  Our future cruise is more expensive (more nights) so Allianz just charged us the difference.  Bottom line is that you won't get any money back for premiums on cruises cancelled due to COVID.  However, you can simply change the dates.  

Pro-Tip: When we book a cruise, we fully intend to buy insurance but we don't do it at the time of the booking.  We do it at a later date.