Did a Lift and shift and may not have 1 of the guest go

OutToSea

Did a lift and shift and got a amazing deal on a symphony of the seas deal for next summer. We have 2 rooms and it was supposed to be me and my wife and three kids along with my father in law. it turns out that my father in law may not go. the arrangement are for  my wife and i to have 1 kid in a room and my father in law with the other 2 kids. It would be really nice if he did not come to just move the one kid out of our room and into the room with the other 2 kids . by the way the rooms are not next to each other there is one room between. Do I cancel stuff ahead of time or do I just wait and not have him show up for the cruise. any experience with this would be helpful. Rebooking it is not a option as we are paying less than 500 a person for this cruise.

Since the two cabins are not adjoining, this could raise a flag at check-in if the FIL doesn't arrive with you. Assuming the children are all minors, there has to be one adult in each room. If the rooms were adjoining you could bypass this requirement, but being separate they will probably insist on it when you do check-in. You or your wife will be required to move to the other room, should just be a paperwork change and then your FIL will be refunded the port fees and taxes.

After that's done and you've boarded, you can go to Guest Services and request an extra card for each room so that post check-in, you can still have you and your wife in one room and the three kids all in the other, but it will be a bit of hassle to deal with. And if Security catches on that there are three minors staying in the one room all the time while the two adults in the other non-connected room, they may knock on your door. That part I don't have experience with, will defer to @Matt's experience on this front.

If I'm reading this right, you have this cruise booked (and rebooked with L&S) and basically you aren't sure if your father in law will actually make the cruise, but do not want to remove him from the reservation for fear it may mess up the low rate you have.

If so, there is no penalty if your father in law doesnt show up for the cruise. You won't get money back for his fare, just a refund on port fees and taxes.

The issue may or may not be the kids in the second room. Therefore, I recommend on paper, you swap names with your wife and father in law.  So your father in law is booked in the room with you, and your wife is booked with the kids. No cost to change names (as long as one person from original reservation is on it) and I think that would work if your father in law no-shows.

If he does come on the cruise, it is very easy to just go to Guest Services and swap cards between your wife and father in law.

@Matt, the other angle here is that the OP would like to just have all three kids in one room and himself and his wife in the other if the father-in-law no-shows. Since the rooms are not directly adjoining and have another guest cabin in between, would that be an issue with shipboard security / passenger safety (SOLAS) requirements if the children are all minors?

I know it's possible to have the adults in one room and the children by themselves when two cabins are adjoining (and ideally, connected). Just not sure about this case, even if the OP does the on-paper name switch as you suggest to cover a no-show by the father-in-law. As @twangster said, this may just need the input of an experienced TA or some what-if discussions with an RC rep.