How does $12 max per drink limit work with deluxe pkg?

shorebird618

I purchased the deluxe package, but then read the fine print at the bottom about the maximum of $12 per drink. I then looked for examples of drinks menus for Symphony on line and it seems that most of the fun mixed drinks are $13 and up ?.  If I want to order one of these would I have to pay out of pocket for them, or does someone with the deluxe package get a $12 credit for each drink and have to pay the difference? Thanks!

It has been my experience that the DBP covers 99% of the drinks that I want.  The exceptions seem to be pricey wines and some of the top shelf liquors.  When I say "top shelf", I mean WAAAY up top.  The package includes most of the top shelf brands...it's only the really, really expensive stuff that they don't include.  We ordered a couple of glasses of a Caymus wine once and that was extra...a LOT extra !  In fact, that time with the Caymus is the one and only time I have ever been charged extra for any drink I've ordered...but that's not really saying much.  We aren't big drinkers anyway and my tastes are fairly pedestrian so I don't push the envelope much.  Krakken lava flow is about as exotic as I am likely to get.  I do love a good amaretto pina colada though....yumm

38 minutes ago, shorebird618 said:

I purchased the deluxe package, but then read the fine print at the bottom about the maximum of $12 per drink. I then looked for examples of drinks menus for Symphony on line and it seems that most of the fun mixed drinks are $13 and up ?.  If I want to order one of these would I have to pay out of pocket for them, or does someone with the deluxe package get a $12 credit for each drink and have to pay the difference? Thanks!

I've seen both those results on different ships same line at the martini bar.   Had a deluxe package, ordered an out of bounds  drink and charged the difference (seemed fair).  Different cruise (same line) was charged for the full amount (I knew because I had to sign, which normally on Celeb, you don't have to sign on the premium package).   As it turns out, the drink wasn't palatable and I told the bar tender that I didn't like it.  Then cancelled the charge and gave me another drink (I selected one that was in the the limitation).  Celeb now offers a deluxe + plan as a number of their specialty drinks exceed the premium level.   

I have to agree with @WAAAYTOOO  I have never had to pay an additional fee on any cruise for any drink, be it specialty with a "call  name"  or getting a specialty coffee, such as an ice coffee with a double shot of espresso. 

My husband and I drink either Bulleit Bourbon or Gentlemen Jack and never paid an additional cost.

My BIL drinks Patron, I believe he did pay a $3 buck more charge, but it wasn't because it was Patron, he called the higher level Patron.  I don't drink Patron, but I am sure those that do know there are different levels, just like you can request Johnnie Walker, and I bet Red, and Black (or maybe it is gold, don't drink it), but if you order Blue than you are going to pay the difference from the 13 marker.  

Lastly, if you order their specialty drink in their specialty souvenir cup (typically at the pool) you will pay the difference.

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

(I knew because I had to sign, which normally on Celeb, you don't have to sign on the premium package)

On every one of my RCL cruises you have to sign the bill at the bars even with the DBP, that includes at Coco Cay or Labadee.   The only time I cannot recall signing for a drink was in the dining room.  In the dining rooms we just gave them our sea pass card and they delivered it to us.  Caveat, in the specialty restaurants we were required to sign at the end of the meal.  Hubby always takes care of this, but I seem to think that the sign off was more about giving a tip for the server than our drink orders, but again I won't swear on that.  I  am just saying he always turns to me and says...I am going to tip them X amount, I never look at the paper receipt.  The receipt might just be our drink bill.  We tip in cash.

5 minutes ago, Wethen said:

The included wine list on symphony looks very limited and not very good compared to celebrity.   Is it my imagination or are the wines included VERY limited. 

Depends on your taste.  Decent Sauvignon Blanc wines are covered, not so many Cabs or Pinots.    When I'm eating a specialty steak I'll generally pay the $3 or $4 uplift to a decent Cab.