Port Canaveral projects slow return to sailing in 2021 with 50% cruise ship capacity

1 hour ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

As the article states, theyre only planning on allowing 4 total ships there. I'd imagine that RCL will get a slot, now the question is, which ship?

"The proposed budget projects 50% sailing for the entirety of the fiscal year, but anticipates allowing more ships per line being added in each quarter."

Doesn't seem like they're expecting it to be linear, and they'll adjust quarterly.

1 hour ago, LizzyBee23 said:

"The proposed budget projects 50% sailing for the entirety of the fiscal year, but anticipates allowing more ships per line being added in each quarter."

Doesn't seem like they're expecting it to be linear, and they'll adjust quarterly.

Yupp, but that's 3 months of only 4 ships. I'm curious which ones they select 

1 hour ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Yupp, but that's 4 months of only 4 ships. I'm curious which ones they select 

Hate to be a poindexter, but it's 3 months. I'm curious too! I wonder what the selection criteria looks like... I'd imagine companies with private islands nearby and more short itineraries are a sure bet as those seem more likely to be sustainable early on, and probably generate more revenue for the port anyway. But longer itineraries mean less people at port... And all of that has to be balanced with future business in mind.

I know almost nothing about port management though, so my speculation is pretty much worthless.

Edit: Ha! You caught it.

4 hours ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

As the article states, theyre only planning on allowing 4 total ships there. I'd imagine that RCL will get a slot, now the question is, which ship?

Well my guess would be Mariner. RC has said all along the short Bahamas cruises would probably be first. 

Second quarter would hopefully add Harmony. 

My main interest is what is Miami going to do? I’ve got a May Symphony that is replacing my canceled October Symphony which replaced my May 2020 Symphony. Hoping 3rd times a charm! 

59 minutes ago, krhardy said:

I am so encouraged by the European sailing success! If I could fly there right now, I'd do it just to take a cruise!

Me to0 - they're able to test the waters (pun intended).    The fact the EU has more control over their immediate sailing region (than the US has over the Caribbean or Alaskan market region) it makes the test runs more practical.