Thinking about MSC Seaside.... Change my mind

vanelli56

As I am sure most everyone on here is the same as me... wondering when we can get back on a cruise???? (Particularly a RCL ship) While we wait with bated breath, cruising came up in a conversation with some friends the other day about possibly booking a short trip as soon as things get going again. This group of friends have been together on 2 cruises before... one on CCL and one on RCL. (And I have been on 3 other RCL cruises with an Alaska one booked for 2021). But for this trip in question, one of our friends has FCC with C**nival cruise lines (C**nival is a bad word in my house) :-) But for a short quick trip, I would gladly go just for the heck of it. It would most likely be a small group of friends, mainly looking to drink and have some fun.... so CCL really fits the bill for a short trip and that 'party' vibe. 

Now I know you are asking.... "Why am I talking about CCL when the title clearly mentioned MSC???" Just stay with me for a moment.... I'm getting there. (Besides, we all know you are 'working from home (cough cough), in your PJ's, reading cruise formus') :-)

While browsing potential trips with CCL, I broadened up my search parameters and noticed new sailings from MSC out of Port Canaveral. I've never really even considered them due to mixed reviews in the past and various other reasons. BUT... in this most recent search I see they have moved some ships around (To port canaveral) and also have their private island available similar to RCL Coco Cay. As I dove deeper and deeper into the depths of MSC reviews on youtube... I came across their 'Yacht Club' rooms and area of the ship. Personally, I'm a frugal type cruiser that is happy in an inside or perhaps splurge on a Balcony if the price is right. But I've never even considered a suite style room on either a RCL or CCL ship, just because I feel the value is not there for me personally. BUT.... here's where I am going with this.... The MSC Yacht club area really seems to be a 'ship within a ship' area. Private dining, lounge, bar, sundeck, pool, etc. etc. And they have all categories of staterooms that you can choose from within the YC class. (Inside, balcony, suite, grand suite, grand suite Plus, super grand suite plus plus, super grand suite plus plus super awesome extra gold platinum, etc.) Just kidding on some of those... but you get the idea. 

With that being said... their inside YC cabin is a similar price point to a Jr. Suite or even a XL balcony on an RCL ship (Give or take, depending on the cruise and ship, etc). So my thinking is that as a value standpoint getting an inside cabin with suite level perks, and a fully private area on the ship (Thinking about the whole covid-19 thing)... might be a potential adventure I am willing to try out. (yes, slightly more then what I would typically spend for a cabin.... but I can see added value for what MSC is offering at this price point). 

Anyone on here have any thoughts on the newer MSC ships (Particularly the Seaside) and booking in the Yacht Club rooms, and how it may compare to what I know and love with Royal?

Cliff notes: 

Sweet perks (pun intended) 

Private ship within a ship area (thinking covid)

Wont break the bank (thinking about my wallet)

Sample a new/different ship & cruise line (variety is the spice of life)

New private island (thinking about the Coco Cay Competition) 

So.... with that literary challenge behind you.... tell me your thoughts

I'm thinking of booking a Yacht Club room on the MSC Seaside.....Change my mind!

We faced these exact questions two years ago when the Seaside first came out.  As cruisers who are mainly loyal to Royal and suite snobs, I couldn't believe the prices of YC and the perks that came with it.  We booked a sailing over the summer of 2018 because we were waiting for Symphony to show up and there were no Royal sailings at the time that appealed to us.  My detailed thoughts are here.

Quick summary: The Seaside is definitely not Royal and YC is most definitely not Royal Suite Class.  Even the Balcony rooms in YC are comparable to a JS at best.  The food quality in the Top Sail restaurant was good, but does not hold candle to Coastal Kitchen.  The lounge was nice though and their YC sundeck is way better than Royal because there is dining up there.  That was probably the only thing that YC does better than Royal.  Shows were not great.  Once you see one, you've seen pretty much all.  It was an fair substitute, but not something that we would do again.

As stated above....pricing. That's what got us to try MSC on the Divina. Nice aft balcony for half the price of the same aft balcony on the Navigator (both ships out of Miami for a New Years sailing). Enjoyed the ship very much.

We then tried a YC cabin on the Seaside when it came to Miami. That is a different ball game. RCI came out later with the classes of suite cabins on bigger ships, but the pricing was too high for us. If you want to give it a try, get a YC interior cabin(yes, they do have them) and see if you like it, that's what we did. Then see if you want a YC balcony suite vs. an RCI Sky or similar. We have sailed in Grand suites and Junior suites, we wanted to try the YC "experience".

At about $190 a day PP + tax, it was very nice, and on their newest ship. We have a YC booked for a 7 day Mediterranean sailing on the Seaside in the late fall 2021. Price is about the same, just under $200 a day PP + tax. With a different port every day, I won't miss the balcony. RCI wants $250 a day PP just for a lead in balcony on a Med sailing.

We still sail with RCI mostly, but without wearing blinders..........

And, YES, YC is a ship within a ship..........

18 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We faced these exact questions two years ago when the Seaside first came out.  As cruisers who are mainly loyal to Royal and suite snobs, I couldn't believe the prices of YC and the perks that came with it.  We booked a sailing over the summer of 2018 because we were waiting for Symphony to show up and there were no Royal sailings at the time that appealed to us.  My detailed thoughts are here.

Quick summary: The Seaside is definitely not Royal and YC is most definitely not Royal Suite Class.  Even the Balcony rooms in YC are comparable to a JS at best.  The food quality in the Top Sail restaurant was good, but does not hold candle to Coastal Kitchen.  The lounge was nice though and their YC sundeck is way better than Royal because there is dining up there.  That was probably the only thing that YC does better than Royal.  Shows were not great.  Once you see one, you've seen pretty much all.  It was an fair substitute, but not something that we would do again.

Been reading your review you linked... so far I'm about half way through. Thanks for sharing. 

Also, thanks for everyone's input so far.