Higher deposits?

I am trying to book a cruise using the FCC from the non-refundable deposit of a cruise we canceled. When we booked, the deposit was $100 per person--there were 4 of us, so we have $400 in FCC. However, as I look at cruises, it seems like several are asking for $1,000 in deposits! I am looking at other itineraries than the one we initially picked, but the lengths are no different. I don't want to invest an extra $600 when I'm not even sure what the future of cruising is.

Is there a way to search by deposit amount? Why would some cruises have such high deposits?

1 hour ago, greenoolongsa said:

I am trying to book a cruise using the FCC from the non-refundable deposit of a cruise we canceled. When we booked, the deposit was $100 per person--there were 4 of us, so we have $400 in FCC. However, as I look at cruises, it seems like several are asking for $1,000 in deposits! I am looking at other itineraries than the one we initially picked, but the lengths are no different. I don't want to invest an extra $600 when I'm not even sure what the future of cruising is.

Is there a way to search by deposit amount? Why would some cruises have such high deposits?

Are you searching on the Royal Caribbean site or another?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The standard has always been $100 per person for short sailings (under 7 nights) and $250pp for sailings that are 7+ nights.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/deposit-requirements

actually 3-5 nights is $100.. 6-9 nights is $250 a person and then 10 nights and above is $450 a person.. I never been on a 10 night but I just checked and its def $450 a person lol 

I often find myself on longer cruises which have always been $450 deposit unless, sometimes NextCruise has the $100 deposit promotion. 

Not all cruises at NextCruise qualify.  I've never spent much time dwelling on it, sometimes the cruises at Next are standard deposits and sometimes they have $100 deposits.

Typically the standard deposits are:

three/four/five $100

six/seven/eight $250

nine + $450 

Group cruises can deviate from this.    Some travel agencies leverage group type rates but don't organize a group cruise specifically.  These can sometimes require $250 deposit minimum or sometimes non-standard deposits.  

Deposits are based on length of cruise. If you book at NextCruise it's lower typically, but if you're just booking at home.

Normally $100 per person for 1-5 nights, $250 per person for 6-9 nights, and $450 per person for 10 night or longer cruises.

If you want to use your FCC for the deposit you can pay the difference I am pretty sure.

• 11 months later...

I am working on some research at the moment and would love to hear from you all on this matter being discussed.

If there was a way to pay a small 5-10% fee to not be required to put a deposit down well in advance of your trip as well as to protect your debit/credit card during the trip by not having your funds held to cover hotel room incidentals, would you support service? 

Appreciate any insight.

2 hours ago, StudentResearcher said:

I am working on some research at the moment and would love to hear from you all on this matter being discussed.

If there was a way to pay a small 5-10% fee to not be required to put a deposit down well in advance of your trip as well as to protect your debit/credit card during the trip by not having your funds held to cover hotel room incidentals, would you support service? 

Appreciate any insight.

I'm pretty sure we'd need to know exactly what you're talking about because it doesn't make any sense to me.   What hotel room incidentals?  

My 7 and 9 nights are $250. My 11 and 12 nights are $450. I don’t have anything less than 7 nights. All are Junior Suites except the four Oasis trips are all crown loft suites. The only times I booked with less deposit was on board.

***Oh, and a 10% fee based on the price of the cruise would be more than I’m paying now for a deposit. And the deposit goes directly toward the cost of the cruise. In other words…no…I would not pay a third party for the convenience of not paying a deposit where that money doesn’t go toward my cruise fare. The deposit paid while booking is not held for incidentals as in a hotel…but goes directly to the cost. Also, I want my credit card to be charged for whatever above and beyond I spend onboard rather than dealing with a third party. Too many fingers in the cookie jar.

3 hours ago, StudentResearcher said:

Appreciate any insight.

If you are talking about an extra “service” fee to avoid deposits up front, no, I am not willing to spend extra for that.  I would never select that option, if it was offered. I would also not be interested in paying an extra fee to avoid the temporary hold on a credit card.

But I’m an accountant, love to save on bargains, and don’t like spending extra for this type of thing. ?