FCC for Teenagers

Lilly

Yes, another FCC comment. Sorry everyone. I cancelled my Thanksgiving 2020 cruise today. I had two rooms booked. One for me and DH and one for two 17 year old kids.  I asked for the FCC for the teens to be put under my name since they will not be able to cruise in the next few years (starting college and have no idea of school schedules). I booked/paid for both rooms.  RC said the teens are considered adults since they will be 18 in November and must have FCC in their name and this FCC will be issued in one month. I then asked that when they receive their FCC next month if they can book a cruise for themselves without me being involved. Well, of course not.

My thinking is -they  are currently minors and can not legally be bound by a contract. And yet, they can be issued a FCC in their names to be used by them because they will turn 18 in November? And yet, they can not use this FCC without me being involved. So, why can their FCC not be issued to me? 

So I will receive 4 FCC and two will never be used.  I was planning to take  the two teens  FCC and apply it to a cruise for 2021 with my DH.

I did not realize the policy for FCC and minors and am disappointed in RC’s policy.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Apologies for my rant and ineloquent explanation. Just fuming a bit at the moment. 

Actually, I’m surprised that they even brought up the issue of the kids being (or not being) minors, as minorship (is that even a real word ?) has nothing to do with the rules governing FCC’s.  

It is my understanding that some people have had success having FCC’s re-issued but it’s not the rule and I probably wouldn’t count on it.

I'm dealing with moderately similar...  The one paying the bills should have full fcc control.  If we use her FCC for the Nov1 trip that likely wont go we're all set. Since its not likely to go.  Next years trip she would have to take off from college to join us and at that not use  but about half for that trip...  I am hoping that something goes right soon... 

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Yes, another FCC comment. Sorry everyone. I cancelled my Thanksgiving 2020 cruise today. I had two rooms booked. One for me and DH and one for two 17 year old kids.  I asked for the FCC for the teens to be put under my name since they will not be able to cruise in the next few years (starting college and have no idea of school schedules). I booked/paid for both rooms.  RC said the teens are considered adults since they will be 18 in November and must have FCC in their name and this FCC will be issued in one month. I then asked that when they receive their FCC next month if they can book a cruise for themselves without me being involved. Well, of course not.

My thinking is -they  are currently minors and can not legally be bound by a contract. And yet, they can be issued a FCC in their names to be used by them because they will turn 18 in November? And yet, they can not use this FCC without me being involved. So, why can their FCC not be issued to me? 

So I will receive 4 FCC and two will never be used.  I was planning to take  the two teens  FCC and apply it to a cruise for 2021 with my DH.

I did not realize the policy for FCC and minors and am disappointed in RC’s policy.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Apologies for my rant and ineloquent explanation. Just fuming a bit at the moment.     I was going to suggest get a refund but I realize you canceled before they made the next round of announcements.. So never mind that won't work.. Sorry about that

That's surprising. I had a similar question about our FCC when we went to rebook our cruise and had some extra. Less than a week ago my travel agent said that our 17-year old daughter's remaining FCC could be transferred to me since she was under 21. I would recommend calling again until you get a different answer. 

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Actually, I’m surprised that they even brought up the issue of the kids being (or not being) minors, as minorship (is that even a real word ?) has nothing to do with the rules governing FCC’s.  

It is my understanding that some people have had success having FCC’s re-issued but it’s not the rule and I probably wouldn’t count on it.

Exactly right WAAAYTOOO; had grand-children’s FCC issues in their names; ages ranging from 4-15; they won’t change it. 

@WAAAYTOOO  I brought up the fact that they are minors because I believe I should have the ability to determine how the FCC is applied. The fact that they are not adults should come into play, as I believe the parent or person responsible for the bills as @deep1 (wishing you good luck and smooth sailings) said should have the final say on how/who should receive the FCC.

@bryresangel Thank you for the information on your experience. 

Based on what you have all written, I will wait until I receive the FCC, call and see if I can have their FCC transferred to me.

I have read everyone’s posts for years but haven’t written. Thank you for your sound advice. Hope we are all back on the seas soon.

There have been some situations in this ever changing rules with Royal where they allowed parents to take the FCC and use it.  It did depend on which person you got to help you in the call center.  I agree that the person that paid the bill should have some say so.  I was fighting with one a couple months ago and the person in the call center said if I had the kids write to say it was ok for the parents to have the FCC they would do it.... had a lot of fun asking the client of the 4 and 7 year old to have them write me an email or letter!

1 hour ago, AnnetteJackson said:

There have been some situations in this ever changing rules with Royal where they allowed parents to take the FCC and use it.  It did depend on which person you got to help you in the call center.  I agree that the person that paid the bill should have some say so.  I was fighting with one a couple months ago and the person in the call center said if I had the kids write to say it was ok for the parents to have the FCC they would do it.... had a lot of fun asking the client of the 4 and 7 year old to have them write me an email or letter!

OMG, it would be so great to have the four year old send in a macaroni picture that says it’s ok for her parents to use her FCC, but of course it should read “Futre Creews Cwedit”

• 2 weeks later...

Jeeze...Royal is all over the place with what age is considered an "adult".

Back in January, when I did a back to back on Adventure, my 19 y/o son flew down to do the second leg with me.  Because he was under 21, they wouldn't let him board unless I was with him...I had to disembark then go back through with him.

9 minutes ago, teddy said:

Jeeze...Royal is all over the place with what age is considered an "adult".

Back in January, when I did a back to back on Adventure, my 19 y/o son flew down to do the second leg with me.  Because he was under 21, they wouldn't let him board unless I was with him...I had to disembark then go back through with him.

That probably has some other safeguards in play, like making sure an adult doesn't book a cabin for high school or college kids to party in.  

A cabin attendant on Anthem told me a story about some college kids partying on a previous ship in the past.  At one point these kids decided that anything not bolted down should be thrown overboard including the mattress.  It was an especially sobering experience when they got the bill.  You have to figure for the next cruise they had to accommodate the next guests into another cabin.  

I imagine that cruise lines, like hotels, have no shortage of stories about 19 year olds.  Best to make absolutely sure that a credit card carrying adult is on board with them.