Proposal for a 2024 Group Cruise

JLMoran

OK, I know this is WAAAY in the future, but these sorts of things have to planned out WAAAY in advance!

On April 8, 2024, the Great North American Total Solar Eclipse will sweep across the continent, with one of the best potential viewing spots being a strip on the ocean in between New Brunswick and Newfoundland / Labrador. There will also be viewing spots running from central New Brunswick WSW down through Maine, Montreal, and northern New York state.

We know that Royal did an Eclipse sailing for the last North American total eclipse in 2017; so even though this is further north and they don't normally sail that way so early in the year, I could see them making an exception. Especially if cruising is finally back to normal travel levels by then (and lord help us if it isn't!); they will probably see something like that as a HUGE draw for folks looking to see the eclipse without fighting for hotel space or a spot to view it.

So what do y'all think? Should we start pressuring @Matt now to keep an eye out for such a cruise and get it on the GC board as soon as it appears? ? Could be on Empress out of Montreal, or maybe they'll do an early NE sailing out of Boston or NJ. Cape Liberty already has 7-night Bahamas sailings in April, so I'm betting they'll have at least one sailing for this last major total eclipse in North America for the next... I think 20 years or more?

i was on the Eclipse cruise.  One thing to note it was not the experience that I had thought it would be.  We never got full darkness due to light reflecting from the ocean miles away,.  Secondly, we were in some clouds that obscured the view as well.  Although it was a cool cruise with Bonnie Tyler and other entertainment, I would have had a better view in my backyard in Atlanta.  We were given Royal Caribbean glasses and were on the helipad for the "show".    

4 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

The next solar eclipse occurs 177 days later.

True statement. My statement is also true, when you take the full context: the next total solar eclipse that crosses North America / the USA. I’m not sure about the 20-year part, but I do remember reading it’ll be a hella long time until the next such opportunity.

35 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

True statement. My statement is also true, when you take the full context: the next total solar eclipse that crosses North America / the USA. I’m not sure about the 20-year part, but I do remember reading it’ll be a hella long time until the next such opportunity.

You were close to your estimate. It's due to take place on August 12, 2045 and will be visible throughout much of the continental United States.