Power up points

cruisellama

Anyone playing power up points?   10 power up point = 1 Captains Club point.    We signed up and think we're on our 4th power up opportunity.   Started with just a survey now there's a offer for 50 - Power up points = 5 Captains Club points if you book a cruise.   Its nice being able to plus up an odd point or 2 that could put you over a level threshold down the road.    

I thought they should also look at allowing additional Captains Club points for some dollar amount spent on-board also.   Thought that would help with on-board revenues.  

I've been taking Power Points opportunities since @monorailmedic first wrote about it over on cruisehabit.com. Since I'm not booking cruises, and most definitely not booking cruises in the Retreat any time soon in my life, I'm limited to the survey emails that just give 10 or maybe 20 points. It still means that by the time I start cruising again I should be around 10 CC points, so even on my very first X cruise I'll have that first-tier benefit going.

Assuming that I haven't gotten to Diamond on Royal, with status match over to Elite on X. ?

I've done a couple that didn't involve booking or posting to social media.  I think I'm up 3 points.

Interesting to see that Celebrity and Azamara have merged the loyalty programs and points are earned within a common platform.  My previous Celebrity cruises shows up in my Azamara account as a previous cruise and my Azamara points equal my Celebrity points including my 3 Celebrity PowerUp points.  It also reflects "Discoverer" status based on Elite on Celebrity based on my C&A status.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 3:49 PM, twangster said:

I've done a couple that didn't involve booking or posting to social media.  I think I'm up 3 points.

Interesting to see that Celebrity and Azamara have merged the loyalty programs and points are earned within a common platform.  My previous Celebrity cruises shows up in my Azamara account as a previous cruise and my Azamara points equal my Celebrity points including my 3 Celebrity PowerUp points.  It also reflects "Discoverer" status based on Elite on Celebrity based on my C&A status.  

The reciprocity between the three major lines in the group is the reason we've zoned in on the RCL family.   When we started cruising, we tried a number of different lines.  But really like Celebrity/Royal ships so have stayed.  Hope to try Azamara down the road.  We've been playing the Power Up game, but only seen 1 awarded for participating in 4 games.  So not sure why the others were not awarded.

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

The reciprocity between the three major lines in the group is the reason we've zoned in on the RCL family.   When we started cruising, we tried a number of different lines.  But really like Celebrity/Royal ships so have stayed.  Hope to try Azamara down the road.  We've been playing the Power Up game, but only seen 1 awarded for participating in 4 games.  So not sure why the others were not awarded.

I was close to booking Azamara for a transpacific but couldn't make it work.  Moot point as it would have cancelled anyways.  Now it seems most bookable cruises are in Europe which I'm avoiding in the near term given travel uncertainties through 2021.  Hopefully I can find something on them in 2022 or 2023.  

4 hours ago, cruisellama said:

We've been playing the Power Up game, but only seen 1 awarded for participating in 4 games.  So not sure why the others were not awarded.

I think it just takes a long time for them to get around to processing them. The current points opportunity requires completing the quiz with all answers correct by Sept 15, and I think there's something like a 30- or 60-day processing window after that. I'm showing 2 CC points, and if I remember right I've now done 3 of the surveys for 1 CC point (10 PowerUp Points) and just yesterday did the latest game where you complete the quiz on the new ports to get 2 CC points.

17 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I think it just takes a long time for them to get around to processing them. The current points opportunity requires completing the quiz with all answers correct by Sept 15, and I think there's something like a 30- or 60-day processing window after that. I'm showing 2 CC points, and if I remember right I've now done 3 of the surveys for 1 CC point (10 PowerUp Points) and just yesterday did the latest game where you complete the quiz on the new ports to get 2 CC points.

I believe the point we received was from the first survey.   We did the photo & post with your favorite drink, which was worth 2, but haven't seen the fruit from that exercise yet.    Did the quiz yesterday.  Also had a flight by Celebrity booking that should be worth a point.   Did not do the cruise booking solicitation (as I already have 4 in the queue).

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure how many PowerUp points I'll get from this but something tells me I'll be 1 point shy of an important milestone at some point in the future.

That's great -  it will improve your tier loyalty position.     I thought the line should  consider a Power Up point award for amount spent on-board  to increase on-board revenue.    (Maybe 1 pt for every $1K spent).   Thinking it could be an attractive way to increase on-board revenue for those on the cusp of a new loyalty tier.  I think people would spend more if there is a bonus at the end.  Some airlines let you buy points, why not a cruise line?

• 2 months later...

Today's Power-up game gave a hint on where Celebrity might start.  It was a survey request for a number of "short"  sampler itineraries beginning April 2021.   Two, 3, 4 and 5 day cruises in the Carribean.  Early Alaska - 5 day, going to 7 in the Summer.     Key West is still a stop for Summit on the Carribean sampler.  Guess with reduced loading and ship size they can stay under the visitor limit set by the local vote.   Discussed with my TA after playing the game and she confirmed they're shooting for samplers in the spring.  Thought Europe could be close to normal in the summer, but US departures limited until Q3-4.   Said it was a port issue at a number of locations.

So hints  of April start for Celebrity.   

21 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Today's Power-up game gave a hint on where Celebrity might start.  It was a survey request for a number of "short"  sampler itineraries beginning April 2021.   Two, 3, 4 and 5 day cruises in the Carribean.  Early Alaska - 5 day, going to 7 in the Summer.     Key West is still a stop for Summit on the Carribean sampler.  Guess with reduced loading and ship size they can stay under the visitor limit set by the local vote.   Discussed with my TA after playing the game and she confirmed they're shooting for samplers in the spring.  Thought Europe could be close to normal in the summer, but US departures limited until Q3-4.   Said it was a port issue at a number of locations.

So hints  of April start for Celebrity.   

Interesting. I got the email for this "wish list" selection, I thought it was something that applied to any sailing and was waiting for 2022 itineraries to come out. Those are my wish list! ?

Guess I'll play the game now and just git'er dun.

I just went into the itinerary list and the survey form. They are taking itineraries through 2023 on that form, and in the unfiltered list of sailings (provided I click "Show more sailings" at the bottom of the page multiple times) I'm seeing longer sailings, including transatlantic and transpacific options of two weeks or longer.

So I'm definitely going to wait until next week before I fill this out. I'd prefer to put down sailings I actually would want to do, not just a pair of anything to satisfy the form. Because let's be honest, this is going to translate into more (and more-focused) emails from Celebrity in my inbox.

I've netted 13 points so far.  Not sure why I bother.  With status recognition to Elite based on Crown and Anchor I've got a long way to go to reach Elite Plus but more importantly with Always In, there is no point in having a loyalty program on Celebrity, at least in its current, revised form.  A small bag of laundry that has to be used by day 4 and a small discount on the wifi upgrade hardly seem worth it.  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

With status recognition to Elite based on Crown and Anchor I've got a long way to go to reach Elite Plus but more importantly with Always In, there is no point in having a loyalty program on Celebrity, at least in its current, revised form.  A small bag of laundry that has to be used by day 4 and a small discount on the wifi upgrade hardly seem worth it. 

I just figure, "The one constant in life is change." Always Included won't be around forever, and if it is then X will probably make changes to Captain's Club because they'll start hearing it from you and everyone else at Select / Elite / Zenith level. So why not, particularly when it doesn't look like I'll be getting to Diamond on Royal any time soon?

They're not really getting a ton of marketing data on me that they wouldn't have gotten through my bookings and browsing history, so I figure what the hell.

10 hours ago, ericfromripp said:

i thought the whole point was to reward frequent passengers.  on celebrity if you really want the points just book a higher class.  instead of taking 700 nights of cruises   just take 700,000 surveys  lol  

Now that Always In has been introduced chasing more points gets you more free laundry, not a whole lot else.  If happy in a lesser cabin just pay for laundry.  Wayyyy cheaper.  

41 minutes ago, ericfromripp said:

well , i am almost a zenith on celebrity, have 4 more cruises.  let me tell you the benefits are spectacular.  i made pinnacle 4 years ago on royal and i wouldnt trade that for anything. there is so much that happens for the top tier that is not written. the funny thing is they call diamonds and diamond plus top tier in ad material, just not the case.  pinnacle is the what the name implies top tier!!!   on the allure every night they take a bar just for the handful of us and it is all just for us every night.  my batteries in the keyboard couldnt last long enough to tell you everything.  not to mention on the global odyessy 2018 in dubai, chartered a bus for us and brought us to a polo match. royal sponsors a team they flew them in just for us.  fully catered it was awesome.

Better laundry benefit on Celebrity  ?

4 hours ago, ericfromripp said:

well , i am almost a zenith on celebrity, have 4 more cruises.  let me tell you the benefits are spectacular.  i made pinnacle 4 years ago on royal and i wouldnt trade that for anything. there is so much that happens for the top tier that is not written. the funny thing is they call diamonds and diamond plus top tier in ad material, just not the case.  pinnacle is the what the name implies top tier!!!   on the allure every night they take a bar just for the handful of us and it is all just for us every night.  my batteries in the keyboard couldnt last long enough to tell you everything.  not to mention on the global odyessy 2018 in dubai, chartered a bus for us and brought us to a polo match. royal sponsors a team they flew them in just for us.  fully catered it was awesome.

Indeed Pinnacle guests are treated well.  Leading up to Pinnacle I spent ~$4k on Voom purchases.   That perk alone saves me a bunch.  It's also nice always having 40% off the drink package just in case I feel like it - no longer have to watch for cruise planner sales.  If I feel like it I can just buy it on board but with at least 3 bottles of wine, happy hour drinks and a couple of Pinnacle events it rarely makes sense to buy the DX.  

On the Allure TA in March they used Dazzles for us.  Had CK breakfast in Chops and the CK lunch in 150CP (too many Pins on board).   Seems like all we did was sleep, eat and drink.  On top of that Sabor and Samba Grill farewell meals (both were supposed to be lost in the Amplification right after that cruise). 

I can generally find balcony cabins below OV rates and a smidge above interior now.  So yeah, Pinnacle is a great level.

However Celebrity's Elite and Elite Plus now have very few real perks.  Zenith will hopefully get lounge access back once the pandemic passes, hopefully.  

With losing so much money it will be curious to see how Pins are handled going forward.  For my 2021 cruises I'm expecting we'll lose CK access but hoping we retain Suite Lounge access.  Time will tell.  

On 12/6/2020 at 10:10 AM, ericfromripp said:

really, you dont think access to michaels club is a benefit?

Absolutely - Retreat (even better) on the revolutionized and Edge class.  But the laundry is unique to  Celebrity Capt Club perk and comes in handy for the longer trips or B2B.  We hate packing a lot of stuff so its a good perk.  Been booking suite class anyway so Retreat/Michaels already included.

20 minutes ago, ericfromripp said:

i handwash everything.  i only trust the ship for undergarment wash.  i bring a container and laundry detergent because the ship has never not damaged what i sent in. then it gets hung on the balcony to dry.  i go on most cruises and stay at least a month and because i am 6'4 could never find my size in port.  easier if the only person i trust  besides my DW is myself to wash my togs   like i said i trust them to wash my socks and thats about it.  the only cruiseline i trust with my laundry is windstar.  i have 8 long voyages with them,  every morning take my hamper, in the evening everything is pressed and in my closet and amazingly not bleach stained.

Forgot you can also just turn things inside out to get and extra day or two.

So it turned out that another PowerUp Points offer was given to watch the webinar about Apex. Had to sit through the whole thing to get the points, but at the end in the Q&A section, they had a question about whether Celebrity was going to be making changes to Captain's Club, given that the Classic Beverage Package and Internet were now part of Always Included. Short answer is "yes"; long answer had lots of typical corporate filler speak that boiled down to, "We're working on this and will have announcements coming out soon that we think our CC members will like."

@twangster, was that you who asked that question? ?

• 1 month later...

So I watched the Alaska webinar; looks like they're finally figuring out how to properly do them, the audio issues were nonexistent (but my God does Lisa Lutoff-Perlo need to spend the frigging $100 on a good mic), transitions between presenters / videos / etc went without any delays or hiccups, etc.

Once those points are credited I'll be at 27 Captain's Club points. Still a long way to go to get to Select, but considering I haven't taken a single cruise with them yet (and may not now until 2023 at earliest), I'm fine with that. Considering Verandah cabins are only 3 points per night, and their current pricing would only ever have me in Ocean View rooms (2 points), I've effectively gotten 9 / 13.5 days worth of credit from just filling out surveys, taking quizzes based on their marketing materials, and watching webinars.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I've effectively gotten 9 / 13.5 days worth of credit from just filling out surveys, taking quizzes based on their marketing materials, and watching webinars.

Are older quizzes, webinars etc still eligible for points if you watch them now?  Likely not, but still seems like this is something I should be doing with my spare time.

2 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Are older quizzes, webinars etc still eligible for points if you watch them now?  Likely not, but still seems like this is something I should be doing with my spare time.

Not sure. Each opportunity is broadcast via email to Captain's Club members, and I want to say they've all be limited-time (like a week or two). I usually click the link for the surveys and quizzes the day the emails come in, but they definitely stick around for at least a little while.

The webinars can only be watched if you register for them before they air, and then you have to stay on for the entire hour-long presentation; although the last two have also been offered after the fact, since the registration slots were filled in a matter of minutes each time. Not sure if they were tracking who tried to register and only offered the post-airing opportunity to them, or if the email went out to everyone regardless.

The webinars are definitely the most "valuable" opportunity, at 5 CC points (50 Power Up points) each; everything else is just 1 or 2 CC points. But where the other things can be done in 5-10 minutes, those webinars do require attending the session / playing the entire hour-long video and not exiting at any point. There's no fast-forward control or other controls besides volume, so I just play it in the background and listen in while doing other stuff.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

those webinars do require attending the session / playing the entire hour-long video and not exiting at any point. There's no fast-forward control or other controls besides volume, so I just play it in the background and listen in while doing other stuff.

Sounds like how I approach certain meetings while working from home.  Of course boss, I'd be happen to attend and ignore your 8th meeting this week while I get actual work done!

13 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Sounds like how I approach certain meetings while working from home.  Of course boss, I'd be happen to attend and ignore your 8th meeting this week while I get actual work done!

Just turn on, listen if you want, but WAIT till the end.  If you exit early, you'll get less points.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, monctonguy said:

I have been playing along with those points....another cpl years of no cruising but collecting these points and I should be ready to sail in style with all my points...?

Celebrity also used Power Up to incentivize bundling air travel, early booking of select spa treatments or cruise bookings to certain regions.   I thought using a Power Up process to incentivize large on-board purchases - like multi-day dinner package, excursion bundles etc could bump up on-board revenues during ordinary times.   It doesn't have to provide a gross amount of points, but a 1-3 pt boost could incentivize those on the cusp of the next Captains Club tier to make an extra on-board purchase.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, SweetHomeLady said:

Has anyone paid attention to how often the PUP opportunities come?  I am 20 points away from achieving the next tier and 50 something days from my next cruise.  I figured it would take me ages, but now I am close, thanks to 35 PUP points!

Yes - I've picked up 57 points since they've been offered.   I think its a great idea, helps you get over the bump to next level.  I think they should offer points based upon how much you spend on-board (excluding OBC).   Maybe offer 1 pt for every $1k spent on merchandise, spa, dining/drink packages etc.  I believe it would boost on-board sales.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:10 PM, SweetHomeLady said:

Has anyone paid attention to how often the PUP opportunities come?  I am 20 points away from achieving the next tier and 50 something days from my next cruise.  I figured it would take me ages, but now I am close, thanks to 35 PUP points!

I get an email for PUP about once a month. But they're starting to move more towards the "get points for booking a cruise" offers now, rather than the "fill out this survey" or "read about these sailings and take a quiz" offers that were the regular options in the beginning. Since I'm not booking anything right now, I'm only able to get points every two months or so.