What is the worst thing you've eaten on a Royal cruise

The worst (and last) meal we ever had in a MDR was the Thanksgiving Turkey/ham on NAV about 5 years ago.  It was completely inedible. We have not eaten a meal in a MDR since.

Dan also has a very bad lamb shank experience a few years ago.  We were eating in the Coastal Kitchen (Allure, I’m pretty sure) and b/c the lamb shank is Dan’s very favorite, he ordered it.  We had even told the Genie to notify the CK that we would be ordering it so that it wasn’t a big surprise.  What they brought was full of gristle and fat.  He didn’t eat any of it.  Frankly, it’s the first and only time he had lamb shank that wasn’t perfect. Maybe they were just p’ed off at having to bring it up to the MDR.  Who knows.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The worst (and last) meal we ever had in a MDR was the Thanksgiving Turkey/ham on NAV about 5 years ago.  It was completely inedible. We have not eaten a meal in a MDR since.

Dan also has a very bad lamb shank experience a few years ago.  We were eating in the Coastal Kitchen (Allure, I’m pretty sure) and b/c the lamb shank is Dan’s very favorite, he ordered it.  We had even told the Genie to notify the CK that we would be ordering it so that it wasn’t a big surprise.  What they brought was full of gristle and fat.  He didn’t eat any of it.  Frankly, it’s the first and only time he had lamb shank that wasn’t perfect. Maybe they were just p’ed off at having to bring it up grow the MDR.  Who knows.

Mine was also on the Allure, there needs to be an investigation 

The garlic bread at Jamie's Italian, for sure. To quote my own post about it:

...the garlic bread... I’m sorry, but I am Italian (ok, if I’m going to be 100% accurate, I’m Sicilian); no self-respecting Italian would even think of making anything called garlic bread with “buttermilk biscuits”!! This is why I was worried when I knew it was a Brit whose name is associated with this venue.

Our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Explorer of the Seas in 2007 the pizza at Sorrento's was awful; at least when we'd go for a slice at midnight. Also, the only option was shrimp pizza for some reason. It just tasted like it was leftover from the afternoon rush, hence no plain or other options; we covered it with crushed red pepper which made it...edible.

Kind of ironic as I've grown to love Sorrento's (now that it's fresh with more late night options) and it has been my midnight (okay, okay 2AM) snack on every cruise since. 

Edited by sk8erguy1978
typos and stuff

7 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Baked Alaskan (my apologies to our delightful forum member with the same name ?).  But, really, I think I'd hate it anywhere. A Royal Caribbean cruise was just the first (and last) time we'd ever tried it.

It's all good! And yes, that's how I picked my moniker for this site. Best Baked Alaska I had was eating at the Captain's table on the SS Norway in 1985. It's one of those good old fashioned fifties type desserts. It shouldn't be messed with. Kinda like lime jello molds and eggs in aspic. ?

Truly, I've not experienced anything bad or inedible on a ship, BUT! My husband ("bless his heart") ordered the chicken breast when we ate at Chops during our embarkation lunch on Radiance OS. Dry, chewy, and presentation, well basically a single chicken breast on a white plate. Not dressed in the least (the chicken breast, he wore clothes). Who eats chicken in a steak house? He took a bite of my filet and wished he had ordered that. Lesson learned. Go with the specialty offered. Less risky.

I would have to say the lasagna on (I think) Serenade. I don't usually order lasagna in restaurants because (modesty aside) my own is so good (I have some Italian blood) but on this occasion I let myself be swayed by someone who said they always ordered it because it was great. Lesson learned. Never again. The consistency was mush with no bite to it whatsoever. It would have been the perfect puréed baby meal! Yuk.

As far as desserts are concerned, I would agree with Tira04 about the chocolate molten cake, which was cold and anything but molten. 

I have two - roast chicken breast in the MDR on Majesty.  The roast chicken in Windjammer is beyond wonderful.  I spoke with the manager to complement them on it.  You wouldn’t think something as basic as a simply roasted chicken would be hard but as wonderful as it was in WJ, it was God AWFUL in the MDR. I mean inedible.  
Second was the roast turkey in the MDR on Mariner.  There is no way what they served me was ever an actual turkey.  I tried to just push it around my plate because my grandson was eating his with no complaints and I didn’t want to discourage his eating.  The darn waiter and Maitre’d kept hovering over me asking if I wanted something else.  Finally pulled them aside & told them to STOP!!!  Then I went to WJ for the aforementioned roast chicken (just as good as in Majesty).

On 8/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, FManke said:

I'd have to say my favorite is at Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY.

I, also a Kentuckian, believe that every crossroads in KY (especially, out here in the west) Has the best d***ed BBQ (and burgoo - lamb or no lamb) on earth... if you listen to the folks at the crossroads.?  We'll soon see about them boat cooks....?

I had a pork chop once in 2001 on Legend of the Seas that I could not cut through even with a steak knife. Fortunately, this is really the only time in cruising with RCL that I remember a truly bad/worst thing. Fortunately, the crew was very attentive and insisted that I order something else.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Olives with green saw dust?

I'm used to being a plebe and just getting sawdust and olive oil, so the olives were an upgrade.  Just kidding, Royal regularly outdoes itself on snacks so these are just a "Meh" rather than  "People thought I was in The Exorcist".