Fort Lauderdale to Miami

I was wondering if it is better to get an Uber or Lyft from Fort Lauderdale airport to Miami or if there is a better cheaper option? Flying into FLL (Southwest) because was cheaper for my cruise in Dec 2020 (fingers crossed). Booked my hotel and hope I picked an alright one.  It is pretty close to the port.  

I rent from AVIS and there is a location in downtown Miami that has a free shuttle to the cruise port.  You have to be picking the car up or dropping it off at that location to use the shuttle. 

Try pricing a one-way rental from FLL to Q8M (thats the code for the downtown Miami location to use the cruise shuttle) 

this allows me to A.  accommodate multiple people.  B.  have my own wheels for the day, so I can go where I want, and C.  I can now shop around for hotels further afield, to save some money that way also.  Downtown hotels can be pricey and once you're there you either walk around in the Florida heat, or you just end up taking more ubers to get dinner that night. I dont really have to be super close to the port for the morning of departure since I've already paid for the transport essentially.  just make sure the car is gassed up and drop it in downtown Miami and get on the shuttle.

last time I actually did this, I flew to Key West and drove route 1 (something I've always wanted to do) and stayed in Coconut Grove that night.  easy peasy.  50 bucks for the car plus petrol. 

You could also repeat this process in reverse for your return.  anything under 24 hours for the car rental should price the same.  

We do the very same thing. SWA into FLL. The cheapest and easiest way to get to Miami Cruise terminal is to get a Lyft. 
Once you collect your bags walk out the door and turn right. Walk about 300 ft and you will be at the pick up area. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the ship. Very easy. 

10 hours ago, jsheldon81 said:

I was wondering if it is better to get an Uber or Lyft from Fort Lauderdale airport to Miami or if there is a better cheaper option? Flying into FLL (Southwest) because was cheaper for my cruise in Dec 2020 (fingers crossed). Booked my hotel and hope I picked an alright one.  It is pretty close to the port.  

I have used Jiffy Jeff shuttle.  They run about 15.00 pp one way.  It is a shared shuttle.  I have stayed in Fll with a hotel with an airport shuttle and then shuttled back to the airport to pick up the shuttle.  It is pretty easy.

We almost always fly from DTW to FLL (same thing, way cheaper) and we find Uber/Lyft to be the most convenient and cheapest option for getting to Miami.  We've had awful experiences with taxi drivers at FLL over the years so we gave up on that.  If you don't need a larger Uber/Lyft SUV, it's about $40 total (sometimes less) to get from FLL to downtown Miami.  Not bad at all.

20 hours ago, jsheldon81 said:

Uber or Lyft is the best option. Avoid cabs if possible.