Mothballed ships driving around aimlessly.

pezzy669

So in my random cruise line internet browsing I came upon cruise mapper that lets you see boats location and track in real time (interesting site.....imagine more interesting when cruises are happening).     

I noticed quite a few boats from different lines just randomly cruising around in the Caribbean -  for example Symphony of the Seas has just gone back and forth and round and round just north of where the other RC fleet is sitting idle.

Are the boats like cars where you need to drive them around on occasion to keep things moving per say and its more problematic to just leave them parked?   Are these training runs?              

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 8.24.32 PM.png

While they may not actively be cruising I can imagine there are certain types of work that are being done.  And some of that work will also require them to move around and make turns to ensure that things still work correctly.  Something as simple as replacing a piece of navigation hardware or updating some software will mean lots of checks because if they are going along and it acts up bad things can happen.

And in a lot of ways the ships are more like a power plant than a car.  They don't just get mothballed and left to sit.